We can still get a big victory off the field this week

Gopher07

Captain of Awesome
Reaction score
Thursday is the Board of Regents meeting where the athletics department is scheduled to present their case for funding the Athletes Village to the Facilities, Planning and Operations Committee. They are going before the committee with a request for a $166m project (as seen in the docket here, pages 9 through 17), with construction beginning in November 2015 and completion in early 2018. They cite $76m in fundraising and $89m in long-term debt.

The actual committee meeting is scheduled to happen from 9:45-11:45am on Thursday, and you might be able to live stream it through the regents' site. Going forward with this project will be the biggest victory for the Gopher athletics department since the football team moved back to campus. Here's hoping it gets done and gives us all a moment of delight after this weekend's game.

All true Gopher fans expect it to be shot down.

It will be great news and a big cause for celebration. I am very excited about the potential news this week.

Go Gophers!!

I fully expect another delay... No evidence to support this. Just the feels.

Our Board of Regents are not a Division One Board.

This would be the biggest victory by a Gopher Football coach since the 1960's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've said this so many times, but Jerry Kill has been the absolute right guy at the right time for Minnesota.

Fans of the Gophers, and the media in the T.C., don't seem to understand what it takes to develop a top tier D1 football team.

First, I think you need a competent and supportive University President who makes football a priority, then you need a competent and supportive AD. Then, you need an on campus stadium. When in the last 50 years has Minnesota had this???

I would be real interested to hear from some insiders just how involved Coach Kill was in getting the ball rolling on the Athletes village? I would also be curious to hear how much of an impact Coach Kill has had in raising funds? I have a hunch he has been the #1 driving force in both aspects.

I think it's a long shot that Coach Kill leads MN to a Big Ten Championship, after all, as good as he was in 1aa, I don't think he ever made a title game. In big games he seems to get out coached. But I think people really need to step back and see the big picture and give Coach Kill, his staff, and players the benefit of the doubt. Stay patient, the team is 3-2, the season isn't even half over yet.

Kill has done more than enough to earn our patience and support as this season progresses, particularly our support. He is going to be our coach for the next couple years unless HE decides he doesn't want to be. He deserves to experience that athletes village and I'm willing to give him the support to get there. 3 wins, 2 losses, those are the only stats that matter right now. There is a lot of season left. I don't know where a lot of people get there expectations, but to build something special, you need support and positive energy, that may be too tough in Minneapolis. I hope it is not, but this is far, far, far and away the best college football environment this University has seen since the 60's. Remember that when you want to bag on this current team and Coach Kill. Snarky comments aren't going to do anything. Can you imagine if Kill left at the end of this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've said this so many times, but Jerry Kill has been the absolute right guy at the right time for Minnesota.

Fans of the Gophers, and the media in the T.C., don't seem to understand what it takes to develop a top tier D1 football team.

First, I think you need a competent and supportive University President who makes football a priority, then you need a competent and supportive AD. Then, you need an on campus stadium. When in the last 50 years has Minnesota had this???

I would be real interested to hear from some insiders just how involved Coach Kill was in getting the ball rolling on the Athletes village? I would also be curious to hear how much of an impact Coach Kill has had in raising funds? I have a hunch he has been the #1 driving force in both aspects.

I think it's a long shot that Coach Kill leads MN to a Big Ten Championship, after all, as good as he was in 1aa, I don't think he ever made a title game. In big games he seems to get out coached. But I think people really need to step back and see the big picture and give Coach Kill, his staff, and players the benefit of the doubt. Stay patient, the team is 3-2, the season isn't even half over yet.

Kill has done more than enough to earn our patience and support as this season progresses, particularly our support. He is going to be our coach for the next couple years unless HE decides he doesn't want to be. He deserves to experience that athletes village and I'm willing to give him the support to get there. 3 wins, 2 losses, those are the only stats that matter right now. There is a lot of season left. I don't know where a lot of people get there expectations, but to build something special, you need support and positive energy, that may be too tough in Minneapolis. I hope it is not, but this is far, far, far and away the best college football environment this University has seen since the 60's. Remember that when you want to bag on this current team and Coach Kill. Snarky comments aren't going to do anything. Can you imagine if Kill left at the end of this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't speak for the game day experience but when you speak of the best college football environment since the 60's I do recall there being a lot of optimism around a few years when Glen Mason was coach. Mind you, I do recognize the bowl blunders but let's not forget some of the good things he brought to our program.

I can't speak for the game day experience but when you speak of the best college football environment since the 60's I do recall there being a lot of optimism around a few years when Glen Mason was coach. Mind you, I do recognize the bowl blunders but let's not forget some of the good things he brought to our program.

I can think of two good things Mason brought to the program and that is about it. He brought a strong running game and the idea for a new football stadium on campus. Otherwise, given his previous coaching record and experience he was the most underachieving coach in Gopher history. This is a list short list of things Mason underachieved at:

- Defense

- Passing offense

- Second half game decisions

- Won/Loss record against Big Ten opponents: 32 - 48

- Relationship with Minnesota high school football coaches

- Recruiting Minnesota high school players

- Recruiting QB's

Thursday is the Board of Regents meeting where the athletics department is scheduled to present their case for funding the Athletes Village to the Facilities, Planning and Operations Committee. They are going before the committee with a request for a $166m project (as seen in the docket here, pages 9 through 17), with construction beginning in November 2015 and completion in early 2018. They cite $76m in fundraising and $89m in long-term debt.

The actual committee meeting is scheduled to happen from 9:45-11:45am on Thursday, and you might be able to live stream it through the regents' site. Going forward with this project will be the biggest victory for the Gopher athletics department since the football team moved back to campus. Here's hoping it gets done and gives us all a moment of delight after this weekend's game.

I wonder how many of the critics here will be donating to the new facility. Oh wait, it's easier to just constantly complain than be part of the solution.

Bryan Cupito was better than anything Brewster or Kill has put on the field at QB.
A. Khaliq was the quintessential qb Minnesota would want to replicate year in and year out on the field.

Both were Mason players. Khaliq went 10-3 and beat Oregon in the bowl game.

Bryan Cupito was better than anything Brewster or Kill has put on the field at QB.
A. Khaliq was the quintessential qb Minnesota would want to replicate year in and year out on the field.

1. ADAM WEBER
Year....Att......Comp....Int...TD....Yards
Total....1,594...909....51.....72....10,917

Unfortunately Dean, you're 100% wrong with your first statement. Adam Weber (no matter what you think of him), was the Gopher all time #1 QB. Believe it or not, his tenure was right in the middle of the Brewster years.

Now back to the major victory coming up. Kill has done more for this program than any other coach. He turned around the B1G worst team into a contender. We may have an off year, but the trend is up. He is right on the cusp of being the major reason we get the Athletes Village built. Even with Mega Tongue-Gate; he has defied the odds and made this a reality. This will have positive repercussions for decades to come.

Double A-K! Woot!

Our Board of Regents are not a Division One Board.

But if this does get pushed back, it will be due to our Board's administrative assistants, or the caterers or someone else, but surely not the Board's fault.

So the end date has already been moved back from July of 2017 to early 2018? Dissapointing as the end date is much more important than the groundbreaking date. Whatever, I shouldn't be complaining if we end up breaking ground before 2016.

I think the plan all along has been to do the work in stages - so some sections/buildings could open earlier than others. At least, that's what I seem to recall from how the plan was originally presented.

I am certain they will finish the new parts before renovating the old parts. The old parts would be included in the entire project date

Top Bottom