STrib: Coach Jerry Kill says 20 players missed practice Wednesday because of injuries

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Gophers coach Jerry Kill didn’t give specific names but said about 20 players couldn’t practice Wednesday because of injuries, including four offensive linemen and two or three players who are probably out for the season.

“I’ve never seen anything like it in my 32 years of coaching,” Kill said. “Just one of those years. What do you do? Like I tell our guys, ‘You can’t get down. You just coach them.’ We’re going to play with some young players probably, and that’s part of it. They’ll have to grow up, and we’ll be better down the road for it.”

Kill said “there’s a chance” left guard Jon Christenson (knee surgery) will be able to play at Purdue on Saturday but said the chances of safety Damarius Travis (hamstring) and Briean Boddy-Calhoun (knee) returning are “slim and none.”

http://www.startribune.com/coach-je...issed-practice-because-of-injuries/331174671/

Go Gophers!!

Joe C must not read the board.

Firing Limegrover will fix everything

And here I thought Eric Klein was going to make these guys stronger, faster, and injury-proof.

It's a GREAT chance for a few football players to MAKE the coaches notice them. This IS Football. Players have a chance to play their way up the depth chart and onto the playing field. Tough break for the kids that are hurt...BUT a chance for kids who might not get a chance otherwise. With 105 players, it is hard for the coaches to appreciate what some kids can do. With 85 players healthy...the coaches are FORCED to look a little closer at players they sometimes don't give the time of day to. Yes, coaches do that sometimes. Maybe a few of those red shirts or walk-on players...or kids a little bit out of favor with the coach just might get the chance they need. Go get it kid. Make 'em play you. And then RUN with the ball! Beat the stinking boiler, Gopher. This just may be the break a few kids have needed and have been looking for!

If this injury rate continues will we see open tryouts on campus to find 11 able bodies? I find it interesting that much of the media seems so sympathetic to high-profile programs with a couple injuries, yet isn't amazed at the Gophers' misfortune. Hopefully this list includes 10 guys from the scout team, but even that would impact the quality of practices.

It's a GREAT chance for a few football players to MAKE the coaches notice them. This IS Football. Players have a chance to play their way up the depth chart and onto the playing field. Tough break for the kids that are hurt...BUT a chance for kids who might not get a chance otherwise.

Yes, that is true and that's is what I would like to see regardless of the impact on the record. But this coach will likely play gimpy veterans over untested youngsters until it becomes virtually impossible to win 6 games.

If this injury rate continues will we see open tryouts on campus to find 11 able bodies? I find it interesting that much of the media seems so sympathetic to high-profile programs with a couple injuries, yet isn't amazed at the Gophers' misfortune. Hopefully this list includes 10 guys from the scout team, but even that would impact the quality of practices.

Rudy! Rudy! Rudy! ....except for a bunch of stuff in the movie was fiction...

So with BBC and Craig James both out, who are the back up cornerbacks?

Law of Attraction

Keep complaining, keep whining, keep talking about injuries and then wonder why nothing changes.
Maybe focus on the opportunity and the healthy guys versus constantly trying to cover your butt on why the team is performing poorly? Please understand it is not my fault we can't score or stop 19 play drives to open a half. My job is to convince the team we can't win because we have no replacements out of 110 players. Jerry is a salesman who forgot he is coaching versus cya.

Keep complaining, keep whining, keep talking about injuries and then wonder why nothing changes.
Maybe focus on the opportunity and the healthy guys versus constantly trying to cover your butt on why the team is performing poorly? Please understand it is not my fault we can't score or stop 19 play drives to open a half. My job is to convince the team we can't win because we have no replacements out of 110 players. Jerry is a salesman who forgot he is coaching versus cya.
Do you read a lot of fairy tales? Um, they're not real, you know.

So with BBC and Craig James both out, who are the back up cornerbacks?

True freshmen Antonio Shenault and Kiante Hardin, although Hardin had an ankle injury recently and I'm not sure if he played much vs. Northwestern.

True freshmen Antonio Shenault and Kiante Hardin, although Hardin had an ankle injury recently and I'm not sure if he played much vs. Northwestern.
Thanks! Let's hope for a good win and healthier days ahead.

It's a GREAT chance for a few football players to MAKE the coaches notice them. This IS Football. Players have a chance to play their way up the depth chart and onto the playing field. Tough break for the kids that are hurt...BUT a chance for kids who might not get a chance otherwise. With 105 players, it is hard for the coaches to appreciate what some kids can do. With 85 players healthy...the coaches are FORCED to look a little closer at players they sometimes don't give the time of day to. Yes, coaches do that sometimes. Maybe a few of those red shirts or walk-on players...or kids a little bit out of favor with the coach just might get the chance they need. Go get it kid. Make 'em play you. And then RUN with the ball! Beat the stinking boiler, Gopher. This just may be the break a few kids have needed and have been looking for!

+1 Nice positive short post and to the point.

All teams do. Coach em up and quit harping on it. Starting to sound like an excuse to play badly and lose.

I doubt he's bringing it up on his own. He gets asked about injuries every time he's available to speak and he's just answering the questions honestly. He has acknowledged it's not an excuse.

All these injuries are what has caused me to be overjoyed if the Gophs sneak into even a minor bowl. Its a rough year.

I think you missed my point. Where was the whining and complaining from JK? Saying he's never had a situation like this in 32 years of coaching? His comments sounded more to me like acceptance, not excuses. There are plenty of examples of guys down the depth chart coming in and performing, historically AND this season. But, there is a school of thought that continuity, experience, and maturity are significant factors in a team's success. Failure to recognize that demonstrates an immature view of college football, and sports in general, for someone who's been around as long as you.

When he doesn't totally trainwreck and word salad all over the place, wren is one of my favorite posters on this board.

Whoa, whoa - let's not go overboard here. He can be somewhat entertaining:

...... Go get it kid. Make 'em play you. And then RUN with the ball! Beat the stinking boiler, Gopher. This just may be the break a few kids have needed and have been looking for!

Putting himself in the middle of huddle having an imaginary conversation with one of the players - that's classic.

I think you missed my point. Where was the whining and complaining from JK? Saying he's never had a situation like this in 32 years of coaching? His comments sounded more to me like acceptance, not excuses. There are plenty of examples of guys down the depth chart coming in and performing, historically AND this season. But, there is a school of thought that continuity, experience, and maturity are significant factors in a team's success. Failure to recognize that demonstrates an immature view of college football, and sports in general, for someone who's been around as long as you.

It's sports...injuries are commonplace. Worst injuries in 32 years is hyperbole focused on the wrong side of the equation. Quarterbacks....healthy, running backs healthy, center healthy, wide receivers largely healthy all year, rest of the offensive line has some boo boos Campion missed the TCU game only, Lauer is hurt all the time this year and last year, Christenson was hurt last year and this year...these should not be surprises, Mayes healthy, Bush healthy, Bjorklund started the season "bone on bone", Pirsig is healthy enough to play, the backups are healthy. Where are the injuries to people so significant to our cause they are irreplaceable? Versus say Notre Dame as just one example of another team performing in spite of truly significant injuries.

We have two tight ends out in Duke and Plesek...they have been out since before the season started. Lingen missed a game...the other guys are healthy.

The defense has defensive backs out and in contrast we have much more just played on.

Dealing with injuries is pretty darn basic to coaching...they happen to most every football team. Who is the biggest "name" player we have hurt on offense? Duke? He hasn't played yet. Plesek? He's a good blocker but if that is the guy I think you might be able to find a replacement or scheme to strengths? Our significant guys, our "stars" have been healthy a lot this year. It's the focus on woe is me that is the downfall imo, not the injuries themselves. (Obviously we disagree)

It's sports...injuries are commonplace. Worst injuries in 32 years is hyperbole focused on the wrong side of the equation. Quarterbacks....healthy, running backs healthy, center healthy, wide receivers largely healthy all year, rest of the offensive line has some boo boos Campion missed the TCU game only, Lauer is hurt all the time this year and last year, Christenson was hurt last year and this year...these should not be surprises, Mayes healthy, Bush healthy, Bjorklund started the season "bone on bone", Pirsig is healthy enough to play, the backups are healthy. Where are the injuries to people so significant to our cause they are irreplaceable? Versus say Notre Dame as just one example of another team performing in spite of truly significant injuries.

We have two tight ends out in Duke and Plesek...they have been out since before the season started. Lingen missed a game...the other guys are healthy.

The defense has defensive backs out and in contrast we have much more just played on.

Dealing with injuries is pretty darn basic to coaching...they happen to most every football team. Who is the biggest "name" player we have hurt on offense? Duke? He hasn't played yet. Plesek? He's a good blocker but if that is the guy I think you might be able to find a replacement or scheme to strengths? Our significant guys, our "stars" have been healthy a lot this year. It's the focus on woe is me that is the downfall imo, not the injuries themselves. (Obviously we disagree)

Yeeeaaah I don't think you're giving these players enough credit.
Starting quarterback is not healthy.
KJ Maye spit up blood on the sidelines with a bruised lung at CSU and Wolitarsky had a concussion, Gentry had a hamstring for alot of fall camp and the first 3 games.
Campion may not have his concussion anymore but he's not mobile enough to play LT which probably means he's got something else not reported. One starter practiced yesterday on the Oline, probably Mayes or Bobek. Pirsig has a shoulder injury bad enough the coaches have questioned if he's able to play and he has toughed it out.
We were down to our 5th string TE, we are now down to our 3rd string safeties and CB's.
None of those injuries are "boo boos".
Our whole program under Kill is based upon winning up front on the OL. It sets up the running game, the passing game, and keeps the D off the field. Right now because of the reality of injuries we cannot win up front.
No coach can simply throw out the playbook and "scheme" a brand new identity for the program.

All teams do. Coach em up and quit harping on it. Starting to sound like an excuse to play badly and lose.

So essentially what Kill just said?

“I’ve never seen anything like it in my 32 years of coaching,” Kill said. “Just one of those years. What do you do? Like I tell our guys, ‘You can’t get down. You just coach them.’ We’re going to play with some young players probably, and that’s part of it. They’ll have to grow up, and we’ll be better down the road for it.

People are asking him the questions about the injuries. Injuries are discussed by just about every coach in every weekly press conference.

IMO a lot of people will disagree with you on this one. Myself included. It's a lot of injuries and the team just isn't going to be as good because of them. That's a fact. For example, there's a reason Plsek would be a 3-year starter this season. He has been rock solid and a key aspect of our offense. You don't just replace a guy like that with a younger, less-developed player. That's just one example.

Kill is just answering the questions he's being asked honestly. And did you even read the article? He's trying to spin it in a positive way getting more young players an opportunity.

"Like I tell our guys, ‘You can’t get down. You just coach them.’ We’re going to play with some young players probably, and that’s part of it. They’ll have to grow up, and we’ll be better down the road for it.”

And if you read the article he also reveals Mitch has been banged up. So no, our QB's haven't been healthy like you claimed.

Do you play golf? If my driver breaks in the middle of the round, I play on, but it's not like I'll be pulling out my wedge off the tee and scheming to overcome the loss.

Top Bottom