USA Today: Flailing USC needs Chip Kelly as its coach, not Steve Sarkisian

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

You know it when you see it.

And what you see at Southern California nearing the halfway point of the 2015 season is the failed regime of Steve Sarkisian and a program desperately in need of Chip Kelly.

No. 17 USC lost to unranked Washington on Thursday night, 17-12. It stands as the most inexplicable loss of the Sarkisian era, though there are many to choose from in his 18 games as the Trojans’ head coach.

It’s over. At least it should be.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es-coach-chip-kelly-steve-sarkisian/73629682/

Go Gophers!!

It's his second year! Granted he has plenty of talent two work with, but it gets old seeing schools like USC and possibly Texas giving up on coaches after 2 years.

Is it just me or does it seem like the leash for coaches at major programs has become ridiculously short. It looks like Texas and now USC are both getting ready to pull the plug on coaches that have been at their school for less than 2 years. Even Mike Riley at Nebraska is listed as on the hot seat according to some in his first year.

It seems like coaches used to get at least 3-5 years to prove themselves before getting the ax. I wonder why any coach would take on a program where their predecessor only lasted two seasons. I guess it's ego that makes all these guys think they can succeed where the previous guy failed.

Its ridiculous. I know fan bases want to win now, but too bad. Coaching changes are upheaval. Familiarity and consistency lead to more stability, not coaching changes. We'll see how that plays out at Wisconsin with all the changes. USC will always get the top kids from California and therefore be a top 25 level team. Nebraska on the other hand better be careful they don't go through a 10 year period of fringe bowl status. Sarkisian deserves a few more years. Riley definitely deserves 3 years before you judge. Texas is a dumpster fire, but not sure the coach is the issue (the whole athletic department is a mess).

When calling, or not calling, for a coaches head, I always try and remember these are men with families. And this is their livelihood. Trying to remember that helps one find patience.

Not only the short leash aspect, but why Chip Kelly? What a random name to single out and bring up. The fact that he made it more about Chip Kelly than Steve Sarkisian "failing" reeks of axe-grinding and agenda-pushing.

I watched the 4 th qtr and that was amazing to watch. USC was running it for 10 yds a pop in the 4 th qtr but none of their coaches were smart enough to keep running it. They kept dropping Kessler back even though he had 0 success passing. It was unbelievable/comical. Their only TD in the 4th was 3 runs for about 45 yards, and the 3rd Rush was a one yard TD! It was like Chris Peterson knew USC would be too pig headed to run. Never seen anything like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USC has never really been a spread option team. Drop back passing defines USC. Should have elevated Orgeron (team played lights out for him) and his defensive scheme, instead of Kiffen then Sark, the boy wonders that have proven nothing.

Why they abandoned the run last night....fireable offense.

I tuned in for a bit in the 1st quarter, the coliseum was about 1/3 full. Spoiled fan base.

I tuned in for a bit in the 1st quarter, the coliseum was about 1/3 full. Spoiled fan base.

Looks like they drew about 63,000 for the game. You are certainly correct about the fickle fan base in LA, but have you ever tried to get somewhere in Los Angeles at 6:00pm on a weekday? It is challenging, to say the least.

Looks like they drew about 63,000 for the game. You are certainly correct about the fickle fan base in LA, but have you ever tried to get somewhere in Los Angeles at 6:00pm on a weekday? It is challenging, to say the least.

Thankfully I have not. 63,000 would surprise me. It looked like about 20k at the end of the first.

USC has never really been a spread option team. Drop back passing defines USC. Should have elevated Orgeron (team played lights out for him) and his defensive scheme, instead of Kiffen then Sark, the boy wonders that have proven nothing.

Why they abandoned the run last night....fireable offense.

Yep. Too bad he wasn't a USC "guy" or a "name". That seemed to be the major qualifications for the powers to be at USC.

I"d get behind this campaign!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Yep. Too bad he wasn't a USC "guy" or a "name". That seemed to be the major qualifications for the powers to be at USC.

Yes, they are very into staying in the family around here, if possible. He's probably not blue blood enough for USC.

Going back to the game, they were getting defensive looks we can only dream about at MN, eg 5 in the box due to the legit USC passing attack, and yet kept throwing. It was insane, coaching malpractice similar to Kent State. It also shows how good of a coach Peterson is. He knows his opponent.

Yes, they are very into staying in the family around here, if possible. He's probably not blue blood enough for USC.

Going back to the game, they were getting defensive looks we can only dream about at MN, eg 5 in the box due to the legit USC passing attack, and yet kept throwing. It was insane, coaching malpractice similar to Kent State. It also shows how good of a coach Peterson is. He knows his opponent.

Pete Carroll didn't have any ties to USC before taking the head coaching job there. That worked out alright.

Agreed, but they keep going back to that Carroll coaching tree, trying to recapture the Carroll magic. Why Sark over Orgeron I'm not sure. He was more like Carroll than either of the two.

Should have kept Pendergrast and his defense as well. As soon as Kiffen left the offense performed much better and the defense was pretty good under Pendergrast. Certainly playing well enough to compete at the highest level.

Top Bottom