This seems obvious but they have to play faster or go up temp on offense

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
In the first half the Gophers were moving the ball against Northwestern a little bit, but stalled out twice at the 30 yard line either by execution or play calls. We cannot block two or three tight ends sets so were going to need more spread sets.

Have to get plays that develop quickly with a chance to move the chains, get the players having fun again and having some success on offense. I keep hearing about all of the injury's to the O-line and although no doubt that has played a role in the offensive struggles, to me another big issue has been the injury's to the tight ends and lack of blocking from the full back position that we are used to that has hurt the offense a lot. There always seems to be one person missing a block, or one or two people aligned wrong, or making a mistake in going the wrong direction. There are no seams to run at up front because everyone is overloading on the edge, consistently running twist stunts and teams are bringing back side pressure to the blind side.

We are getting overloaded on the left side of the offensive line and keep getting beat by blitz pressure and the QB really has been limited in the amount of time he has had to throw the ball at least all of the early games it was that way.

Northwestern was getting pressure off the edge without the extra blitzer, there D ends were beating our tackles one on one and I would agree those are some of the better defensive ends we will see in Big 10 play besides Iowa. People are crashing there defensive ends down on us hard.

This is captain obvious, but to me you have to shorten the amount of time it takes for plays to develop, that means, up tempo, maybe even some no huddle, where your throwing quick outs, quick dig routes, middle screens, and even some option pitch off the read option for the QB. Running what the Gophers traditionally run isn't gonna work this year because we don't have the horses that can block it both in the O-line and tight ends due to Injuries. We traditionally have tall tight ends that are strong and good blockers like extra tackles on the line and the Gophers simply do not have that this year. There going to have to throw more and Mitch is going to have to find a way to play fast, make quick decisions and throw an accurate ball. Croft will need to play in case of injury because right now we don't have a back up QB with game experience beyond the limited play Croft had against Northwestern. Croft needs to play because Mitch is inconsistent and Strev has moved to WR.

If there going to keep looking to throw the ball to the tight end, or need a good seal blocker they should possibly consider moving Gaelin Elemore back to the tight end position from defensive end. This offense is in strong need of an athletic H-back. I only suggest Elmore because he has tight end experience at least in fall camp. In this offense the tight end this team likes to run you need an athletic, big guy that can run from the H back spot and get open in space, can block and push people just getting in the way some and is quick enough to pick up and get in front of the edge blitzers. To me we have plenty of defensive lineman and red-shirting line man, on offense we lack an athletic big man that can run, with Plesk and Anywonyou out and Lingen playing the traditional blocking roll we don't have an H-back like Williams right now. I realize Max was a good football player and hard to replace, but we sure do miss his athleticism, and Goodgers ability to seal the edge blitzers. That might be to risky this late in the season but I would try and work him Elmore on offense some in case you need a more athletic H-back. I would like to see more three and four wide receiver sets and more pick plays from those sets.

Yes some good ideas and I do not envy the coaching staff's responsibility in quickly improving this offense. I believe the tackle and tight end play is hurting the team the most now with the current scheme which is very similar to the past few years when they had relative success with it.
Do you quickly try to adjust personnel or adjust the scheme?

I'd go with that.

I agree, it could be hard but it is past time to start throwing things at the wall to see what sticks offensively. The OL is hurt but just trying to patch that hole and doubling down on our existing plays isn't working, we need to take the pressure off the line if at all possible.

Well, the thing about the uptempo offense is that it requires that you move the ball, or else you'll just be going through three and outs that much quicker and *really* putting the burden on your defense. The perfect example of that you're seeing right now is with Chip Kelly in Philadelphia, still insistently trying to go uptempo, but they're mostly ineffective in moving the ball (terrible offensive line, cannot run to save their lives, and have an inconsistent quarterback), so that's just led to a ton of Eagles three and outs averaging 60-90 seconds in length and leaving their defense out on the field an obscene amount of time, and that is showing.

First rate analysis. Thanks.

Agreed. Nice write-up.

And thanks for the +1 Great Plains, I usually skip the long posts but that was good stuff.

Seems like more quick throws and 3 or 4 WR sets would also open up some room in the run game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the thing about the uptempo offense is that it requires that you move the ball, or else you'll just be going through three and outs that much quicker and *really* putting the burden on your defense. The perfect example of that you're seeing right now is with Chip Kelly in Philadelphia, still insistently trying to go uptempo, but they're mostly ineffective in moving the ball (terrible offensive line, cannot run to save their lives, and have an inconsistent quarterback), so that's just led to a ton of Eagles three and outs averaging 60-90 seconds in length and leaving their defense out on the field an obscene amount of time, and that is showing.

Technically, the three and outs are about the same length of time, the play clock starts as soon as the play is whistled dead. You are correct that if an offense can't complete passes the defense will wear down come the fourth quarter. So the trick is, don't miss passes....and score points. We aren't very good at either right now. Then again, if we decide to run 70% of the time andcan't run we might lose by a less embarrassing score.

It would be nice if we could find a way to move the ball and score points, despite our talent gap. What offensive schemes do teams turn to when there is a talent deficit?

I agree with most of what you are saying Seany

The Eagles are a prime example of this as a primary offense that is failing in the NFL. Gophers are getting pounded by edge blitzers safties and linebackers, and defensive ends in the backfield, have to find a way to minimize it. Maybe Limegrover should turn over box duties to Coach Z, until he can get the offensive line group if they have to use Freshman or more healthy body's prepared. Northwestern's defensive ends and linebackers turned the game and momentum by stalling out our drives and being disruptive in the backfield much of the game. That and the no hang time punt that resulted in field position at the Gophers 8 yard line turned what could have been a close game in to a shut out and disheartening effort by the offense. The Northwestern D-line controlled the line of scrimmage off the edge. Alignment from the fullback and blocking seems to be an issue too, at least in my opinion. Were getting overloaded on the edges a lot by opposing Defenses and getting backside pressure.

The injury's in the tight end grouping especially to an experienced guy like Plesk has hurt this offense immensely, it's not all offensive line and QB, and it is usually just one mistake in the breakdown of a sequence.

Only reason I suggest up tempo or no huddle is it gives the QB less time to think, so it forces him to have to play faster, worry less about getting hit and pushes him to make the right read in shorter period of time. That and if the QB doesn't like the look of the defense at the line he has the right to audible and change to what he is seeing. The main benefit is it gives the defense less time to change personnel groupings, minimizes the amount of time your QB has to have the ball in his hands, and minimizes the amount of time your offensive line has to pass protect or think about other things, it allows them to concentrate on the play called or the audible and concentrate on their assignments. It is also an attempt to try and force the QB to get in a rhythm and be more accurate.
Throws that require touch or exact accuracy seem to limit our offense. Maybe CS5 can run some of the routes Williams did and get open quick because of his speed. Can he catch?
Longer developing plays are not giving our running backs any seams or creases to run at. What the Gophers traditional offense two or three tight end sets with an athletic HB, has been limited do to injury's in personnel groupings of the tight ends, tackles and guards. I still think Leidner can be effective, but you have to get the ball out of his hands quick and limit the amount of times he is getting hit. Croft will need to play because CS5 has been moved to wide receiver.

I'm sure the coaches realize all of the problems I describe and absolutely with further detail and with much better analysis, I just am trying to give a basic perception of what I see wrong. Defenses are getting extreme pressure off twists, edge blitzes and especially blitzes to the left side of the line. Northwestern had good defensive ends that could get under and around our pad level quickly on the O-line. They are exploiting our confusion, injury's and lack of continuity due to the mounting injury's and lack of practice time as a group.

None of this stuff is easy to fix when your putting together unexpected parts, or trying to piece together changes from people your not used to using.

I would love to see Streveler line up at TE and run down the middle or drag across the middle. Almost all of the passing against NW was to the edge. Was that play calling? Did Limegrover fear the interior of the secondary?

I would love to see Streveler line up at TE and run down the middle or drag across the middle. Almost all of the passing against NW was to the edge. Was that play calling? Did Limegrover fear the interior of the secondary?
No takes time for a drag route or middle screens to develop, we were getting pressured off the edge all game and had limited time to throw the ball. Northwestern created a lot of havoc off the edge with speed and there defensive ends(strong and fast) were the best the Gophers have seen this season better than TCU even. If Gophers can create a pick off of a wide receiver screen and get the blocks I could see CS5 being a real weapon on those quick outs and inside slants and drags, just need to create a little more time for the play to develop. Even Maye can be effective, just need the time to block and seal back inside.

I don't think they trust Mitch to throw in the middle of the field. This has been lacking all year.

I think it was a reaction to how NW was playing us. They had the box stacked which means more defenders in the middle of the field. They dared us to make plays on the outside down the field and we couldn't do it and never really even tried.

Thought of this, Start Croft, move Leidner to TE (it's natural to him) and Strev as an H back. Those are two big strong boys, why not utilize them? They won't, but on paper it's a nice thought. Could also be used to make the opposing defenses think twice, THREE QBS IN THE GAME, WHA?!

Thought of this, Start Croft, move Leidner to TE (it's natural to him) and Strev as an H back. Those are two big strong boys, why not utilize them? They won't, but on paper it's a nice thought. Could also be used to make the opposing defenses think twice, THREE QBS IN THE GAME, WHA?!

Hazell be like...

"THREE QBS IN THE GAME, WHAT?!"

454389888-head-coach-darrell-hazell-of-the-purdue-gettyimages.jpg

I don't think they trust Mitch to throw in the middle of the field. This has been lacking all year.

I would think throwing to the outside would be harder. Longer throw that has a better chance of being picked off.

I thought about that too. Starting Croft and moving Leidner to TE might just make both positions better. Probably too late for this year though.

I would think throwing to the outside would be harder. Longer throw that has a better chance of being picked off.
True, but throwing to the outside is more simple to read in my opinion. You only have to worry about the defenders inside of your receiver.
Mitch has plenty of arm strength.

There was a question as to what offense to run when you can't stop the penetration off the edges. Back in the day, the perfect time to run the option was when the ends were crashing. I hate the offense but it's a temporary solution along with sprint out passes to the right.

There was a question as to what offense to run when you can't stop the penetration off the edges. Back in the day, the perfect time to run the option was when the ends were crashing. I hate the offense but it's a temporary solution along with sprint out passes to the right.

True but not if Leidner is injured and just can't run.

True but not if Leidner is injured and just can't run.
Do you think he is? I think if he's healthy they should go back to that tough read option with him keeping it more and lowering his shoulder.

Do you think he is? I think if he's healthy they should go back to that tough read option with him keeping it more and lowering his shoulder.

Yeah, I kind of do. He just has looked so damn slow and after hearing Darrell Thompson talk Saturday about how people shouldn't expect Mitch to just take off like he use to "with braces now on both knees" certainly leaning that way.

Yeah, I kind of do. He just has looked so damn slow and after hearing Darrell Thompson talk Saturday about how people shouldn't expect Mitch to just take off like he use to "with braces now on both knees" certainly leaning that way.
That makes sense. Thanks

I think Mitch's thing is to hedge his bets and throw over his receiver if the DB is close to being behind the WR.... and go short if the DB is behind the WR.... for all of his misthrows he was pretty consistent on not being in the hands of the other team.

Besides the current issues............this offensive scheme is just plain outdated. Time for a whole new philosophy, starting this off-season.

Top Bottom