Northwestern Experience

Wisconsin is a lot closer so that makes sense they would draw more. Madison is only 2 1/2 hours away. Same with Illinois. Nebraska and Michigan just have a much larger fan base in general.

I also think our game at Colorado St. earlier this year may have made somewhat of a difference. There was a very good crowd that traveled there and many people aren't able to go on a bunch of road trips each season. They have to be a little picky and going to Fort Collins may have been a more exciting option for many. I could be way off though, just a thought.

This is my line of reasoning for not going. Why go to a game in a stadium that is the worst in the Big Ten, with a fan base that is the worst in the Big Ten, when I could go to sold out games (this year) in Iowa City, Columbus, or Fort Collins? That doesn't include the years when the Gophers have games in Madison, Lincoln, Ann Arbor, Happy Valley, East Lansing, or wherever else. The Northwestern trip for a purely football standpoint, would easily rank near the bottom of my list.

The surprising thing to me was how few Minnesota fans showed up. When we play Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State, the stadium is rocking with many of those school's Chicago area alumni. Heck, even Nebraska and Penn State fans turn out in droves. Stanford even had a ton of fans at the game earlier this year.

The turnout by Minnesota fans last Saturday was the worst I've seen from a power five conference team let alone B1G opponent in at least 5 years. Given Minnesota's recent success and 3-1 record coming in, I was very disappointed in the Gopher turnout.

Having lived in chicago the last three years and being disappointed why there is not more of an alumni base, it finally dawned on me:

People don't need to leave minnesota because there are jobs. Madison, East Lansing, Iowa City etc most have to leave those places after school to find jobs and chicago is a main attractor at that. It also explains why we have so many skunks in our midst in minneapolis because thats where you go to get a job.

And as have others alluded too, Northwestern is not really a big draw for an away game. Its fun to dick around in chicago but the experience itself is pretty lackluster.

Why all angst on this subject. They killed us plain and simple and they have a excellent coach.
If any other team wins the division, I hope it is them. They have to fight a similar battle in a pro sports market.

This has nothing to do with the team, other than with how good they are the atmosphere should be way better. This is just discussing how poor of a stadium, tailgating, and fanbase they have. And how disappointing it is to attend. Felt like being at a MIAC game.

This has nothing to do with the team, other than with how good they are the atmosphere should be way better. This is just discussing how poor of a stadium, tailgating, and fanbase they have. And how disappointing it is to attend. Felt like being at a MIAC game.

I actually liked that.

There aren't many cities better to go to. Chicago is one of a kind and always fun. That being said. Northwestern has atrocious facilities. Their fanbase is terrible. Not even close to a sell out. Many fans don't have a clue about the sport. Student section was pathetic. And the stadium is a dump. Big screen is in a terrible location. And apparently 30 football scholarships go to cheerleaders dressed as football players. It was embarrassing to watch those kids on the sidelines. Even Northwestern fans are embarrassed of them. Worse tailgating experience ever.

And our pets HEADS ARE FALLIN OFF!

Top Bottom