STrib: Coach Jerry Kill says 20 players missed practice Wednesday because of injuries

Yeeeaaah I don't think you're giving these players enough credit.
Starting quarterback is not healthy.
KJ Maye spit up blood on the sidelines with a bruised lung at CSU and Wolitarsky had a concussion, Gentry had a hamstring for alot of fall camp and the first 3 games.
Campion may not have his concussion anymore but he's not mobile enough to play LT which probably means he's got something else not reported. One starter practiced yesterday on the Oline, probably Mayes or Bobek. Pirsig has a shoulder injury bad enough the coaches have questioned if he's able to play and he has toughed it out.
We were down to our 5th string TE, we are now down to our 3rd string safeties and CB's.
None of those injuries are "boo boos".
Our whole program under Kill is based upon winning up front on the OL. It sets up the running game, the passing game, and keeps the D off the field. Right now because of the reality of injuries we cannot win up front.
No coach can simply throw out the playbook and "scheme" a brand new identity for the program.

I agree with most everything you say. Not diminishing the guys playing hurt at all. They are warriors but I also think most every other team has the same thing going on...don't you? For me it's about the focus...talk about the injuries after you go 7 and 5 why you didn't go 8 and 4 but don't sabatage the season giving people reasons or excuses why it's okay to come up short in the present. He keeps ringing the alarm bell...we are in trouble...sports is about mindset...how are the guys playing the game possibly going to be confident going into a game focusing on "the worst injuries in 32 years"? Versus..."we are fine...big opportunity for kids to step up...I'm excited to play Purdue...we got some kids who want to prove to me they should have been playing all along...haha...we're fortunate we have such a great walk on program and kids that prepare themselves to play each week without any fanfare...you all know we'll compete now!! Something like that versus all the negative....instead affirmation to everybody we are fine, it's all good, no worries. I'm not hearing that message.

Do you play golf? If my driver breaks in the middle of the round, I play on, but it's not like I'll be pulling out my wedge off the tee and scheming to overcome the loss.

No, but you might use your 3 wood and actually surprisingly play better depending on how you approached it? Right? If you play the whole round complaining how you broke your driver...you likely won't shoot too well and your playing partners will go home with a headache...lol Henry Ford Think you can or think you can't..you are right either way...something like that.

IMO a lot of people will disagree with you on this one. Myself included. It's a lot of injuries and the team just isn't going to be as good because of them. That's a fact. For example, there's a reason Plsek would be a 3-year starter this season. He has been rock solid and a key aspect of our offense. You don't just replace a guy like that with a younger, less-developed player. That's just one example.

Kill is just answering the questions he's being asked honestly. And did you even read the article? He's trying to spin it in a positive way getting more young players an opportunity.

"Like I tell our guys, ‘You can’t get down. You just coach them.’ We’re going to play with some young players probably, and that’s part of it. They’ll have to grow up, and we’ll be better down the road for it.”

And if you read the article he also reveals Mitch has been banged up. So no, our QB's haven't been healthy like you claimed.

Jaymil...I agree with a lot of what you post and do appreciate your contributions but to say somebody might disagree with my opinion is funny to me. I don't find supporters too often.
I agree Plesek is crucial to our scheme and Duke was expected to be great but they were out before the season. As a coach I went home and cried myself to sleep often over injuries. (!) For the player missing out on their limited opportunity...high school more than college...college you often get a mulligan. (2) How can we possibly replace this player? answer, we almost always can't with your leading scorer, only pitcher, quarterback etc BUT NO WAY can you let your team know we can't fix this....you gotta find a way and spend the salesmanship focused on convincing your team they can do this....and like notre Dame you get the injured guys coaching, cheering the replacements. Then it truly becomes a team and those replacements feel empowered to perform better than you thought they ever could.

I'm not saying we don't have problems, but I am saying they could be much worse...and I'm saying I bet Jerry has handled this aspect better in the past....you cannot focus on the negative and worry about what is done...it's over...next play...next man up.

Geno Auriemma says something like, I don't think coaches win a lot of games...players do. But a coach can sure lose games. The mindset you convince your team of, the tone you set is really critical to how they perform. Goes on to say how he lost a big game once with the wrong mindset to his team. He wins a lot...UConn girls.

Bottom line too: obviously it is a lot easier to coach somebody else's team...i'm just sharing unfiltered opinions with about 10% of the facts of what's actually going on.

I don't like injuries. They are bad.

Every kid was brought in to play football. One kid gets hurt, another kid gets to play. Put the best kids you have available out on the field and give it your best shot. If our best aren't good enough, then either recruit better talent or resign from coaching.
Excuses may get you some pity, but they don't get you victories.
Hopefully Coach Kill and company aren't having a pity party. I look forward to seeing what the young bucks can do.

It's a GREAT chance for a few football players to MAKE the coaches notice them. This IS Football. Players have a chance to play their way up the depth chart and onto the playing field. Tough break for the kids that are hurt...BUT a chance for kids who might not get a chance otherwise. With 105 players, it is hard for the coaches to appreciate what some kids can do. With 85 players healthy...the coaches are FORCED to look a little closer at players they sometimes don't give the time of day to. Yes, coaches do that sometimes. Maybe a few of those red shirts or walk-on players...or kids a little bit out of favor with the coach just might get the chance they need. Go get it kid. Make 'em play you. And then RUN with the ball! Beat the stinking boiler, Gopher. This just may be the break a few kids have needed and have been looking for!

Love it when I agree with the wren-meister!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...but to say somebody might disagree with my opinion is funny to me. I don't find supporters too often...

1) Sometimes it's good to stick to your guns when everyone else disagrees. Other times...
2) JK is a great motivator, and an amateur psychologist. He's doing everything you asked, except putting on a cheerleading outfit and kicking up his legs. Seriously, take Jaymil's advice and read what Kill said inside quotes ("") and what he's not saying. Most of what you're writing in this thread is all in your head.
3) Women's basketball is a lot more about finesse and mindset, whereas football is more about toughness and physical attributes.

As for my 3-wood, if the tee shot is 240 to carry the hazard and I can hit my 3-wood 230, I'm not going to actually play better. Like Kill, I wouldn't be "whining the whole round," but I wouldn't be unrealistic, either and believe that by "thinking I can" somehow be able to become Bubba Watson.

It's sports...injuries are commonplace. Worst injuries in 32 years is hyperbole focused on the wrong side of the equation. Quarterbacks....healthy, running backs healthy, center healthy, wide receivers largely healthy all year, rest of the offensive line has some boo boos Campion missed the TCU game only, Lauer is hurt all the time this year and last year, Christenson was hurt last year and this year...these should not be surprises, Mayes healthy, Bush healthy, Bjorklund started the season "bone on bone", Pirsig is healthy enough to play, the backups are healthy. Where are the injuries to people so significant to our cause they are irreplaceable? Versus say Notre Dame as just one example of another team performing in spite of truly significant injuries.

We have two tight ends out in Duke and Plesek...they have been out since before the season started. Lingen missed a game...the other guys are healthy.

The defense has defensive backs out and in contrast we have much more just played on.

Dealing with injuries is pretty darn basic to coaching...they happen to most every football team. Who is the biggest "name" player we have hurt on offense? Duke? He hasn't played yet. Plesek? He's a good blocker but if that is the guy I think you might be able to find a replacement or scheme to strengths? Our significant guys, our "stars" have been healthy a lot this year. It's the focus on woe is me that is the downfall imo, not the injuries themselves. (Obviously we disagree)

Injuries are commonplace, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one other team in the entire country that has had 20 players in no-contact jerseys or whatever due to injuries at once. You'd also probably be hard pressed to find another team that has 8, possibly 9 starters out for a single game like Minnesota will on Saturday. It's just been one of those years.

Let's see what the young guys can do and hope for the best! The experience will be good for them and we'll see if anyone steps up. I'm particularly worried about this week because of the injuries in the secondary. I feel like Purdue has the opportunity to pass all over us and put up big points

Injuries are commonplace, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one other team in the entire country that has had 20 players in no-contact jerseys or whatever due to injuries at once. You'd also probably be hard pressed to find another team that has 8, possibly 9 starters out for a single game like Minnesota will on Saturday. It's just been one of those years.

Let's see what the young guys can do and hope for the best! The experience will be good for them and we'll see if anyone steps up. I'm particularly worried about this week because of the injuries in the secondary. I feel like Purdue has the opportunity to pass all over us and put up big points

Found this in regards to the Michigan State injury situation. They have been decimated by injuries to this point in the season as well.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/10/numbers_attempting_to_put_mich.html

It's good to play hard, but is it smart for a 200 lb CB to spear head first into a 250 lb crossing tight end?

I'd heard they're hit pretty bad, but didn't know how bad. That's still half of what Minnesota has and includes suspended players (How many players do they have suspended?).

Keep in mind that Kill said 20 players but didn't give names. There are over 100 kids on the roster so tough to say how many of those 20 were key players outside of the ones we know about. No doubt our injury situation is really bad but we are not alone in struggling with key players being out due to injury.

All you are doing is proving my point. Jerry has you convinced we can't win. If we lose you'll be saying poor unlucky Jerry. If we win he's the greatest coach ever.
Injury Reports:
Michigan 11 guys
Mich St 9
Nebraska 8
NW 6
Notre Dame 8 guys out for season...significant players
Ohio St 9
TCU 10
Tennessee 15
Wisconsin 7
Gophers 13 but we are the only team with injuries in all of college football? Or are we a team looking for excuses why the offense can't score so nobody blames the coaches?
Just not buying we should lose because of who we have injured or planting any doubt we might be in trouble. Whatever he's telling the players, their parents, girlfriends, acquaintanances, classmates interested in the team are reading Jerry's comments and are going to offer sympathy to the players because of how hard it'll be to win with all those injuries. When you send conflicting messages it's hard to know which one hits home. But coach has you doubting...

Jaymil...I agree with a lot of what you post and do appreciate your contributions but to say somebody might disagree with my opinion is funny to me. I don't find supporters too often.
I agree Plesek is crucial to our scheme and Duke was expected to be great but they were out before the season. As a coach I went home and cried myself to sleep often over injuries. (!) For the player missing out on their limited opportunity...high school more than college...college you often get a mulligan. (2) How can we possibly replace this player? answer, we almost always can't with your leading scorer, only pitcher, quarterback etc BUT NO WAY can you let your team know we can't fix this....you gotta find a way and spend the salesmanship focused on convincing your team they can do this....and like notre Dame you get the injured guys coaching, cheering the replacements. Then it truly becomes a team and those replacements feel empowered to perform better than you thought they ever could.

I'm not saying we don't have problems, but I am saying they could be much worse...and I'm saying I bet Jerry has handled this aspect better in the past....you cannot focus on the negative and worry about what is done...it's over...next play...next man up.

Geno Auriemma says something like, I don't think coaches win a lot of games...players do. But a coach can sure lose games. The mindset you convince your team of, the tone you set is really critical to how they perform. Goes on to say how he lost a big game once with the wrong mindset to his team. He wins a lot...UConn girls.

Bottom line too: obviously it is a lot easier to coach somebody else's team...i'm just sharing unfiltered opinions with about 10% of the facts of what's actually going on.

Again, he's just answering the questions being asked. If he constantly said "no comment" when asked about injuries people would complain about that too. He's been coaching a long, long time. I'm confident he can get the players in the right mindset.

This is really a "darned if you do, darned if you don't" situation. If kill refuses to talk about injuries, the media would be ripping him for not being open and honest. But, if he talks about the injuries, then other people say he's making excuses or not being positive.

Injuries are a fact of life. A HS team I cover lost their two best players - QB/FS and RB/LB in the same game during a sequence of about 5 plays. Both out for season with knees. You can bet I asked the coach about it in the post-game show, and on the Saturday Coaches' corner. My tack was more focused on the younger players who were moving into the starting lineup as a result of the injuries, but if you're covering a team, you have to acknowledge that the best two players are standing on the sideline on crutches. (ps - the QB was the coaches' son......)

Kill stated on his show that eight Starters will be out for Purdue.

STrib: Coach Jerry Kill says 20 players missed practice Wednesday because of ...

I tend to agree with 60's Guy on this one. No need to state 8 starters are out. No reason for it. If you're not going to use it as an excuse and going to stay positive about it, then no need to mention 8 starters are out. People can see it when the injury report comes out. I agree with the mentality that it might create when you're a player and you hear, 20 guys miss practice, worst in 32 years, 8 starters out. Not a damn thing you can do about it, so stay positive and don't keep mentioning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a good opportunity indeed for non-starters/walk-ons to show what they can do.

You never know, some kids may not practice well but are gamers. Donnell Kirkwood lost his starting role to David Cobb when he was injured. Donnell was a consumate team player. David Cobb realized what he needed to do break the starting lineup - an attitude readjustment.

I don't see this as making excuses, coach has stated the facts that he has not had this many injury's in his 32 years of coaching, 20 that is a lot of players that are injured. Eight players that would be starters will be out for the game against Purdue. Like others and the coach has often said, next man up and seize your opportunity. You still have to coach, and try and win football games with the people you have. That is what coach Kill is doing, preparing the team to beat Purdue. I don't see this as a pitty party, you have to play with the plays you have and find away. This is an opportunity for some young guys to get some game experience and beat another Big 10 team.
There is still a game to play Saturday, I expect the Gophers to play hard and beat the Boilers, don't care how if you have throw quick hitch routs, and slants than do so, if you need run a long stretch play than do so, if you need a sack or a key stop on third down than do so.
Go Gophers!

Is turf condition responsible for some of the injuries during practice?

I tend to agree with 60's Guy on this one. No need to state 8 starters are out. No reason for it. If you're not going to use it as an excuse and going to stay positive about it, then no need to mention 8 starters are out. People can see it when the injury report comes out. I agree with the mentality that it might create when you're a player and you hear, 20 guys miss practice, worst in 32 years, 8 starters out. Not a damn thing you can do about it, so stay positive and don't keep mentioning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All I care about is what he says to the players. I don't think he says the same thing to the players that he does to the media.

I think it is a no win situation. People want to ask him about it. If he answers how he has been some are going to criticize him for "making excuses". If he avoids the questions some are going to criticize him for not answering the questions.

STrib: Coach Jerry Kill says 20 players missed practice Wednesday because of ...

Kill stated on his show that eight Starters will be out for Purdue.

And 1 questionable.

Plsek, Duke, James, Travis, BBC, Bobek, Rogers, Christenson, Lauer

Is that right?

All I care about is what he says to the players. I don't think he says the same thing to the players that he does to the media.

I think it is a no win situation. People want to ask him about it. If he answers how he has been some are going to criticize him for "making excuses". If he avoids the questions some are going to criticize him for not answering the questions.

Yep...damned if he does and damned if he don't.

The coaches, including -- and especially Coach Kill, expect to win Saturday. Those that think he's making excuses are probably the kind of people that make excuses. If anything, he's creating, perhaps embellishing the us-against-the-world, no one expects us to win attitude that drives this program. I loved that he talked about "up-downs" on his radio show. We're going to witness the best effort of the year on Saturday. We're going to make some mistakes, but it's going to be at 100%.

The coaches, including -- and especially Coach Kill, expect to win Saturday. Those that think he's making excuses are probably the kind of people that make excuses. If anything, he's creating, perhaps embellishing the us-against-the-world, no one expects us to win attitude that drives this program. I loved that he talked about "up-downs" on his radio show. We're going to witness the best effort of the year on Saturday. We're going to make some mistakes, but it's going to be at 100%.

Vegas thinks we'll win.

Is Kill saying the injuries so that he can warn people that they might lose or soften the blow if they don't look good on Saturday?

What's wrong with Bobek?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom