Special Season for who?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Balance on Offense and Defense. Iowa or Northwestern could go 12-0. Iowa and Northwestern beat Stanford, Duke, Iowa St. and Pittsburgh. Those teams are 13-1 outside of those losses. Stanford is destroying people.

IMHO I believe that after 1 week of conference play, there are five teams with a chance to win the Big Ten based on balance of offense and defense.

East
tOSU
MSU
MICH

West
Iowa
Northwestern

It's really gross that Iowa has two lucky wins already. With as easy as their schedule is they have a great shot at winning the West which would make me puke.

Why are NW and IA good this year? Is it all coaching?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Why are NW and IA good this year? Is it all coaching?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Well, it can't possibly be coaching. I mean, if you believe Iowa fans, Ferentz should've been canned years ago. Remember 51-14 last year? Remember the two horrible losses in TCF in back-to-back years?

And Fitzgerald? Come on...he just guided NW to two straight 5-7 seasons after a 10 win year. He obviously can't coach. /sarcasm

They're good because they have good players. Just like MN was good last year because they had good players (several of whom are now in the NFL). Teams like Iowa, NW, and MN aren't OSU or Alabama. They'll never be elite every single year...they just can't consistently recruit the horses. They'll occasionally have good years because a crop of very talented players comes together at the right time, but 5, 6, and 7 win seasons will be sprinkled in as well.

My belief about coaching is that 90% of the guys who make it to this level have very little impact on the game. The top 5% and the bottom 5% probably do, but for the most part talent wins. Brewster knew that and was committed to building a program around it. Unfortunately, he was also one of those bottom 5% guys.

Stanford is playing much better now than they were earlier in the season. But Northwestern is still a good team. Iowa - not so sure their offense is good enough to lead them to 12-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This offense is on pace to be historically bad. Losing a few starters should not equate to barely sliding by some relatively bad G5 teams. We were told we had 8 starter quality linemen during camp. we have talented underclassmen. Throwing a donut at NW is not acceptable.

Northwestern has Michigan, Iowa, and Nebraska in it's next three games. Their defense looks good enough to hold up, but we will see.

This offense is on pace to be historically bad. Losing a few starters should not equate to barely sliding by some relatively bad G5 teams. We were told we had 8 starter quality linemen during camp. we have talented underclassmen. Throwing a donut at NW is not acceptable.

Yes, we agree we will not be one of the teams having a Special Season.

Northwestern has Michigan, Iowa, and Nebraska in it's next three games. Their defense looks good enough to hold up, but we will see.

I don't think they will beat Michigan but I think they can beat anyone in the West. Iowa and Wisconsin had fine defensive games yesterday but neither team really looks great all around. At 2-3 Nebraska obviously has issues and they have Wisconsin, NW, Iowa, Michigan State, and Minnesota (away) left. It's been about 10 years since Nebraska has failed to make a bowl (actually failed twice under Bill Callahan) but it could happen this year.

Iowa's toughest game left is at Northwestern. I don't see another team that they can legitimately lose to. The might drop 2 games, but at least one would have to be a fluke. I have them at 11-1.

Northwestern's schedule is pretty difficult if you look at it, and I'm still not impressed with their offense.

Stanford is playing much better now than they were earlier in the season. But Northwestern is still a good team. Iowa - not so sure their offense is good enough to lead them to 12-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you have those two teams reversed. Iowa has a stud QB and a bunch of future NFL O-linemen. NW is playing a freshman QB that looks every bit of it.

Iowa's toughest game left is at Northwestern. I don't see another team that they can legitimately lose to. The might drop 2 games, but at least one would have to be a fluke. I have them at 11-1.

Northwestern's schedule is pretty difficult if you look at it, and I'm still not impressed with their offense.

I could see Iowa getting upset by Indiana on the road but I'd be pretty surprised if they lost more than 2.

I could see Iowa getting upset by Indiana on the road but I'd be pretty surprised if they lost more than 2.

I agree that that is their 2nd toughest game left, and most likely loss outside of NW.

Balance on Offense and Defense. Iowa or Northwestern could go 12-0. Iowa and Northwestern beat Stanford, Duke, Iowa St. and Pittsburgh. Those teams are 13-1 outside of those losses. Stanford is destroying people.

IMHO I believe that after 1 week of conference play, there are five teams with a chance to win the Big Ten based on balance of offense and defense.

East
tOSU
MSU
MICH

West
Iowa
Northwestern

I agree, the first week of the season settles it. The west will won on the last week of the season and it wont be either of those teams.

It's really gross that Iowa has two lucky wins already. With as easy as their schedule is they have a great shot at winning the West which would make me puke.

Well they could give Kirk a contract extension on his already enormous contract.....

I think you have those two teams reversed. Iowa has a stud QB and a bunch of future NFL O-linemen. NW is playing a freshman QB that looks every bit of it.

Beathard was 9/21 for 77 yds against Wisconsin. Pretty much what Leidner did against Northwestern.

If Northwestern gets past Michigan this weekend- they have an excellent chance to run the table. If they get to Indy with a ton of momentum- who knows- we may see a different Big Ten team in the BCS than we anticipated. How mind blowing would that be?

If Northwestern gets past Michigan this weekend- they have an excellent chance to run the table. If they get to Indy with a ton of momentum- who knows- we may see a different Big Ten team in the BCS than we anticipated. How mind blowing would that be?

Extremely, especially considering the BCS no longer exists. :cool02:

Extremely, especially considering the BCS no longer exists. :cool02:

BCS, FCS...How about BS. As Gopher fans, it's not something we really have to worry about and if we ever do, the name will have changed numerous times anyway.

Top Bottom