Wisconsin chancellor says Michigan, Ohio State overpaying coaches; Alvarez disagrees

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

We know what bulletin-board material means in locker rooms. What about presidential boardrooms?

Jim Harbaugh is making $7 million at Michigan this season, including a $2 million one-time signing bonus, and Urban Meyer is making $5.86 million for defending national champion Ohio State. USA TODAY Sports asked Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank what she makes of Big Ten peers who are paying their coaches so much.

“Those are the choices they make,” she said in an interview for a story about coaching salaries. “That really begins to threaten the whole sense that we are not professional athletic teams. I’m not terribly happy about the fact that they made those choices. That’s my opinion.”

Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez doesn’t share it.

“I look at it as their business,” he says. “I do. I don’t concern myself. I don’t feel like we’re in competition with salaries at Ohio State or Michigan. … When you’re Ohio State and football is as important as it is in that state, and you have an opportunity to hire someone who has a couple of national championships in his hip pocket and is from that state, it makes sense to pay him. He’s that valuable. … And Harbaugh, I think it’s a coup for Michigan and our league. I think he is worthy of that salary. That’s what they can command. The market drives that.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng-coaches-jim-harbaugh-urban-meyer/73578490/

Go Gophers!!

per USA Today:

We know what bulletin-board material means in locker rooms. What about presidential boardrooms?

Jim Harbaugh is making $7 million at Michigan this season, including a $2 million one-time signing bonus, and Urban Meyer is making $5.86 million for defending national champion Ohio State. USA TODAY Sports asked Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank what she makes of Big Ten peers who are paying their coaches so much.

“Those are the choices they make,” she said in an interview for a story about coaching salaries. “That really begins to threaten the whole sense that we are not professional athletic teams. I’m not terribly happy about the fact that they made those choices. That’s my opinion.”

Wisconsin athletics director Barry Alvarez doesn’t share it.

“I look at it as their business,” he says. “I do. I don’t concern myself. I don’t feel like we’re in competition with salaries at Ohio State or Michigan. … When you’re Ohio State and football is as important as it is in that state, and you have an opportunity to hire someone who has a couple of national championships in his hip pocket and is from that state, it makes sense to pay him. He’s that valuable. … And Harbaugh, I think it’s a coup for Michigan and our league. I think he is worthy of that salary. That’s what they can command. The market drives that.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng-coaches-jim-harbaugh-urban-meyer/73578490/

Go Gophers!!

Dr. Blank - we hardly knew ya!!!!

Based on how their team/programs are performing, I'd say both Meyer and Harbaugh are earning their pay checks.

Only in coaching can you get fired, take a step back career wise and make more money.

depends how you view it in one sense Alvarez is right, but at the same time, inflating the salaries for someone like Harbough, who probably wouldn't even get 5 mill, which is still a lot at any other school. I think in the future someone like Chip Kelly is going to want at least Harbough money. I wonder what I school like Texas would pay for Chip Kelly or even Jim's brother John? What if Mike Tomlin decided he'd like to take a swing at the college game?

Friday's USA Today with huge two-page list of coach's salaries. Man, are they paid well! At $2.2 mil, Kill a little below average, but not too much. How about some offense for that windfall, coach!

Top Bottom