Week 6 Media Predictions: Minnesota at Purdue

Not shocking right now but given where we thought we would be coming into this season it is pretty disappointing to see people picking Purdue to win the game. Going into the season this was one of the games that was circled as a pretty surefire win (nothing is ever a sure thing of course), now it feels like a tossup at best.

Heck, we were lucky to win last year.

Thank you Mr. Santoso

Not shocking right now but given where we thought we would be coming into this season it is pretty disappointing to see people picking Purdue to win the game. Going into the season this was one of the games that was circled as a pretty surefire win (nothing is ever a sure thing of course), now it feels like a tossup at best.

LOL - You seem to like to post "downers". Thanks Debbie!:rolleyes:

LOL - You seem to like to post "downers". Thanks Debbie!:rolleyes:

So you don't think it is disappointing that 2 out of 4 analysts from the BTN think we are going to lose to 1-4 Purdue? The same Purdue team that has been one of if not the worst teams in the Big Ten for multiple years running now. Sorry for having some standards and seeing that as a bad thing. If that makes me a Debbie Downer in your eyes then so be it....feel free to ignore my posts....

Yes, but Purdue has improved and we have gone backwards, losing Maxx and Cobb, plus suffering a rash of injuries. Our best shots this year are Purdue, Nebraska and Illinois and Purdue should probably be favored by a few points. The Gophers should finally get some points on the board - but it is a toss-up at best.

Tom Dienhart:
Minnesota 27, Purdue 24

DOOMED!

So you don't think it is disappointing that 2 out of 4 analysts from the BTN think we are going to lose to 1-4 Purdue? The same Purdue team that has been one of if not the worst teams in the Big Ten for multiple years running now. Sorry for having some standards and seeing that as a bad thing. If that makes me a Debbie Downer in your eyes then so be it....feel free to ignore my posts....

Wait! I'm supposed to care what some talking heads on a TV station think?

No, I don't think it's disappointing that 2 of 4 analysts from the BTN think we are going to lose. It doesn't disappoint me any more than having 4 of 4 thinking we are going to win would excite me. Who cares?

X

No, I don't think it's disappointing that 2 of 4 analysts from the BTN think we are going to lose. It doesn't disappoint me any more than having 4 of 4 thinking we are going to win would excite me. Who cares?

Exactly. Everyone needs to sit tight and wait to see what Sid thinks.

Forget about the simple fact that it's very tough to win on the road in the B1G. See Illinois last year for those beloved Gophers.

People have short memories and Purdue looked a lot better against a good MSU team last week than the Gophers did.

That train of thought is pretty much right in line with MNVCGUY's schtick though. Here's to consistency!

if i had to make a buck i would bet on Purdue. their showing last week compared to ours and of course we have more injuries than anyone else. its bad luck but we are not looking good for this game.

take the Maroon glasses off and look at the game and if you were betting your life on a win or lose would you take the Gophers?

Doesn't matter if Purdue has improved. They are still one of the easiest opponents on Gophers schedule. Even on the road, there is no excuse for loss to 1-4 team. Put this team away early don't let them hang around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are worse than last year...they are better than last year...we barely beat them at home last year. Their losses this year have been to good teams. They are coming off a very close game with Michigan State and we are coming off a getting our a**** handed to us by Northwestern. And we've only scored 31 combined points in our last 3 games. If we win this one, I hope our traveling Gopher fans storm the field and tear down a goal post because this would be an upset and very likely our only Big Ten win this season. None of our wins have been 'good'. All came down to the wire and could have had a different result. We could very easily have ZERO wins right now.

I hate being negative, but where we are at right now doesn't leave much room for positivity. Game time can't come soon enough and I hope we erase the Northwestern curb stomp from our memories and find something positive to build on.

if i had to make a buck i would bet on Purdue. their showing last week compared to ours and of course we have more injuries than anyone else. its bad luck but we are not looking good for this game.

take the Maroon glasses off and look at the game and if you were betting your life on a win or lose would you take the Gophers?

The guys who set gambling lines certainly don't wear maroon glasses and they think the Gophers will win. So there's that.

If we're going to be worried about this game it SHOULD NOT be because Purdue is this well improved football team. They have 1 win this year against an FCS team and 2 losses to non power 5 conference teams where they gave up a combined 76 points. 76 points to those teams! They play Michigan St well last week and now we're doomed?

I really wonder if the Gopher fan base might be among the least knowledgeable fan bases about the CFB landscape. We're better than Purdue.

Last year, en route to a 3-win season, Purdue had the ball with <2 minutes left, going in for a chance to tie Michigan State. Then, MSU got a pick 6 to seal the game. Almost identical to this year's MSU/PU game. Purdue lost to 2 MAC teams worse than Ohio, and we're supposed to be worried because we only beat Ohio by 3? Purdue isn't good. Maybe they're improving. Maybe they'll beat us, because CFB is weird, and maybe Purdue matches up well against us, as we saw last year.

Not saying everything is rosy for the Gophers right now. But we've had the same exact comments saying we'd be lucky to win 1 or 2 conference games at various points for both of the last 2 seasons.

Actually, no I don't. I don't rely on the media to form my opinion. It is obvious that the Gophers are struggling now and they are not going to get a lot of love in the press. That said, you can post what ever you want. That is up to you. But you do seem to enjoy being "Debbie Downer" which is also your right.

I'm a huge Maroon Kool-Aid drinker and this is the first time since Kill has been here that I can't find a silver lining. We are an eyelash away from being an 0-4 Team right now ourselves. This is also the first time since Kill has been here that we have had a totally inept offense. It really doesn't matter how good our defense is because after the offense 3 and outs through the entire game- the D pays for it in the second half. When you can run the ball- you always have a chance. Even against Ohio State last year- we ran the ball and had a chance. It was easy to be optimistic going into every game. We can't run the ball and even our Special Teams haven't been too special.

Last year we won a few we would have lost in previous years and it felt like maybe we got over the hump. Heck- even our 3 wins this year looked like games that we would have lost in the past- so maybe I'm an idiot and totally wrong. But if you think we are going to head into Lafayette this weekend and win just because we have the 'better team'- you haven't been a Gopher fan very long.

I'm a huge Maroon Kool-Aid drinker and this is the first time since Kill has been here that I can't find a silver lining. We are an eyelash away from being an 0-4 Team right now ourselves. This is also the first time since Kill has been here that we have had a totally inept offense. It really doesn't matter how good our defense is because after the offense 3 and outs through the entire game- the D pays for it in the second half. When you can run the ball- you always have a chance. Even against Ohio State last year- we ran the ball and had a chance. It was easy to be optimistic going into every game. We can't run the ball and even our Special Teams haven't been too special.

Last year we won a few we would have lost in previous years and it felt like maybe we got over the hump. Heck- even our 3 wins this year looked like games that we would have lost in the past- so maybe I'm an idiot and totally wrong. But if you think we are going to head into Lafayette this weekend and win just because we have the 'better team'- you haven't been a Gopher fan very long.

I'll submit that at our healthiest this season(which still had us down 2 OL starters and our top 2 TE's) we were an eyelash away from beating the #2 team in the country.
After that things have gotten ragged, but past years' teams under other coaches would have lost all of those games.
We've seen that CSU game before and it didn't used to end with a game winning TD drive and a defense that stands strong in OT.
We've seen that Kent state game(NDSU in 06?) it's an ugly win.
We've seen that Ohio type game before and we never seemed to have a guy on kick coverage that could run down the returner like we did.

Offense gets the glory in football, and today I'll even say the PASSING offense gets the glory. That's the way it is. It's great to see teams light up the scoreboard. Exciting!
However defense wins the games. Right now I'm much more concerned with the health of our defense than the health of our offense.
The best thing that could happen to our season now is we find a way to win ugly games with our defense until our O-line heals up and we can start to lean on the running game again. If that happens and we can line up Lauer-Christensen-Bobek-Campion-Pirsig with a healthy D that lines up Murray-Johnson-Travis-BBC I think we can beat anyone in the B1G.

The vast majority of the media picked NW last week. They were right. Hope they are right this week too.

I was referring to the college gameday crew. Turns out there are more than 6 employees at ESPN, who knew?

You said 5/6. There aren't 6 people making predictions on gameday. Pretty easy to see why he thought you were refering to the 6 reporters from the original link.

You said 5/6. There aren't 6 people making predictions on gameday. Pretty easy to see why he thought you were refering to the 6 reporters from the original link.

1) Rece Davis
2) Lee Corso
3) Kirk Hirbstreit
4) Desmond Howard
5) Whatever the producer's name is
6) Guest star who happened to be Kenny Chesney

Corso was the only one who chose Northwestern. Once you carry the 4 and divide by the square root of pie should come out to 5 people choosing the gophers out of 6. Do you get this much pleasure in proving someone wrong? For crying out loud...

1) Rece Davis
2) Lee Corso
3) Kirk Hirbstreit
4) Desmond Howard
5) Whatever the producer's name is
6) Guest star who happened to be Kenny Chesney

Corso was the only one who chose Northwestern. Once you carry the 4 and divide by the square root of pie should come out to 5 people choosing the gophers out of 6. Do you get this much pleasure in proving someone wrong? For crying out loud...

Uhhhh No.

Rece Davis doesn't pick. Howard and Herbstreit picked Minnesota. Corso picked Northwestern. The guest picker was Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel who also picked Minnesota.

Keep trying though, you're on a roll...

Top Bottom