Now that Demry Croft can no longer redshirt, who should start at QB the rest of year?

Now that Demry Croft can no longer redshirt, who should start at QB the rest of year?

• Play Leidner as he still has experience and gives us best chance to win.

Votes: 25 15.0%
  • Gotta roll with Croft now. He is the future and gives us best chance to win this year

Votes: 128 76.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

Demry doesn't give us the best chance to win and shouldn't be the outright starter but start getting him maybe 25-45% of the snaps and not just in garbage time.

Well Darrell Thompson just said that he thinks Croft will start and he should as he's the best option available.....

Croft, might give that offensive line a rallying point. Keep the frosh upright.

Serious question: does anyone have any insight as to how Mitch was viewed by teammates? Was their any chatter about Croft from the players? Just curious... as the world turns.

Demry doesn't give us the best chance to win and shouldn't be the outright starter but start getting him maybe 25-45% of the snaps and not just in garbage time.

That sort of arrangement rarely works. At this point, it really doesn't matter so much who gives us the best chance to win this year (I don't know that 6 wins and an Armed Forces Bowl invite is worth delaying the QB change). If Leidner and Croft rotate this year, the team goes into next year without resolving next year's QB and we already know that Leidner simply isn't consistent enough to give this team much upside. I say start Croft and bring in Leidner as a backup if Croft really struggles in a game.

Well at this point it would be foolish not to start Croft the rest of the year as long as he stays healthy, seeing as he has now used up a year of eligibility. It's rebuilding time, folks.

I have never been a fan of Leidner as QB at all, but at this point I would have rather seen Croft stay redshirted. Streveler apparently is not the answer, which leaves Perra. I am really surprised he hasn't gotten even a sniff yet, so I'd love to hear some reports about why. We heard some good things about him over the last couple years.

Mitch can't run anymore, apparently. This is key.

Yeah I have been wondering about this too. The one thing he was good at was keeping defenses honest with his legs and we don't even have that anymore.

Best chance to win is made by winning turnover margin and playing exceptional D/ST.
I do think Croft is, at least capable of, throwing a ball in the area code in which his team is playing.
Leidner is a great kid and admire his intangibles (2nd to none).....his skill set is questionable.

Nothing against him personally as I really appreciate his effort. At the same time........he's just not that good.

DC11 will start. He should too. His RS is gone. ML7 has regressed. Try to salvage the season and if you can't start prepping for next year. Really sucks that is where we are, but JK acknowledged as much today.

I see how Mitch responds, but game plan for both to play. My bigger question is why are we not pulling a couple red-shirts on o-line?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leidner will remain the starter but now that Croft burned his shirt, the leash will become shorter and shorter. Croft didn't do enough to take the job. Opposing defenses will just blitz him mercilessly. They need to fix the offensive line. It won't matter who the quarterback is until they find five guys who can block.

This is my fear, with both points, that Leidner will start again simply because he can take a beating better with our
crappy offensive line. Maybe Croft can scramble better and we can run the read option again to success, but he might
take a licking from a LB that'll take out his season.

I noticed our TEs aren't very good blockers, I think this is where we miss Plsek a lot. We FINALLY ran two jet sweeps,
that would've been good yardage runs, if Lingen hadn't had the OLB blow right past him...both times.

Doesn't matter who starts if our O Line isn't healthy.

Can't put all the blame on the o line. Mitch has plenty of time to make throws the majority of the time and today we had bad Mitch rushing his delivery and making poor decisions. As others have said he simply doesn't have good mechanics when the bullets are live. Does he throw like this in practice? ( serious question).

The mental part of it just isn't clicking. A different QB could absolutely do better, even if it is marginally, with the same offensive line.

That sort of arrangement rarely works. At this point, it really doesn't matter so much who gives us the best chance to win this year (I don't know that 6 wins and an Armed Forces Bowl invite is worth delaying the QB change). If Leidner and Croft rotate this year, the team goes into next year without resolving next year's QB and we already know that Leidner simply isn't consistent enough to give this team much upside. I say start Croft and bring in Leidner as a backup if Croft really struggles in a game.

Huh? Gophers could still realistically win 8 games this year. It absolutely does matter.

Platoon situation most likely.

Streveler must not be anywhere near able to be a viable option.

I say let's just let 'er rip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of all these freshmen that are getting huge minutes at the skill position trying to take this offense over and changing the way we play.

Now disappointing have our offensive upper classmen been? Every single position other than KJ Maye just a huge letdown.

Play them both. Start whoever. Croft will die a slow death if he gets 100% of the snaps behind this O-line. Gotta keep his brain intact for next year. It looks like he's the future--all 190lbs of him.

Can't put all the blame on the o line. Mitch has plenty of time to make throws the majority of the time and today we had bad Mitch rushing his delivery and making poor decisions. As others have said he simply doesn't have good mechanics when the bullets are live. Does he throw like this in practice? ( serious question).

The mental part of it just isn't clicking. A different QB could absolutely do better, even if it is marginally, with the same offensive line.

Leidner played very badly but I disagree with that. Thorson had plenty of time to throw today, not Leidner. The OL did not play well in the running or passing game in my opinion.

I think you will see Mitch, and should... But now that the redshirt is off,Mitch's leash is shorter.

Leidner played very badly but I disagree with that. Thorson had plenty of time to throw today, not Leidner. The OL did not play well in the running or passing game in my opinion.

He has enough time to step into his throws, most of the time. Not all the time. Obviously he is being pressured at times, but most QBs don't have 6-7 seconds to throw the ball and don't forget how to throw. I'm not arguing the line is playing lights out in pass protection, but they're not the main issue. I would look at the scheme and the QB jitters (which are related IMO).

Knowing this Coaching staff, Leidner will be back as the starter. A smart non-stubborn Coaching staff will have Croft take all the first team reps and have him as the starter for the rest of the year. You don't burn a redshirt just to take out Leidner for a quarter.
I'd be surprised if Croft starts next week. Leidner inspiires the same loyalty from coaches for his "toughness" that Webber did with Brewster. Same results, too.

Croft should start or at least get significant minutes if they are going to burn his red shirt.

BTW, I'm torn on Mitch. He obviously can play well at times. Look at last week. Look at some games last season. But when he's struggling...can't keep him in there hoping he'll recover. I would probably start him but have a quick hook, or alternate series. Yes, historically it doesn't always work. But on O, we don't have much to lose this season. Get Demry his reps. Try to motivate Mitch.

I still have a hard time believing Streveler was such a miss. He can run with the best; it's a real shame he didn't develop as a passer. Again, comes back to the assessments and development capabilities of the coaches. The product on the field is the coach's baby, for better or worse.

He has enough time to step into his throws, most of the time. Not all the time. Obviously he is being pressured at times, but most QBs don't have 6-7 seconds to throw the ball and don't forget how to throw. I'm not arguing the line is playing lights out in pass protection, but they're not the main issue. I would look at the scheme and the QB jitters (which are related IMO).

Of course I didn't mean he should be getting 6-7 seconds. I just wouldn't say he had "plenty of time". That insinuates the OL played well and that couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion.

The offense is very obviously a dumpster fire. I was convinced that Kill & staff are so stubborn they would keep
Leidner in all game, even when it made no sense to. By the middle of the third quarter, Leidner's efforts were little
more than human suffering.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Croft. Is he fully ready? No. However, many times freshman qbs with
less skillset come in and do just fine. Also, Mitch seems to come back and play much better after he's been sent
to the bench for awhile.

The wildcard to all this is your O-line. What a mess. Injuries, whatever.

Do I have all the answers? No. Do I have any? I don't know. I'm not sure the coaching staff knows what its gonna do.

All I know is that right now, if we go 6-6 and get to a minor bowl I'll be ecstatic.....

Btw- the D is superb

Well the question is:

Did Coach Kill have enough of Leidner's play or did Coach Kill think with the game out of hand, it was a good opportunity to get Croft some action?

I'm hoping it's the first one, but I'm afraid it's the second one. Guess we'll find out next Saturday.

Of course I didn't mean he should be getting 6-7 seconds. I just wouldn't say he had "plenty of time". That insinuates the OL played well and that couldn't be further from the truth in my opinion.

I agree with you.

Huh? Gophers could still realistically win 8 games this year. It absolutely does matter.

Well, your screen name certainly is appropriate. I don't know how anyone can like the Gophers' chances to win 8 games this year. Right now they are competing with Purdue, Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers to determine which is the worst team in the conference.

Top Bottom