Harrison Barnes writes diary for SLAM Magazine; other recruiting tid-bits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from Marcus:

Harrison Barnes writes SLAM diary
By Marcus Fuller

There was a time when only recruiting gurus and diehard fans of player rankings knew the name Harrison Barnes.

As if being named the No. 1 recruit in the country this year wasn't big enough, the Gophers target and standout wing from Ames, Iowa, now writes a national diary for SLAM magazine. His debut column is in the current (September 2009) issue with Kobe Bryant on the cover.

Former SLAM diary high school writers include players with Minnesota Timberwolves ties (Kevin Love, Sebastian Telfair, Stephon Marbury), and, of course, there was also a year with LeBron James.

While touring the spring and summer basketball scene with local AAU program Howard Pulley, Barnes' story -- seems as interested in reading books and getting a solid education as playing hoops and making it to the NBA -- has been well documented in articles from USA Today to the New York Times. He's also expected to have one of his high school games televised on ESPN in mid-December.

"Playing with my program, he got the opportunity to play on the biggest stage," said Pulley, who took Barnes to Boo Williams, the Memorial Day Classic and the Peach Jam this year. "One thing about him, though, is that he's mentally prepared for the next level, along with his physical skills and talent. He's ready to go play college ball this fall. It's a shame he has to play high school basketball one more year."

Barnes, who has been followed heavily by Duke, North Carolina and Kansas all summer, recently finished as one of the top scorers in the Nike Peach Jam in Augusta, Ga., this week, while helping Howard Pulley to a 2-3 record, including a win against Houston Hoops.

-- Fellow Pulley player and Columbia Heights guard Jacob Thomas was one of the top three-point shooters at the event. Thomas, a Gophers target, struggled in the first two games with just two field goals combined, but lit it up in the last three games. He then picked up offers from Southern Illinois and Long Beach State, according to Pulley. There's still no official offer from Minnesota, because of Thomas' grades.

-- With Henry point guard Jordan Hughes out with an injury, Pulley decided to bring up 15-year-old Hopkins guard Siyani Chambers to start in the backcourt. Benilde-St. Margaret's guard Isaiah Zierdan also picked up a lot of valuable experience playing with the older squad at the Peach Jam this week.

-- Barnes won't be playing with Pulley any longer this summer. He will work out individually to prepare for the Elite 24 camp and the Nike Global Challenge.

-- Pulley said Cretin-Derham Hall offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson would concentrate on football for the rest of the summer. Henderson was his starting center at the Peach Jam.

-- There have been reports that Madison Memorial (Wis.) guard Vander Blue might make a decision later this month or in early August. I've been hearing that he is leaning toward recommitting to Wisconsin, although he has offers from Minnesota, Arizona and Indiana to name a few.

-- Another Gophers target, Nebraska big man Elliot Eliason might be close to making an oral commitment, but it's not to Minnesota. I've heard the 6-foot-11 center might make Creighton his choice, but Colorado State is also in there.

-- The Illinois Warriors beat Minnesota Pump N Run in the 17-and-under finals of the Best Buy Classic in Bloomington on Wednesday. The Warriors lost in the semifinals in the same gym at the Sabes Invitational earlier this summer.

Go Gophers!!

There's still no official offer from Minnesota, because of Thomas' grades.

Maybe Tubby should explain this concept to Brewster.

Apples and Oranges.

In relation to the situation they are in. Brewster needs to gamble and can afford to do so with 25 or so scholarships each year. Tubby doesn't have to gamble, nor should he with only 3-4 per year.

There's still no official offer from Minnesota, because of Thomas' grades.

Maybe Tubby should explain this concept to Brewster.
Wow. Comparing apples to oranges are we? Out of twenty plus kids you are going to have at least one or two not get cleared. Tubby got luck with Rodney. Just think of Rodney did not qualify than 25% of Tubby's class would have not gotten into school.

Wow. Comparing apples to oranges are we? Out of twenty plus kids you are going to have at least one or two not get cleared. Tubby got luck with Rodney. Just think of Rodney did not qualify than 25% of Tubby's class would have not gotten into school.

Whoa Balds, I didn't even see your post. Great minds think a like.

Jacob has farther to go to qualify than Rodney, which is not good news. While I think the smart money is still on Blue back to Bucky, I've heard Marquette mentioned from a couple people.

Rodney Williams got in. Wonder why these **** star guys who get denied entrance don't get heavily recruited by their local schools. If Tubby hadn't signed Williams, Bo Ryan would have. The characters Brewster is taking flyers on are different cases. How many of the Skyline crew do you expect to graduate or compete for 4 years?

Rodney Williams got in. Wonder why these **** star guys who get denied entrance don't get heavily recruited by their local schools. If Tubby hadn't signed Williams, Bo Ryan would have. The characters Brewster is taking flyers on are different cases. How many of the Skyline crew do you expect to graduate or compete for 4 years?

I'll take a stab and say 4.

Rodney Williams got in. Wonder why these **** star guys who get denied entrance don't get heavily recruited by their local schools. If Tubby hadn't signed Williams, Bo Ryan would have. The characters Brewster is taking flyers on are different cases.

Had Brewster not signed Hasan Lipscomb, then Bo Pelini at Nebraska or Mike Sherman at Texas A&M or Art Briles at Baylor would have. So, how are they different cases?

My understanding was that Rodney Williams wasn't a big risk because he was making progress and needed to finish strong. He could have signed with any Big Ten team.

Is anyone surprised that Lipscomb didn't qualify? It was reported that he was long-shot to get in a while ago. Wasn't Maturi less than happy with Brewster about cases like this a year ago? Signaling the Skyline 4 wasn't fair, but made because they constituted a good fraction of the entire class, had 2 **** players, and one didn't initially qualify. I'll retract that and ask what percentage of the 2008 class will graduate and play 4 years and will Brewster be here to see the results?

brewster needs to be taking shots on these players to get the program out of the dumps. And even so what has happened this year is no different than any other D1 school. The only difference is that instead of 3 and 2* players they are 4 and your not used to us being in on these players

Top Bottom