Leidner starting at Purdue

Go4

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If he didn't think he needed to start him for the Ohio game I don't see why we would expect to see that change unless Mitch goes on an INT streak.

He SHOULD start. If he plays well, leave him in. It will be good to get Croft SOME snaps, but ML7 needs to start.

He SHOULD start. If he plays well, leave him in. It will be good to get Croft SOME snaps, but ML7 needs to start.[/

He SHOULD? . What has he done that would tell you he should start?

He SHOULD start. If he plays well, leave him in. It will be good to get Croft SOME snaps, but ML7 needs to start.
He NEEDS to start you say? Have you watched the games so far? I can't think of one thing Leidner brings to the table that Croft doesn't except experience which hasn't helped Leidner improve one bit. I refuse to believe Croft would be a worse passer, we know he's a better runner, and maybe he won't fumble EVERY game like Leidner. Mitch has had his chance and the only thing that's been proven is he is way over his head as a BIG QB. Time to move on.

It's the right move. Give him the first couple of drives to get something going, and see if it lit a fire anywhere. If not, its back to clipboard duty [until Croft implodes].

SMH

Well at least the Cubs won last night so I will only have to suffer through the 1st half of this game

It's the right move. Give him the first couple of drives to get something going, and see if it lit a fire anywhere. If not, its back to clipboard duty [until Croft implodes].

It is the right move. I am sure Croft will get some run too, as he should.

My favorite Reusse trolls this week have been him pointing out that Leidner actually has better stats than Bridgewater so far this season, but nobody is calling for Teddy's head like they are Mitch.

From 10,000 feet I think Leidner should start too. Game 6 on the road...backup played in game 5 only. Yes, Croft passed the eye test but he didn't lead us down the field or post amazing stats. I could make an argument why that didn't happen but it didn't. I'm guessing the team is at least comfortable with Mitch and starting Croft isn't another thing for the rest of the team to worry and wonder how he'll play going into the game. And get Croft some snaps unless we have no turnovers and never punt.

This means the Gopher offense will be the same old - but it will work against Purdue, which gives up the most points in the conference. There might be a trick play here or there, and Croft will play a little. Problem is that it won't work against Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, who will all stuff the run and do a Northwestern on Mitch.

He NEEDS to start you say? Have you watched the games so far? I can't think of one thing Leidner brings to the table that Croft doesn't except experience which hasn't helped Leidner improve one bit. I refuse to believe Croft would be a worse passer, we know he's a better runner, and maybe he won't fumble EVERY game like Leidner. Mitch has had his chance and the only thing that's been proven is he is way over his head as a BIG QB. Time to move on.

The one thing I will give Croft right now is that he is probably a faster runner. Outside of that we don't know what kind of grasp he has of the playbook, how good he is at reading defenses and making the right decisions, how comfortable he working with the receivers.....

Mitch has not been good this year but it does not surprise me one bit that the coaches are going to start him against Purdue.

He SHOULD? . What has he done that would tell you he should start?

He's just a winner. Obviously you should start a guy if he's a winner. /s

EDIT: Oops, guess I'm too late. Someone had already made this argument sincerely.

This means the Gopher offense will be the same old - but it will work against Purdue, which gives up the most points in the conference. There might be a trick play here or there, and Croft will play a little. Problem is that it won't work against Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, who will all stuff the run and do a Northwestern on Mitch.

It didn't work against Kent State or Ohio. I wouldn't look past this game to Nebraska, etc. I, myself, am not so sure they can beat Purdue this weekend. If they lose to Purdue, and I question whether or not they can even salvage a bowl bid.

Guys, I have watched every play of every game so far this season. He needs to start.

I didn't say he needed to finish.....

Like many on the offensive side, Mitch has not had a great year, but I think he has improved. He does need to protect the football better, which is at the top of the priority list, right behind the other 10 guys doing their jobs.

My favorite Reusse trolls this week have been him pointing out that Leidner actually has better stats than Bridgewater so far this season, but nobody is calling for Teddy's head like they are Mitch.

Stats are for losers. The eye test is all we need and watching Leidner throw a football is painful.

Why play Croft last week if he's not going to see significant time through the rest of the year. Why not put Perra in rather than waste Croft's redshirt for some spot mop up duty. Now that Croft's redshirt is gone it will be a complete waste if he's not utilized in a significant role.

Why play Croft last week if he's not going to see significant time through the rest of the year. Why not put Perra in rather than waste Croft's redshirt for some spot mop up duty. Now that Croft's redshirt is gone it will be a complete waste if he's not utilized in a significant role.

Exactly. And Kill also knows this. Leidner may be starting this week but I'll wager anything that from this point forward Croft gets more snaps. Otherwise there was zero point in playing him last week.

When did Kill mention Croft wasn't going to play or play significant minutes? Playing Mitch the first drive or two in a must win game doesn't seem that radical.

I would trade Mitch for Teddy..... can we do that? Please?

Think it is pretty clear that Perra is not an option the coaches have any faith in as the primary backup otherwise they would have played him over Croft in order to keep the redshirt in tact. I would be shocked if they don't figure out ways to work Croft in and get him some live game reps but they also probably don't feel he is ready to be handed the reigns of the offense which is understandable since the kid is a true freshman and he is not someone that was regarded as an elite HS QB prospect so chances are very good he isn't even close to ready to be an impact QB at the college level.

I am sure the coaches would have loved to let Croft sit for a year or two and develop but they realized that they needed a backup option to be ready to play if Mitch got hurt or continues to struggle and when they looked at the available options Croft was the next best choice. It is a bad situation all the way around on offense right now.

Think it is pretty clear that Perra is not an option the coaches have any faith in as the primary backup otherwise they would have played him over Croft in order to keep the redshirt in tact. I would be shocked if they don't figure out ways to work Croft in and get him some live game reps but they also probably don't feel he is ready to be handed the reigns of the offense which is understandable since the kid is a true freshman and he is not someone that was regarded as an elite HS QB prospect so chances are very good he isn't even close to ready to be an impact QB at the college level.

I am sure the coaches would have loved to let Croft sit for a year or two and develop but they realized that they needed a backup option to be ready to play if Mitch got hurt or continues to struggle and when they looked at the available options Croft was the next best choice. It is a bad situation all the way around on offense right now.
Another way of saying they have recruited like crap at the most important position on the team and the coaching is questionable. They don't improve!

Most of us don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but without a great deal of imagination it appears Croft has demonstrated on the practice field enough to move up to #2. In the fourth quarter last week, it seemed a reasonable time to get our #2 some playing time. I think Perra, the #3, may also get some snaps in the coming weeks, if possible, so we have some experienced options if Mitch gets hurt in Indianapolis.

Exactly. And Kill also knows this. Leidner may be starting this week but I'll wager anything that from this point forward Croft gets more snaps. Otherwise there was zero point in playing him last week.

There's precedent for this staff wasting a redshirt for very little playing time - Connor Mayes, Gary Moore, probably others I'm forgetting. It's not going to happen because Croft will be mixed in and get snaps, but anyone surprised by someone playing sparingly in their true freshman season hasn't been paying attention.

Top Bottom