Gophers Depth Chart vs Purdue; Jeff Jones listed as out

He is injured.

According to some people here that is just an excuse. Every team has injuries, therefore we should just deal with it. As far as I know the way you deal with it is you put him on the injury list.:rolleyes:

The depth chart is a joke. The cloak and dagger concerning injuries in college football is also a joke. If a kid is on scholarship that should include his football related injury being public. Instead you got coaches being vague about everything. The policy should be all teams disclose injuries and who is playing like the NFL.

If a kid is on scholarship that should include his football related injury being public. Instead you got coaches being vague about everything. The policy should be all teams disclose injuries and who is playing like the NFL.

Preposterous. HIPAA supersedes all, as it should. Injury disclosure is part of the NFL because they are employees and it's collectively bargained.

The depth chart is a joke. The cloak and dagger concerning injuries in college football is also a joke. If a kid is on scholarship that should include his football related injury being public. Instead you got coaches being vague about everything. The policy should be all teams disclose injuries and who is playing like the NFL.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion...

Not speaking to Jones' situation specifically, but I've heard theories that football players seem to be getting injured more often now (college and NFL) because there's so much less contact in practices. Your body gets conditioned to being hit, so you build up strength and are better able to fend off injury from hits. It doesn't apply for things like ACL tears or concussions, but I could see it being the case in other circumstances.

I agree with this 100%.

Not speaking to Jones' situation specifically, but I've heard theories that football players seem to be getting injured more often now (college and NFL) because there's so much less contact in practices. Your body gets conditioned to being hit, so you build up strength and are better able to fend off injury from hits. It doesn't apply for things like ACL tears or concussions, but I could see it being the case in other circumstances.

While there may be something to that I think another big part of the injury increase is that the players are so much bigger and stronger then they used to be. The game has always been physical and violent but in the past the players were not nearly as well conditioned and fast as they are today. Watch an old NFL films video and then compare it to what you see in today's game. The difference in speed is shocking.

One of the reasons why the NFL releases injury information has to do with gambling. They didn't want gamblers trying to bribe team doctors, trainers, players or coaches to get "inside information" on injuries, so they just make it all public.

One of the reasons why the NFL releases injury information has to do with gambling. They didn't want gamblers trying to bribe team doctors, trainers, players or coaches to get "inside information" on injuries, so they just make it all public.

There's no gambling on College Football so they don't have to release injury information. Oh wait????????

I agree but with a different twist. It's not only the lack of strength but the lack of skill to avoid hits and take a hit properly in practice that must adding to the frequency. It is crazy how many kids get hurt these days. If the only heavy hitting you do is on Saturday then yeah you are not going to be ready for a steady diet of hitting for a full season.

I agree but with a different twist. It's not only the lack of strength but the lack of skill to avoid hits and take a hit properly in practice that must adding to the frequency. It is crazy how many kids get hurt these days. If the only heavy hitting you do is on Saturday then yeah you are not going to be ready for a steady diet of hitting for a full season.

I tend to disagree. Hits are hits regardless if it is in game or in practice. If someone gets injured after 50 hits in games, are they really less likely to get hurt if they instead take 50 hits in practice? I think this is more of a bigger/stronger/faster at an earlier age issue.

Why not? The information eventually gets out there anyway. If you want privacy don't play major college sports.

The NFL only does it for gambling, which they don't condone. That's a bigger joke.

I might be crazy, but does a bigger head size correlate to higher incidence of concussion. My first thought seeing JJ up close was that he needed a bigger helmet. It looked like they had to pry in on. Another guy who I had similar thoughts on was Mike Vick, who has had a horrible history with concussions.

Bobek and punting against the wind

Kill excoriated Bobek at length during the third quarter, and Bobek walked on by.

With only a few seconds left in the third quarter, the Gophers were lined up to punt WITH THE WIND but the ball was never hiked before the quarter ran out. As a result the Gophers had to punt against the wind. Kill was very seriously POed and Bobek pulled away from Kill and walked on by. I remember thinking, this is not something you do to Coach Kill - he doesn't take stuff like this well. Don't know if Bobek is in the doghouse or not, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

There is a definite protocol within the program that ALL the players know. It's the reason Kill's teams tend to have a steady rise and not years of ups and downs. Once his guys are in place, the older ones teach the younger ones. You've heard it from the recruits, who get if from their Gopher hosts. Recruits choose to come here and be a part of this because everyone is pretty much on the same page. Roderick Williams is a different cat. He was supposed to be the guy and last game, he didn't get an offensive snap. But, he's bought in, and he's all in. Some high-profile guys haven't. They're no longer the program. Some had to change, did, and wound up getting NFL paychecks. I'm surprised JJ has had no impact, and hope it's just injuries. Those who are at the games get to see the players and body language, and all those things that don't show up on TV.

The situation with Bobek and Kill on the sideline doesn't sound good, but also doesn't sound like something that couldn't be worked out. If Bobek was one of our better performing lineman, and JK wants to send a message, he'll do it privately, which is the right way.

I think we have a good football team. I think the toughest part of our schedule is left and our best football, as well.

JJ and Bobek are both injured. Why are folks looking for something more where there just isn't.

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere, but who are the eight starters out?

Lauer
Christensen
Plsek
Travis
BBC
James, I guess

Who else?

I just read the Strib article, states Laeur and Christensen are back, Bjorklund will play so I'm doubly perplexed. I guess Bobek can be put on the list

With only a few seconds left in the third quarter, the Gophers were lined up to punt WITH THE WIND but the ball was never hiked before the quarter ran out. As a result the Gophers had to punt against the wind. Kill was very seriously POed and Bobek pulled away from Kill and walked on by. I remember thinking, this is not something you do to Coach Kill - he doesn't take stuff like this well. Don't know if Bobek is in the doghouse or not, but it is not out of the realm of possibility.

What would not getting the punt off have to do with Bobek?

Well, Bobek was pancaked by the tackle on that last third down play. Didn't really affect the pass to Wolitarsky or the punt delay but maybe Kill had seen some other things earlier in the game and let it be known he (Bobek) wasn't playing to par. Maybe he was just letting off some steam. The game was pretty much out of hand at point.

Duke, Rogers, Campion, Bobek - I think.

Duke never played a snap, but I'll give it to you. Rogers wasn't a day 1 starter. Campion is playing (supposedly)? Bobek...do we know the story on him yet?

???? Bobek doesnt snap for punts?

stop trying spreading rumors?

Long Snapper is Payton Jordahl why would Bobek be blaimed for not getting the snap off for the punt?

JJ and Bobek are both injured. Why are folks looking for something more where there just isn't.
There is absolutely no substance to this speculation. Regarding the situation with Kill and Bobek; the NW DE was bull rushing on the pass. The left guard, Foster Bush, had his right leg crossed behind Bobek's left leg as he pass set and he and the DE made contact. Bobek's left leg was pinned by Bush's leg and he couldn't give ground as an OL would normally do. Effectively, he was being high-lowed by the DE and Bush. Kill thought Bobek simply got bullrushed, and couldn't have known about the trip by Bush. I'm sure the film demonstrated the circumstance. Kill voiced his displeasure, but there was no disrespect by Bobek, whatsoever.
There are many things that go unnoticed or are unknown to the casual observer. There is also a lot of frustration on the part of the coaches and players, especially on offense. **** happens and football sidelines can be a volatile place, but any conclusions about these kinds of events are pure speculation. The video of the play demonstrates exactly what happened though, but you have to know what to look for.

Top Bottom