U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game: Vermont at No. 9 Minnesota

Reaction score
Date: Saturday, Oct. 10, 2015
Puck Drop: 7:05 p.m. CT
TV: FOX Sports North PLUS
Radio: 1500 ESPN
Stream: BTN2Go, FOX Sports Go

Quotes and Notes
Lone senior, A.J. Michaelson, is impressed by the bevy of youngsters in Maroon and Gold this season.

“They’re very skilled,” said Michaelson. “They can move the puck. They can shoot. It’s going to be a fun year seeing how they progress and seeing how they do.”

The Gophers don’t have an experienced team but will rely on their experienced forwards for the bulk of point production.

“When I look at the [returning] group of forwards that are going to be counted on,” said Lucia. “I think every guy looks better than what they did. Especially the key guys we’re counting on.”

Although the Gophers will play a large number of freshmen, Lucia is comfortable with his team heading into the season.

“Right now, I’m pretty comfortable with who the six defensemen are going to be. [We’re] comfortable with probably 11 of the 12 forwards that are going to play…we could have 10 new guys in our lineup on Saturday than what finished the year last year.”

A key for Lucia this season is having better communication with his players, especially with his captains, Justin Kloos, Jake Bischoff, Hudson Fasching, and Connor Reilly.

“I want to make sure that I’m doing a good job communicating what our expectations are with every player, what role they need to fill, areas they can improve. Whether it’s meeting with the captains on a weekly basis or touching base with all the players on a regular basis so they have a good understanding. If the guys have issues, go through the captains. The captains have a lot of say and input on things we do around here.”

The Gophers will likely start three freshmen center, Tom Novak, Tyler Sheehy and Darian Romanko.

“Right now we have three freshmen centers out of four. You’d like to have a little more veteran up the middle but we’ll see if those guys will handle it early on.”

Storyline Central
Vermont isn’t off to a great start already. Although they enter the game 0-0-0, the Catamounts lost their exhibition game against Acadia University, 2-1. Alexander Benoit of the Vermont Cynic provides the recap of the meaningless loss.

Vermont Public Radio provides a solid season preview for the Catamounts (among other Vermont college hockey teams). Just stick with the UVM section and you’ll get a good picture of what the Gophers are facing in their first game.

Thanks Travis. Really looking forward to seeing the young guys. Should be a fun and hopefully overachieving season.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom