O Line Development

Mason talked about that during the game, how he liked the 6'0" to 6'2" guys for run blocking because of the leverage they could have running the football. Pass blocking OLs are usually better with the 6'5" on up guys because of their long arms.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That doesn't seem like a large number, out of 20 OL. In addition, by the 2003 roster there were 3 and by 2006, only 1. So his trend was toward less taller OL, consistent with his recent comments. What's the implied contradiction about that?

Or scheme relies on people to win one-on-one match ups at the point of attack. That's not going to be successful when there is injuries/lack of talent.

This and it is difficult if one person makes a mistake, gets beat off speed or a back or tight end doesn't pick up a blitzer. it is not as simple as just the O-line isn't good or not making blocks as a group, or the QB sucks or just Injuries, even NFL teams find it difficult to play back ups and people that are not used to playing together. The injury's and struggles applies to the tight end group we had to replace Goodger, a really good blocker, especially sealing off the edge or backside, and Williams NFL talent in creating his own space and making catches that others have not or cannot create the space for. Were playing three people right now at tight end that were behind two other guys that were more athletic going in to fall camp. Not getting the same play out of the fullback position either as far as always blocking the right person, and Cobb was great at beating first contact and rubbing off tackles and making additional yards after getting hit.
The biggest thing we can do, is get healthy, and try to play faster, use faster developing plays and limit mistakes and simplify. The running backs need at least a seem to run at, or to find the right cutback and beat a tackle after contact.

Northwestern had a really good front seven same as Iowa, so they will make you look worse than maybe you actually are, and we did move the ball at times, injury's, field position, Northwestern holding on to the ball for long stretches, and special teams breakdowns also contributed to being shut out.

What coach Kill said about the Freshman OL during the Sid and Dave show is this, they are talented as a group but they do not know all of the play calls, and have not worked together in the group as much, so you run the risk of even more mistakes, or doing the wrong thing. Especially, if you end up playing someone you were not expecting to play.
At some point if health really becomes a problem, you may have to pull the shirt to increase the speed and level of play. Those are the risks you have to weigh out, and getting someone hurt that may not be ready. It's going to continue to be a long tough year though if they cannot find a way to improve our front six right now because we are getting killed, or find a way to minimize the weaknesses, change personnel groupings, and find a way to have some success on offense and sustain drives. Have to be able to sustain drives more and come away with some points if we get to the 32 yard line or better of the opponent. Hopefully the experience of our staff, can turn the tide because it has been five games now that the offense has struggled some in each of them. The defense is going to continue to wear down and make more mistakes and see some unlucky Injury's because they play physical and tackle hard, they will need some help from the offense in order to win some more games, sounds simple but it is true.

Mason was a backup linebacker for Woody Hayes at Ohio St. He coached a lot of different positions as an assistant. It seems that O line coaching was his main area of focus as his career progressed, and as head coach he clearly was more interested in the offensive side of the ball. Mason was also not that stubborn about scheme, since he ran the 2000-2006 system that worked great, and before that a "speed" option attach with Cockerham that also worked well. Prior to that he started with an awful option attach with Elliott Uzelac? as OC in 1998 with statue like Cory Sauter running the ball.

Mason believed in running the ball in some fashion and having a good O line. He also talked about stopping the run, and I guess his teams were better at than than stopping the pass at least. He at least showed some flexibility with his offense, and clearly understood what he wanted on defense, but just could not get the talent here, or staff stability.

I still am not sure what Kill's offensive philosophy is after five years, but I am starting to really hate watching it. The results at NIU vs this crap is astounding, but there probably are good explanations for this drop off with mid level talent trying to run the same thing in the Big Ten against better talent. Or maybe not, wee results this year vs. Kent State and Ohio.

Maybe we should just hire Mack Brown, Charlie Weis or the Zooker. just kidding, but I'd consider bringing Mark Mangino as OC.

Mason also had a good O-line coach. When Shaw coached the D-line, they were strong, but when he went over to the O-line
they excelled. I really wish we had an O-line coach of his caliber now.

Comparisons with Mason are apples to oranges.

We don't run any of the plays or schemes he ran.

We also recruit a different type of player.

Mason also had a good O-line coach. When Shaw coached the D-line, they were strong, but when he went over to the O-line
they excelled. I really wish we had an O-line coach of his caliber now.
+1

Right -- I'm saying that I would expect Hayes to be able to step in at this point in his career. But if he can't, I would be willing to play a healthy freshman.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

That could be another factor in WHY our line is lookin' rough. Besides what's already posted, we have guys on the bench that have never really played, getting passed up by true and redshirt freshman. This happens everywhere, but it does seem like we have some guys that just never panned out, and when your rebuilding a program AND you get the injury bug, that hurts.

I hope we get to the point one day where we have the stability to redshirt all of our lineman, giving them a year to grow and learn, and by the time they are starting they have 3 or so years in the system.

I am hoping that limegrover finally relinquishes his O-Line coaching duties after this season and they go out and hire an actual coach. O line is probably the most important position group on the field, and we are clearly hurting.

Splitting time may have worked at the MAC level but it is not gonna cut it here. We need someone full time working with these guys.

I am hoping that limegrover finally relinquishes his O-Line coaching duties after this season and they go out and hire an actual coach. O line is probably the most important position group on the field, and we are clearly hurting.

Splitting time may have worked at the MAC level but it is not gonna cut it here. We need someone full time working with these guys.

People keep saying this, but no one is telling us who they would fire to make room.

People keep saying this, but no one is telling us who they would fire to make room.

to this point, ncaa limits teams to nine assistant coaches. Kicking/punting almost never have a coach.

Tracy Claeys - Associate Head Coach
Matt Limegrover - Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Line
Brian Anderson - Wide Receiver Coach
Jeff Phelps - Defensive Line
Pat Poore - Running Backs Coach
Rob Reeves - H-Backs/Tight Ends
Jay Sawvel - Defensive Backs/Special Teams
Mike Sherels - Linebacker Coach
Jim Zebrowski - Quarterbacks Coach / Passing Game Coordinator

to this point, ncaa limits teams to nine assistant coaches. Kicking/punting almost never have a coach.

Tracy Claeys - Associate Head Coach
Matt Limegrover - Assistant Head Coach / Offensive Line
Brian Anderson - Wide Receiver Coach
Jeff Phelps - Defensive Line
Pat Poore - Running Backs Coach
Rob Reeves - H-Backs/Tight Ends
Jay Sawvel - Defensive Backs/Special Teams
Mike Sherels - Linebacker Coach
Jim Zebrowski - Quarterbacks Coach / Passing Game Coordinator

Right. That's my point. A lot of people on this board are saying it's as simple as hiring another coach to take over line duties or OC duties. The staff would have to get rid of 1 current coach to make room for that person.

From the NCAA bylaws:
11.7.2 Bowl Subdivision Football. [FBS] There shall be a limit of one head coach, nine assistant coaches and two graduate
assistant coaches who may be employed by an institution in bowl subdivision football.

Why couldn't zebrowski take over oc duties?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom