Good Q & A about the Gophers OL

I'm usually not the type to bump threads but I posted this late last night and didn't want people to miss it. I think it is a very good read.

Very good read. Thanks for posting.

Follow him on Twitter. His breakdowns are outstanding.

He has been critical of the coaches and scheme. The more sensitive posters won't want to read it.

Great stuff! Just learned more about O-line play in 10 minutes than I did in 30 years playing and watching football.

Yes, very interesting learning about how the big guys operate. As the o line goes the team goes it seems.

He has been critical of the coaches and scheme. The more sensitive posters won't want to read it.

Why would anybody be critical of him? First, he actually knows something and he presents it in a calm clear way. Second, he isn't that critical and understands the struggles that the Gophers are having. He does have some suggestions as to some possible solutions but he is not that critical. There is no resemblance between him and the many GopherHole experts who rant and rave here. Just saying.

Why would anybody be critical of him? First, he actually knows something and he presents it in a calm clear way. Second, he isn't that critical and understands the struggles that the Gophers are having. He does have some suggestions as to some possible solutions but he is not that critical. There is no resemblance between him and the many GopherHole experts who rant and rave here. Just saying.

I think your assessment that nobody knows anything is coloring your view. The offense has been a power 5 outlier for years. Even last year the offense was not feared. Its closer to a punchline than an unstoppable machine and a lot of of it is the preparation and playcalling. The injuries don't help, but the brand is being hurt if they cant perform at even mediocre standards and move the ball vs the likes of Kent State. Im not going to put words in Derek's mouth but if you lisren to the podcasts he seems as incredulous about the overall tactical strategy on gameday as the rest of us. He also harps on the lack of execution. Is that lack of talent, injuries, poor effort, or insufficient coaching? Probably all the above this year.

I think your assessment that nobody knows anything is coloring your view. The offense has been a power 5 outlier for years. Even last year the offense was not feared. Its closer to a punchline than an unstoppable machine and a lot of of it is the preparation and playcalling. The injuries don't help, but the brand is being hurt if they cant perform at even mediocre standards and move the ball vs the likes of Kent State. Im not going to put words in Derek's mouth but if you lisren to the podcasts he seems as incredulous about the overall tactical strategy on gameday as the rest of us. He also harps on the lack of execution. Is that lack of talent, injuries, poor effort, or insufficient coaching? Probably all the above this year.

It is clear that both of have views that are probably coming from different starting points. As you pointed out in your bold statement above there is a lot of things in play that are affecting the results. The problem is that we think linear and end up on focusing on one thing. Then add to this what we don't know or see as fans plus our biases, our conclusions aren't going to be as rational as we think they are. That is reality. We just need to realize this but I know that not going to happen.

The performance of the offensive line completely surprises me and is not what I expected when the Gophers hired Kill. Northern Illinois was so precise with great technique when they played us. I don't understand why he hasn't been able to replicate that with the U.

The performance of the offensive line completely surprises me and is not what I expected when the Gophers hired Kill. Northern Illinois was so precise with great technique when they played us. I don't understand why he hasn't been able to replicate that with the U.

Playing a Brewster team. Of course they looked good.

Top Bottom