Jerry Kill still the right guy for the job

I happen to think Jerry's conservative philosophy is a good fit for us.

Jerry's instincts are to play in a style that tilts the odds slightly to our favor over the course of a game. That explains why we won some games by a play last year (NW, Purdue, NE) and lost a game by a play (David fumbling at IL).

I think Jerry's right to do that. I have no problem with a coach punting the ball and playing defense--when it works.

I think the philosophy so far has been a great way to rebuild from a very low point. Rebuild the defense, eliminate penalties, get good at special teams, and develop a ground attack that will consume the clock. Mason did a similar thing I think (as far as the ground game and trying to keep the defense off the field).

Long term when the defense is good enough and the personnel is there on offense, I think the offense will become more open and exciting for those that don't like the Wood Hayes style (my favorite when it works).

I think the philosophy so far has been a great way to rebuild from a very low point. Rebuild the defense, eliminate penalties, get good at special teams, and develop a ground attack that will consume the clock. Mason did a similar thing I think (as far as the ground game and trying to keep the defense off the field).

Long term when the defense is good enough and the personnel is there on offense, I think the offense will become more open and exciting for those that don't like the Wood Hayes style (my favorite when it works).

I think at this point people would be thrilled if the offense just looked competent. Most could care less if it is exciting as long as it is putting points on the scoreboard.

Yes agreed for this season. I was okay with the offense the previous two seasons.

I also think 5-3 is fabulous.

Our goal as a program, as I've long said, should be .500 in conference play over the course of a decade.

That's realistic success for us.

I think one issue is that Kill got the team after .... you know, that other coach.

Mason didn't get a good situation either, but I think there was at least some structure there, of a program, something.

Ws & Ls are similar in terms of the previous coach just before they each got their team, http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/yearly-records.html but I feel like the program was in worse shape when Kill got it than Mason, and possibly the haves and have nots in the Big 10 weren't as separated. Hard to quantify that though.

Mason did get a few players left over from the Wacker era that were important (eg. Tyrone Carter). Kill got almost nothing left over from Brewster. Gutekunst had a couple decent years which appear to have been directly derived from Holtz recruiting. Once those guys were gone, so was any chance we had of winning. Anyway, I'm done comparing old coaches. Kill is our guy and his performance over the last 2 years has earned him a lot of rope. We could lose out this season and he still should and will be coach next year.

A_Slab_of_Bacon;1117150[B said:
]Mason also had a very particular ceiling [/B]in terms of who he is gonna beat and who would regularly trounce them.... and the inevitable bad luck. So even with that .... Kill & Co. look pretty good.

We seem to always forget that Mason created his own "ceiling" by not being willing to do all the hard work that recruiting requires. Plus he was not willing to do some of the political things that a successful coach needs to do. To paraphrase coach Kill "I may not be that smart but I can work harder than others." That is one of the important attributes that Kill has that Glen could have used.

I also think 5-3 is fabulous.

Our goal as a program, as I've long said, should be .500 in conference play over the course of a decade.

That's realistic success for us.
Agreed, if most years going 5-3 or 4-4 and you have the occasional 3-5 season. If we have a couple 6-2+ years per decade, well I guess 7-2 starting next year and your contending for the West, then I think those are realistic expectations. Were not a helmet school were gonna have years where we have to reload, I am hoping with this defense, we can fix some of our offensive woes so that this year won't be one of those years

Hageman
Vereen
Gray
Carter
Cooper
Epping
Jacobs
Wilhite

"Almost nothing".

McKnight Bennett and Tinsley were pretty good too. I would say a lot of those guys really turned a corner under coach Kill. Vereen and Rashede, pretty much played their whole careers under kill, same with Epping. Were Jacobs and Wilhite only here in year one of Kill. Don't remember. I would also say Rashede and Carter both turned over a new leaf once Kill, got here, those two guys really benefited from having a more disciplined staff.

Hageman
Vereen
Gray
Carter
Cooper
Epping
Jacobs
Wilhite

"Almost nothing".

I'd have to go back and look which guys were left over from Wacker. My "Almost nothing" was remembering how bad we looked in Brewster's last year, not what Kill did with those guys 2 years later. Coupe of those guys saw NFL snaps, so there definitely was some talent there.

Agreed, if most years going 5-3 or 4-4 and you have the occasional 3-5 season. If we have a couple 6-2+ years per decade, well I guess 7-2 starting next year and your contending for the West, then I think those are realistic expectations. Were not a helmet school were gonna have years where we have to reload, I am hoping with this defense, we can fix some of our offensive woes so that this year won't be one of those years

Yeah no question Kill throws himself into it. Dude is out there getting folks interested, speaking, etc all the damn time.

I think one issue is that Kill got the team after .... you know, that other coach.

Mason didn't get a good situation either, but I think there was at least some structure there, of a program, something.

Ws & Ls are similar in terms of the previous coach just before they each got their team, http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/yearly-records.html but I feel like the program was in worse shape when Kill got it than Mason, and possibly the haves and have nots in the Big 10 weren't as separated. Hard to quantify that though.
It's tough to measure, my memories of the wacker era were me asking my dad why the gophers were so good at hockey, but so bad at football, so I can't comment on how much talent there was in those years. I do remember Tyrone Carter during the Mason years, one of my favorites. I always thought we had talent under Brewster, there just wasn't a consistent plan, he did manage to go to a couple of bowls, something wacker didn't even come close too, so there is that

We seem to always forget that Mason created his own "ceiling" by not being willing to do all the hard work that recruiting requires. Plus he was not willing to do some of the political things that a successful coach needs to do. To paraphrase coach Kill "I may not be that smart but I can work harder than others." That is one of the important attributes that Kill has that Glen could have used.

Ding ding ding!

Hageman
Vereen
Gray
Carter
Cooper
Epping
Jacobs
Wilhite

"Almost nothing".

Some of those guys like Hageman were pretty problematic when Kill took over and had to be straightened out. Maybe he got some bits and pieces but I'm not sure you can do much with a broken program and 8 guys in a P5 conference.

We hoped to be 4-1 and are 3-2. If that doesn't mean we should fire Kill, what would? Seems perfectly logical to me.

Once again, there are people bouncing from one extreme to the other. So, I will try to claim the middle ground.
I am certainly NOT calling for Kill's head, but I am also not sure that he will be able to accomplish anything more than Mason did - good, not great seasons with mid-level bowl games at the end of the year.

Last year, people were saluting Kill after an 8-win season and a loss in a bowl game. Now, people are second-guessing his decisions and demanding that he shake up the coaching staff. a lot can change in a year.

Again, I like Kill, and I think he's a decent coach. I just think the jury is still out on whether he (and this current staff) can really elevate the program to the point where it's contending for conference championships. I hope it happens - I'm just not sure it's going to happen.

Serious Question:

Did Kill ever state he was going to build the defense first, or did it just turn out that way?

Serious Question:

Did Kill ever state he was going to build the defense first, or did it just turn out that way?

I do remember him saying he thought it would be 7-8 year building process during his first Spring

Serious Question:

They've said that the defense was their first priority and that's where they recruited harder. I have faith that this program will be tops in the West in a short time. The pieces are there to go from a 4 win season this year to 10 (possibly more with the schedule) wins next year, or anywhere in-between. Once the offensive line is figured out I think the offense will be just fine. Wisconsin has owned the west with their offense in recent years, I have no doubts at all that Minnesota can do the same if the line is healthy and the QB feels more safe and confident. You don't need an air raid spread offense to compete in the B1G. It's been a tough year but if anyone thinks the program has already reached its plateau under this staff I think you're crazy. In 4 seasons they brought Minnesota from what was probably the worst team in the power 5 to one blown lead away from the division championship and berth in the B1G title game. There's so much more room for improvement that I can see and I think they're going to get there with the higher end recruits and new facilities (please approve them).

Watch this and you'll see how far we've come:

I just think the jury is still out on whether he (and this current staff) can really elevate the program to the point where it's contending for conference championships. I hope it happens - I'm just not sure it's going to happen.

What is your definition of "contend." Did we not go toe-to-toe with OSU and have a halftime lead on Wisconsin in the de facto B1G West title game last year?

I do remember him saying he thought it would be 7-8 year building process during his first Spring

Kill might be right about the 7-8 years to build a program but these days no coach generally will get that amount of time. Kill played the administration early on and they gave him an extension on his original contract. Have to give Kill credit for pulling that off.

Serious Question:

Yes he did and he reiterated in the last week or two. Serious Question: Are you trying to make a point?

Yes he did and he reiterated in the last week or two. Serious Question: Are you trying to make a point?

No, I just couldn't remember if it was actually stated. I do think Claeys has his ship together on D. I'm seriously not sure about the offense end.

I agree with another poster that Wisconsin is a good example of how to build a Big Ten offense to follow...however I really question this regime in their philosophy and ability to recruit and develop a QB; and all of the offense.

What is your definition of "contend." Did we not go toe-to-toe with OSU and have a halftime lead on Wisconsin in the de facto B1G West title game last year?

I suppose when I say "contend," what I'm really saying is - seeing MN have a team where they go into the big game as the favorite; where they control the game; where Gopher Fans are not 'hoping' they can stay in the game against the big boys, but expect and believe the Gophs ARE the big boys.

IMHO, by the eye test, the Gophers were not in the same class as OSU or WI last year. Watching the game, I always felt that the Gophs would be lucky to win - or need a big break to win. I would much rather be in OSU's or WI's shoes, where I felt the other team would be lucky to win.

That is what I mean by "Contend" - be a team where the other team is going, "Oh, No, we have to play the Gophers." Is anyone in the B1G saying that right now? I think not.

I like what one of the more reliable Gopher Holer' said recently.... "No college team improves every year".... Totally correct. If a team improved every year, there would be no coaching turnover, and every team would have a perfect record (impossible).

Coach Kill has made improvements each year to date. Recruiting classes have improved year to year, and a good one is in line for next year. He has done the job fundraising for the new facilities as well. No one could forsee the injury bug that has struck, and it is a factor.

I like to listen to those that are inside of college football. We have the right guy.

No, I just couldn't remember if it was actually stated. I do think Claeys has his ship together on D. I'm seriously not sure about the offense end.

I agree with another poster that Wisconsin is a good example of how to build a Big Ten offense to follow...however I really question this regime in their philosophy and ability to recruit and develop a QB; and all of the offense.

I hope your not right but only time will tell. My hope and belief is that the 2015 and 2016 lineman recruits should go along way in solving our offensive line problems. Then we can get back to reestablishing our running game. Along with this I am confident Kill will begin to make the transition to the offense he had at N.I. Kill is a very focused person and he is now focused on this. I am certainly wouldn't bet against him.

I suppose when I say "contend," what I'm really saying is - seeing MN have a team where they go into the big game as the favorite; where they control the game; where Gopher Fans are not 'hoping' they can stay in the game against the big boys, but expect and believe the Gophs ARE the big boys.

IMHO, by the eye test, the Gophers were not in the same class as OSU or WI last year. Watching the game, I always felt that the Gophs would be lucky to win - or need a big break to win. I would much rather be in OSU's or WI's shoes, where I felt the other team would be lucky to win.

That is what I mean by "Contend" - be a team where the other team is going, "Oh, No, we have to play the Gophers." Is anyone in the B1G saying that right now? I think not.

I have to say I've never heard a description of "contend" like that before. I'm pretty sure nobody wanted to play the Gophers at the end of last year. I understand the eye test, when it comes to "flash," but I learned a long time ago that savvy and toughness go a long way in football.

What I really think you're describing is "premier" or "elite." Those are lofty goals and I'm pretty sure they're close to what Kill and his staff are striving for. Get the facilities built so the playing field isn't so visually and functionally lopsided and judge this staff under those parameters. It's been that way everywhere else they've been.

If Minnesota went from the dumpster fire they used to be to being favored against the best teams in the conference (OSU, MSU, Michigan) and actually passing the eye test against them within just a few years the amount of red flags that would be raised about what's going on would be off the charts. In today's age of college football it's nearly impossible to make your way up to the level of consistently competing with the best teams in the country in 5 years unless you're a blue blood program or breaking NCAA rules (looking at you Baylor and Ole Miss). You'll get the teams that can compete for a year or two and drop back down, but I can't really think of a power 5 non-blue blood team in the last decade that's jumped up from nowhere to perennial contender. Oregon is the only one I can think of, but they put so much money into facilities and stuff that it's not overly surprising.

I like what one of the more reliable Gopher Holer' said recently.... "No college team improves every year".... Totally correct. If a team improved every year, there would be no coaching turnover, and every team would have a perfect record (impossible).

Coach Kill has made improvements each year to date. Recruiting classes have improved year to year, and a good one is in line for next year. He has done the job fundraising for the new facilities as well. No one could forsee the injury bug that has struck, and it is a factor.

I like to listen to those that are inside of college football. We have the right guy.

+1

Top Bottom