Northwestern Experience

I found it interesting that they switched where their home bench is and also their student section.

NU is what it is. Not expecting a giant crowd, although they did start acting like BADgers at the end, taunting our group, which i thought was very unbecoming of a bunch of nerds.

Bullsheeet, unless you think that the stands at Lincoln, tOSU, Penn State, Iowa City etc. are only full of alumni. ;)

A better question is, if you want to honest, why do you think that only alumni and immediate neighbors care to come out to see a good Big Ten team and the millions within an hours drive don't give a damn about them? You know, the way they do at successful programs all over the country?

Untrue. See Miami Hurricanes, Stanford Cardinal, Duke/Vandy/BC when they've been good; all located in large metro areas. Non-state schools do not have an implicit fan base of native in-staters so they tend to struggle to grab that audience.

Ironic that someone used the metro area size argument when UMN is in a 3MM metro area, but probably has bottom half B1G attendance.

Someone said smaller student and alumni base are not a valid argument. If NU fills up their student sections that's probably the equivalent of 2/3 of the undergrad population. If the U fills their student section it is probably about 1/3.

You should be able to fill TCF several times over with driving-distance multigenerational alumni, not to mention non-alumni natives who would naturally identify with their state school. Conversely, I doubt you could fill half of Ryan field with NU (undergrad) alumni in the Chicago area.

Edit: how could I leave out TCU, perennial top 5-10 team, only P5 team in gigantic DFW metroplex in football crazed TX and they struggle to fill their 45K stadium? While UT-Austin is horrible and still easily draws double that?

Bottom line: NU is not alone in peer group attendance issues. The U does not have the same excuse.

Bullsheeet, unless you think that the stands at Lincoln, tOSU, Penn State, Iowa City etc. are only full of alumni. ;)

Can see why you'd want to take that stand. The NW Administration doesn't think like you do, and no, I don't think that you do either. It's a pretty lame schtick.

The Administration in the past at least has put up billboards, radio ads, newspaper ads etc. talking about how "Northwestern is Your Big Ten Team". Hasn't been real successful. Reading the Tribune and SunTimes it seems to be more of a subject of ridicule than a solid marketing position.

A better question is, if you want to honest, why do you think that only alumni and immediate neighbors care to come out to see a good Big Ten team and the millions within an hours drive don't give a damn about them? You know, the way they do at successful programs all over the country?

Chicago seems to have more Notre Dame fans than U of I or NW. I think it's a catholic thing :)

Northwestern broke ground on $220 million plus athletics facilities earlier this year. People have to remember, who wants to come coach at MN that is worth a damn? 30 years in the roller dome, off campus, and putrid facilities. Crazy how people overlook this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Untrue. .

Why that's very obtuse of you or was the discussion just over your head? None of that was a defense of the U's attendance problem,which has mainly been because of 7-8 decent years in the midst of 50 years of lousy football. The Gophers have earned the bad crowds they've gotten. It was only pointing out that a comparison of alumni numbers to explain why NW can't get 40,000 (not 60k, 80k or 100k) in the stands to watch a good team, in the middle of nearly 10 million people is again, farcical.

"Vandy"/ Duke/ BC have had records like Minnesota has. They've mainly been lousy. No reason to blame the locals for not wanting to spend the money to see them play. Stanford has put people in the stands when they've done well haven't they? At least more than 30,000+. TCU was playing in the football minor leagues since the SWC died. Now that they are back in the big leagues wonder what will happen to their attendance going forward?

Miami may be analogous. A small school in a large Metro area, with some success in football but a populous that for whatever reason, has a strong dislike for them. They're trying to change that at NW. Reading the thin-skinned responses here they've got they work cut out for them.

Particularly without all the whining about how "we only can count on alumni!" :cry:

Very true. However, the future looks bright in BB with Chris Collins at the helm.

I am not so sure if you see the basketball arena or should I say gymnasium. The statdium is a dump but I don't mind the experience. I would always go to Chicago over Champaign, Iowa City, or Lincoln. I guess I also like to shop on Michigan Avenue.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you had a great time?

We certainly can't allow students to have fun, can we?

You do realize your (UM's) enrollment (and fanbase) is more than SIX TIMES GREATER than NU's enrollment. 30K is good turnout for a school with only 8500 undergrads...a comparable turnout for the Gophers would be 180K per game.
This is seriously some of the worst logic I have ever heard.

Pretty touchy huh? Already forget you won the game and could be on your way to a great year?

We've been down to see 4 games at Ryan Field without much of a crowd at any of them. Had a good time every time. The stadium isn't much to look at but not really a bad view in the house. The area around the stadium is spectacular and the fans have always been more than friendly win or lose.

Oh, one other thing. The population of the Twin Cities Metro is 2.9 million. The Chicago Metro is 9.8 million. Too bad your focus is on alumni period.:cool:

Actually, the population of the MSP MSA is 3.5 million.

SHORT DRIVE? NU has the second smallest number of B1G alumni in the Chicago area. Most students are from out-of-state or country and wind up taking jobs all over the world. Many NU fans travel great distances to go to NU football games. The flip side is we have fans scattered everywhere, and will bring a lot of fans to distant games and bowl games.

But they're Chicago's Big Ten team! I see billboards everywhere telling me that. I'm heartbroken as I realize it's just a marketing slogan.

Actually, the population of the MSP MSA is 3.5 million.

Went back and looked and yeah you're right. They were at 2.9 in 2010. The Census Bureau expanded the Twin Cities Metropolitan area to 16 counties starting in 2014 including adding Mille Lacs County as the metro’s northernmost county! That number now is 3.5 million.

On second thought will stay with the 2.9 million.

http://bringmethenews.com/2013/04/09/twin-cities-metro-area-expands-3-counties-added/

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_28139150/twin-cities-area-grew-4-5-since-2010

http://bringmethenews.com/2015/05/1...n-nears-3-million-housing-construction-rises/

Why that's very obtuse of you or was the discussion just over your head? None of that was a defense of the U's attendance problem,which has mainly been because of 7-8 decent years in the midst of 50 years of lousy football. The Gophers have earned the bad crowds they've gotten. It was only pointing out that a comparison of alumni numbers to explain why NW can't get 40,000 (not 60k, 80k or 100k) in the stands to watch a good team, in the middle of nearly 10 million people is again, farcical.

You call my response obtuse while you're saying the discussion is over my head. Nice. I simply said "untrue" to the statement that millions of fans in other cities come out to watch good private CFB teams when that is very much the exception (ND, possibly USC?) and not the rule (all the other schools I mentioned).

You try to make the argument that a private school should have no problem getting casual non-alum fans when that simply does not happen to a large degree. Not only that, but many In Chicago are grads of other B1G schools so they're not just going to convert to NU fans. Northwestern has been up and down so much, without sustained success, that it's difficult to build a non-alum base when there isn't an inherent sense of loyalty to a land grant state institution, or the automatic identification with city/state you get with an NFL team.

You call my response obtuse while you're saying the discussion is over my head. Nice. I simply said "untrue" to the statement that millions of fans in other cities come out to watch good private CFB teams when that is very much the exception (ND, possibly USC?) and not the rule (all the other schools I mentioned).

You try to make the argument that a private school should have no problem getting casual non-alum fans when that simply does not happen to a large degree. Not only that, but many In Chicago are grads of other B1G schools so they're not just going to convert to NU fans. Northwestern has been up and down so much, without sustained success, that it's difficult to build a non-alum base when there isn't an inherent sense of loyalty to a land grant state institution, or the automatic identification with city/state you get with an NFL team.

Really? You also said this: Ironic that someone used the metro area size argument when UMN is in a 3MM metro area, but probably has bottom half B1G attendance.Someone said smaller student and alumni base are not a valid argument. If NU fills up their student sections that's probably the equivalent of 2/3 of the undergrad population. If the U fills their student section it is probably about 1/3.

You should be able to fill TCF several times over with driving-distance multigenerational alumni, not to mention non-alumni natives who would naturally identify with their state school."

That was certainly an...odd reply because none of the original post could have possibly been interpreted as a defense of the Gophers attendance vs. Northwestern's. "Obtuse". "over your head" "dishonest"? Take your choice.

As for this reply did you miss this? Wonder why you possibly could have left it out..

"Vandy"/ Duke/ BC have had records like Minnesota has. They've mainly been lousy. No reason to blame the locals for not wanting to spend the money to see them play. Stanford has put people in the stands when they've done well haven't they? At least more than 30,000+. TCU was playing in the football minor leagues since the SWC died. Now that they are back in the big leagues wonder what will happen to their attendance going forward?

Miami may be analogous. A small school in a large Metro area, with some success in football but a populous that for whatever reason, has a strong dislike for them. They're trying to change that at NW. Reading the thin-skinned responses here they've got they work cut out for them.

Particularly without all the whining about how "we only can count on alumni!"

Oh, much like you missed this part from the first post? :rolleyes:

The Administration in the past at least has put up billboards, radio ads, newspaper ads etc. talking about how "Northwestern is Your Big Ten Team". Hasn't been real successful. Reading the Tribune and SunTimes it seems to be more of a subject of ridicule than a solid marketing position.

Miami may be analogous. A small school in a large Metro area, with some success in football but a populous that for whatever reason, has a strong dislike for them.[/I]

One of the biggest understatements ever written on GH! Miami won 5 national championships between 1983 and 2001 (and were denied a 6th on a BS phantom pass interference call vs. OSU), which is 4th all-time, becoming a national cultural phenomenon (for better or worse) in the process. They had a streak of 14 straight years with a player selected in the first round of the NFL draft, and produced 2 Heisman winners and 3 eventual NFL Hall of Famers during that period. If the U (or Northwestern) had "some success" in football along the lines that Miami recently has, I'd fall to my knees in prayers of thanksgiving.

One of the biggest understatements ever written on GH! Miami won 5 national championships between 1983 and 2001 (and were denied a 6th on a BS phantom pass interference call vs. OSU), which is 4th all-time, becoming a national cultural phenomenon (for better or worse) in the process. They had a streak of 14 straight years with a player selected in the first round of the NFL draft, and produced 2 Heisman winners and 3 eventual NFL Hall of Famers during that period. If the U (or Northwestern) had "some success" in football along the lines that Miami recently has, I'd fall to my knees in prayers of thanksgiving.

Uh, should I have used an extra comma, or did you need a smiley ;) posted? :cool:

Can see why you'd want to take that stand. The NW Administration doesn't think like you do, and no, I don't think that you do either. It's a pretty lame schtick.

The surprising thing to me was how few Minnesota fans showed up. When we play Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State, the stadium is rocking with many of those school's Chicago area alumni. Heck, even Nebraska and Penn State fans turn out in droves. Stanford even had a ton of fans at the game earlier this year.

The turnout by Minnesota fans last Saturday was the worst I've seen from a power five conference team let alone B1G opponent in at least 5 years. Given Minnesota's recent success and 3-1 record coming in, I was very disappointed in the Gopher turnout.

I was sitting behind the Northwestern bench about the 30 yard line. He's talking about a group of about 15 northwestern players that formed a circle and were bascially doing a "dance off" during the game. Not during play, but during timeouts, etc. If I was Fitzgerald, I might consider pulling some of those guys aside after the game and say, "focus, knock it off, etc". Looked bush-league. That and a bunch of other dancing, etc.

The flip side of it is that they were kicking our butts, and having fun doing it.

Fitz actually coaches "the Juice Squad" made up of Redshirting freshman to do just that. It's designed to keep the sideline energetic, relaxed and loose, and it actually works. It's a game and it's supposed to be fun.

The surprising thing to me was how few Minnesota fans showed up. When we play Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan and Ohio State, the stadium is rocking with many of those school's Chicago area alumni. Heck, even Nebraska and Penn State fans turn out in droves. Stanford even had a ton of fans at the game earlier this year.

The turnout by Minnesota fans last Saturday was the worst I've seen from a power five conference team let alone B1G opponent in at least 5 years. Given Minnesota's recent success and 3-1 record coming in, I was very disappointed in the Gopher turnout.

You were disappointed that the visiting team's fans didn't outnumber yours? That's odd.

Also, according to this (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...tes-live-could-columbus-host-a-b1g-tournament) there are less than 4,000 U of M alumni in Chicago (4 to 5 times less than that of Iowa or Wisconsin).

Huh. That's weird. I thought that one guy said there aren't any Northwestern alumni in Chicago

You were disappointed that the visiting team's fans didn't outnumber yours? That's odd.

Also, according to this (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...tes-live-could-columbus-host-a-b1g-tournament) there are less than 4,000 U of M alumni in Chicago (4 to 5 times less than that of Iowa or Wisconsin).

Yes, that is odd, but is just the way it is.

I question the source of that data. That contradicts everything I've ever heard as well as my experience living in Chicago.

See link and excerpt below from Chicago Crain's article:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20121117/ISSUE01/311179985/northwestern-sports-root-for-us-too

But attracting more casual sports fans in a market dominated by professional teams requires winning more big games, especially because Northwestern has fewer alumni in Chicago—80,000—than every Big Ten school except Penn State and Nebraska.

Despite all the whining of the Wildcat Trolls about "alumni" the Administration is holding firm in their Marketing program. The program has been very successful in getting more corporate money and getting more Season tickets sold. Getting their fans in the seats may not be as successful, but they are getting more money for them.

The Gophers need to win to get more people in the seats. This year may hurt that. As for getting more money from sponsors rather than ticket holders ...:rolleyes:

Pushing purple has Northwestern seeing more green.

Two years after launching its marketing campaign for “Chicago's Big Ten Team,” the university's athletic department has more than tripled its corporate sponsorship revenue to a level on par with similarly sized major college athletic programs, bolstered its operating income for football and basketball, and expanded its season-ticket holder bases to levels not seen since a post-Rose Bowl boom in the late 1990s.

The Wildcat fan base in the area has jumped by nearly 50 percent since 2008 to more than 1 million people, according to New York-based Scarborough Research, which surveys Chicago-area households on whether they have watched, listened to or attended a Northwestern University game.

The school declined to release specific figures but the estimated $1 million annual marketing push and a concerted effort to reach fans beyond Evanston has led to an 80 percent jump in football season-ticket holders over the last three years and an increase of more than 40 percent in basketball season-ticket holders.

“It's been tremendously effective,” says Mike Polisky, NU's deputy athletic director of external affairs, who was hired in 2010 to oversee the business development of Northwestern athletics after stints as president of the Chicago Wolves minor league hockey and Chicago Rush arena football franchises.

See Northwestern's sports attendance stats and corporate sponsors

But attracting more casual sports fans in a market dominated by professional teams requires winning more big games, especially because Northwestern has fewer alumni in Chicago—80,000—than every Big Ten school except Penn State and Nebraska. (Yep, the quote was in there)

“They couldn't be in a worse situation as a college team, given the (small) size of the university and the competition in the city,” says A.J. Maestas, CEO of Chicago-based sports marketing firm Navigate Research.

Mr. Maestas says the Wildcats have been smart to play to casual sports fans rather than just those with Northwestern connections.

“They're never going to have a competitive advantage in sports” in the Chicago market, he says. “But if people start to think of them as the 'hometown' college team, those casual fans matter.”

On the field, the football and basketball teams mostly have squandered their opportunities to make a national statement.

Despite a school-record five-straight bowl appearances, the Northwestern football team is 1-7 in games when it is ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 or USA Today Coaches Poll since 2006. The basketball team has earned four-straight appearances in the postseason National Invitational Tournament but remains the only major conference team in the country never to qualify for the NCAA tournament.

But the bottom line still has grown with revamped promotions on radio, in print ads and on billboards combined with outreach like special Pace bus service from some suburbs to Evanston on game days and big events like the Northwestern-Illinois football game at Wrigley Field in 2010.

'THEME DU JOUR'

Last year, Northwestern signed a 10-year branding and marketing deal with Plano, Texas-based industry powerhouse Learfield Sports, part of Athletic Director Jim Phillips' push for more consistent branding, which “hasn't been there in the past,” Learfield CEO Greg Brown says.

“At Northwestern, it's been 'theme du jour' instead of sticking with something and staying committed to it,” he says.

Even with slight increases in season-ticket prices this year, average football attendance is up nearly 50 percent since 2009 to more than 36,000 per game. That's due in part to the creation of the athletic department's first “outbound” ticket salesforce, a group of employees deployed to make as many as 100 calls a day and cultivate relationships with season-ticket holders.

But at the heart of the turnaround is a greater understanding and acceptance of Northwestern's role in the Chicago sports landscape.

“We're OK being your second-favorite team,” Mr. Polisky says. “We're not going to fill our stadium organically,” he says of 47,130-seat Ryan Field. “So we have to have our arms open to everybody.”

That broader target audience attracted interest from the corporate world.

In 2010, Northwestern's stable of corporate partners included about 25 companies, mainly on Chicago's North Shore. Today, the school has almost 70 sponsors, including State Farm Insurance Cos., United Airlines, OfficeMax Inc., Valspar Corp. and Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Illinois.

The size of the sponsorship deals also has increased by as much as 40 percent in the past year, says Bob Welch, general manager of Northwestern Sports Properties, which manages sponsorship around the school's games.

“It's not the largest alumni base, but our partners are (targeting) a higher demographic—the decision-makers, the C-level audience that a lot of them want to be in front of,” he says.

BMO Harris Bank doubled down on a three-year sponsorship deal it signed in 2009 by negotiating a new contract through 2015 that put its logo on the basketball court and its name on the “N Club,” the high-end hospitality area at Welsh-Ryan Arena used for football and basketball games.

“They're a growing institution, just as we are,” says Gillian Fraser, head of U.S. sponsorship at the Chicago-based lender, which is the second-largest in the market by deposits. “We saw where they are going and we wanted to continue to be a part of it.”

There. Now go troll your next opponent instead of sticking around here.

I will agree with this. Maybe Minnesota fans were all hiding since we had literally nothing to cheer for the entire game, but of my seven trips to Evanston, that was the fewest number of Gophers in the stands that I've seen.

Despite all the whining of the Wildcat Trolls about "alumni" the Administration is holding firm in their Marketing program. The program has been very successful in getting more corporate money and getting more Season tickets sold. Getting their fans in the seats may not be as successful, but they are getting more money for them.

There. Now go troll your next opponent instead of sticking around here.

I apologize if I came off as a troll. That was not my intention. Good luck the rest of the way. I have respect for your program and Jerry Kill, and I hope you win out the rest of the way.

My only intention was to communicate that the typical NU (home) crowd at the Minnesota game felt largely similar to earlier this year and the 2014 NU crowd. The difference was far fewer opposing fans in the stands compared to B1G home games last year. Minnesota's fan attendance was on par with Ball State and Eastern Illinois, which I found surprising because I expected far more traveling Minnesota fans. I remember the Minnesota crowd at the 2013 game in Evanston was much bigger than last Saturday. The weather was craptastic last Saturday, so I'm sure that was a factor.

NU Attendance (2015)
Minnesota - 30,044
Ball State - 30,107
Eastern IL - 29,131
Stanford - 36,024

In 2014, NU averaged 38,613 home attendance with Cal, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan and Illinois as home opponents. The 2014 B1G games (except Illinois Thanksgiving weekend) had near capacity crowds likely with a ratio of about ~28-32K NU fans and 10-17K opposing fans. Given NU's Chicago location full of opposing B1G alumni and NU's small fan base, opposing teams usually travel quite well to Evanston and eat up much of the stadium capacity. For whatever reason, that didn't happen last Saturday.

Screen_Shot_2015-06-14_at_11.00.02_PM.0.jpg

I apologize if I came off as a troll. That was not my intention. Good luck the rest of the way. I have respect for your program and Jerry Kill, and I hope you win out the rest of the way.

My only intention was to communicate that the typical NU (home) crowd at the Minnesota game felt largely similar to earlier this year and the 2014 NU crowd. The difference was far fewer opposing fans in the stands compared to B1G home games last year. Minnesota's fan attendance was on par with Ball State and Eastern Illinois, which I found surprising because I expected far more traveling Minnesota fans. I remember the Minnesota crowd at the 2013 game in Evanston was much bigger than last Saturday. The weather was craptastic last Saturday, so I'm sure that was a factor.

NU Attendance (2015)
Minnesota - 30,044
Ball State - 30,107
Eastern IL - 29,131
Stanford - 36,024

In 2014, NU averaged 38,613 home attendance with Cal, Northern Illinois, Western Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan and Illinois as home opponents. The 2014 B1G games (except Illinois Thanksgiving weekend) had near capacity crowds likely with a ratio of about ~28-32K NU fans and 10-17K opposing fans. Given NU's Chicago location full of opposing B1G alumni and NU's small fan base, opposing teams usually travel quite well to Evanston and eat up much of the stadium capacity. For whatever reason, that didn't happen last Saturday.

View attachment 3860

Wisconsin is a lot closer so that makes sense they would draw more. Madison is only 2 1/2 hours away. Same with Illinois. Nebraska and Michigan just have a much larger fan base in general.

I also think our game at Colorado St. earlier this year may have made somewhat of a difference. There was a very good crowd that traveled there and many people aren't able to go on a bunch of road trips each season. They have to be a little picky and going to Fort Collins may have been a more exciting option for many. I could be way off though, just a thought.

That was Northwestern's "Juice Squad". They are made of mostly of redshirting and injured players and their role it to keep the team motivated... this video has been making the rounds of BTN.com and sports sites. I, like many NU alumni, think its a bit silly, but I'm not embarrassed by it. Its nice to see players having fun and it gets the players who can't play involved.

Northwestern dancing

Couple of press conference tweets from Rivals writer for Northwestern:
Tweet 1
Tweet 2

I think NU would like higher attendance also... but they struggle with a spread-out alumni base, a city (Chicago) with divided loyalties (Bears, Notre Dame, etc), a smaller alumni-base, and historical poor-performance. That being said, they are building new facilities (targeted towards athletes/students first) and the product on-the-field is certainly improving.

--
CardinalFIB

Yup. They were just dinking around and dancing the whole game. They had planned dances. A Northwestern alum we were with says most fans can't understand why they get away with acting like fools. THEY say it is embarrassing

Also, I don't care how small your school is. You are ranked and undefeated. And within a short drive of a large number of your alumni. How are their not more people there?

I think Northwestern is a great road trip. I was also suprised how few gopher fans were there. I thought the U ticket office claimed that they sold all their allotment. Very few gopher fans there from what I saw.

I think Northwestern is a great road trip. I was also suprised how few gopher fans were there. I thought the U ticket office claimed that they sold all their allotment. Very few gopher fans there from what I saw.

Maybe because I went to school in Chicago and I love downtown this is about the only road trip I like to go to. I don't care to go to Madison, Iowa City, Lincoln, State College, Ann Arbor, East Lansing, etc. The road trip for me is more than just football. I love the shopping and the eating. I do go to Champaign only because I stay in Chicago.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom