Strib article- Kill: Gophers Have No Quarterback Controversy

citywok

Reaction score
The reason Croft played, Kill said, is “we’ve got to have a backup quarterback ready to play. And we moved [Chris] Streveler to receiver, and that’s where he’s going to play.”

The amount of smoke ol' Jer tries to blow up our asses is really quite insulting, and he seems to do something like this most every time we lose. Who does he think is reading these articles?

http://www.startribune.com/kill-gophers-have-no-quarterback-controversy/330599071/

This explanation would have been more reasonable if Croft had been put in during the Kent State and/or Ohio game but seems a stretch as the only sole reason now that we are in the BIG. But a coach has to spin...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's not just a stretch, it is actually pretty much a lie.

We don't have a quarterback so how can we have a controversy?

This explanation would have been more reasonable if Croft had been put in during the Kent State and/or Ohio game but seems a stretch as the only sole reason now that we are in the BIG. But a coach has to spin...

The argument against that could be that both of those games were in doubt until the end. This past Saturday was the first game it didn't go down to the wire.

I'm still amazed at how upset people get about what a coach says to the public. Most of it is coach speak and means very little. It's about #98 on a list of 100 things I worry about with the program.

The argument against that could be that both of those games were in doubt until the end. This past Saturday was the first game it didn't go down to the wire.

I'm still amazed at how upset people get about what a coach says to the public. Most of it is coach speak and means very little. It's about #98 on a list of 100 things I worry about with the program.
This market and its media have less tolerance for coach/management spin than just about any other market. Judd Zulgad fills hours every week complaining about how some coach or front office official isn't being honest. Coach spin comes with the territory, but I this is a tough market in which to pull it off.

If ML7 starts which he probably will then it's not a lie, pretty easy explanation. If Croft starts and ML7 is healthy then it is a lie. You see citywok there's this thing called logic. Hopefully you're not spending too much time on this because those Mongolians are going to get over your city wall!

We are over thinking this thing. I believe Kill because he is a simple and stubborn Coach. He will start Leidner and just rotate in Croft, like he said. Why? Because he's too scared to put all his hopes into Croft. You would think he'd be scared to have Leidner in also, but he's thinking he'll go with the more experienced guy. This is the one reason why I'm afraid the Gophers will never win the B10 with Kill. Coach Kill is a great guy, and he has given us hope, but let's face it... Guys like him (no Killer instinct) may win some games, but never go beyond above average. It's coaches who aren't afraid to take chances, and aren't afraid of change, that win the big ones. Like last year, in our Bowl Game, Kill just wanted to run the clock out in the first half instead of try to score. In Ohio State's Bowl Game, they tried to score before the half ended. What's my point? I think we have seen enough of Leidner to know he really doesn't offer much to the Offense. I think it's time to try someone else. I don't care who, whether it's Croft, Perra, Streveler. We can't continue to be the second to last scoring offense in the country, while being in the B10. Kill, take a chance on some one new please. Status Quo won't cut it.

Are you down at campus yet with your protest sign?

Coach speak, dude. Relax.

What about these posts gives off the impression that I am super worked up over this? I wrote like three sentences and none of them are in caps or unintentionally misspelled or anything. Weird take on your part though, good job.

It was understandable "coach speak" a few weeks ago when he said that the coaches have to do a better job and it is not any individual players' fault. This week it is just creating an alternate reality for no reason.

It isn't too much to ask to have Jerry say something like "our offense wasn't getting it done today, so we tried a different look at QB". For you that think it's meaningless to question stuff like this, then why do we even have press conferences or interviews, other than just to get stock "____ really got after it today" sound bites?

If ML7 starts which he probably will then it's not a lie, pretty easy explanation. If Croft starts and ML7 is healthy then it is a lie. You see citywok there's this thing called logic. Hopefully you're not spending too much time on this because those Mongolians are going to get over your city wall!
It's clear to me now that we are more versed in South Park than the nuanced meaning behind the quotes from Kill. Glad our priorities are in good shape.

If Croft starts and ML7 is healthy then it is a lie.

No it's not. Many things could happen during practice over the course of the week to account for Croft starting.

On a side note, why did you use the acronym ML7 but referred to Croft with his last name instead of DC11? What in the hell is wrong with you?

The amount of smoke ol' Jer tries to blow up our asses is really quite insulting, and he seems to do something like this most every time we lose. Who does he think is reading these articles?

Psst, Kill doesn't write the articles. He also doesn't send in quotes to the paper for the articles. He answers questions that he is asked. Pretty good chance he doesn't care if you or anyone else likes how he answers them. Find something else to complain about - like the play on the field.

Judd Zulgad complaining about coaches = the coach wouldn't kiss his rear end, and he's upset because he's a big-time radio host. These media guys have bigger egos than a lot of the players.

A few years back, I was working in Platteville, WI, and I covered the Chicago Bears training camp for four years. The media from Chicago - with a couple of exceptions - were complete jerks. These guys expect free tickets to everything, free food, and unlimited access to the coaches and players - and if they don't get their way, they whine and pout.

Judd Zulgad complaining about coaches = the coach wouldn't kiss his rear end, and he's upset because he's a big-time radio host. These media guys have bigger egos than a lot of the players.

A few years back, I was working in Platteville, WI, and I covered the Chicago Bears training camp for four years. The media from Chicago - with a couple of exceptions - were complete jerks. These guys expect free tickets to everything, free food, and unlimited access to the coaches and players - and if they don't get their way, they whine and pout.

I agree and concur with everything stated here. Just want to add the fact that Judd and Mackey fill airtime in any way possible. One of the worst/least informed pairs of radio analysts I have ever heard.

No it's not. Many things could happen during practice over the course of the week to account for Croft starting.

On a side note, why did you use the acronym ML7 but referred to Croft with his last name instead of DC11? What in the hell is wrong with you?

For your first statement, possibly, but at this point I doubt it DC11, not quite the same ring, but I'll give it time will need to prove it on the field. They'll both get their reps and I am guessing with a red shirt on ML& looks a lot better when no one can touch him. Plus there's knowing the playbook, leadership, respect of teammate stuff that DC11 can only gain by producing in a game. Guessing he spells ML7 from here on out and we have an interesting competition next spring.

It's clear to me now that we are more versed in South Park than the nuanced meaning behind the quotes from Kill. Glad our priorities are in good shape.

A B C D E F Guy H I J K L M N O Buddyyyyyyyy

We are over thinking this thing. I believe Kill because he is a simple and stubborn Coach. He will start Leidner and just rotate in Croft, like he said. Why? Because he's too scared to put all his hopes into Croft. You would think he'd be scared to have Leidner in also, but he's thinking he'll go with the more experienced guy. This is the one reason why I'm afraid the Gophers will never win the B10 with Kill. Coach Kill is a great guy, and he has given us hope, but let's face it... Guys like him (no Killer instinct) may win some games, but never go beyond above average. It's coaches who aren't afraid to take chances, and aren't afraid of change, that win the big ones. Like last year, in our Bowl Game, Kill just wanted to run the clock out in the first half instead of try to score. In Ohio State's Bowl Game, they tried to score before the half ended. What's my point? I think we have seen enough of Leidner to know he really doesn't offer much to the Offense. I think it's time to try someone else. I don't care who, whether it's Croft, Perra, Streveler. We can't continue to be the second to last scoring offense in the country, while being in the B10. Kill, take a chance on some one new please. Status Quo won't cut it.

I agree completely with your take on this. Kill will do what he thinks maximizes his chances of winning 6 (7 tops!) games this year rather than risk sacrificing this year to build a better offense for next year. This should be the year that we let youth take over the offense (and, given the injuries, use them a little more on defense). Kill has built up enough goodwill to sacrifice this year's record in a rebuilding effort but he probably won't do that until it becomes absolutely clear that we are going nowhere in the postseason. Maybe if we lose the next three games he'll reconsider.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was America!

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was America!
Ummmm....

Judd is whiny as hell. It seems like everything is some personal deal when he gets upset.

I'll take joe schmo random internet commenter's opinion over Judd's anyday.

Agree completely... And I'm ok with Kill being a little testy after games like these... he SHOULD be.
Plus, 85% of the sports media in this town turns on a dime on you like a pack of jackals, no need to be total pals.

Agree completely... And I'm ok with Kill being a little testy after games like these... he SHOULD be.
Plus, 85% of the sports media in this town turns on a dime on you like a pack of jackals, no need to be total pals.

Jerry wanted to prove Nelson and Shortell that he could make a TE a starting QB in the big ten. JK bet and lost. Most of us knew this 2 yrs ago but here we are.

Jerry wanted to prove Nelson and Shortell that he could make a TE a starting QB in the big ten. JK bet and lost. Most of us knew this 2 yrs ago but here we are.

He fumbles too much to play TE. Should be a D end.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Some media markets are blessed with an abundance of hard-working, insightful, and entertainingly talented writers. The Twin Cities seems to have drawn the short stick and instead, has a plethora of lazy, uninspired, loathsome, evil ones. The few good ones sure seem awesome by comparison. Read/listen to them. Ignore the others. Maybe they'll go away.

I agree and concur with everything stated here. Just want to add the fact that Judd and Mackey fill airtime in any way possible. One of the worst/least informed pairs of radio analysts I have ever heard.

Yep.

Top Bottom