Richard Pitino on Norwood Teague, his raise and his starting lineup

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand:

ON STARTING LINEUP THOUGHTS:

I would say my idea if I was playing tonight it would probably be Nate (Mason), Carlos (Morris), (Charles) Buggs, Joey (King) and Bakary (Konate). But again, in six weeks (before the first game) so much can change. In my ideal world, that’s a big lineup and pretty talented. But one thing you learn is that you make a plan and you know it’s going to change. But I like the size of that lineup. I like the speed. I like the athleticism. But if guys aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do, you have to be willing to change.

ON HIS RAISE AND WHETHER THAT’S A VOTE OF CONFIDENCE:

It’s funny, I think what I look at to be honest is getting two more years. That’s what excites me because the President (Eric Kaler) and Norwood at the time believed that even though we weren’t where we want to be, we’re on the right track and that with more time we can do great things. I really feel like we’re starting to turn the corner with the guys in this program and with the recruiting moving forward. I feel like we’re really positioned to move in the right direction.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...-his-raise-and-his-starting-lineup/330442521/

Go Gophers!!

Biggest Surprise...

per Rand:

I would say my idea if I was playing tonight it would probably be Nate (Mason), Carlos (Morris), (Charles) Buggs, Joey (King) and Bakary (Konate). But again, in six weeks (before the first game) so much can change. In my ideal world, that’s a big lineup and pretty talented. But one thing you learn is that you make a plan and you know it’s going to change. But I like the size of that lineup. I like the speed. I like the athleticism. But if guys aren’t doing what they’re supposed to do, you have to be willing to change.

ON HIS RAISE AND WHETHER THAT’S A VOTE OF CONFIDENCE:

It’s funny, I think what I look at to be honest is getting two more years. That’s what excites me because the President (Eric Kaler) and Norwood at the time believed that even though we weren’t where we want to be, we’re on the right track and that with more time we can do great things. I really feel like we’re starting to turn the corner with the guys in this program and with the recruiting moving forward. I feel like we’re really positioned to move in the right direction.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...-his-raise-and-his-starting-lineup/330442521/

Go Gophers!!

Pitino saying Buggs would start if the season began now is a bit of surprise but he also follows it up with words almost promising he'll get beat out. Ha

If you're an experienced coach in an established program I can see those 5 as the starting point. In a rebuilding program he's off by 2 or 3.

First day of practice......probably start with returning players.

I don't understand?

I think howie was implying that we should be starting the freshmen over Buggs and probably Morris. But none of us have been sitting through practices and so we can't see the improvement or not that Buggs is or isn't making.

Pitino saying Buggs would start if the season began now is a bit of surprise but he also follows it up with words almost promising he'll get beat out. Ha

This is standard coaching- declare the veterans starters and motivate the frosh to beat them out. We may not be a great team but we will have good depth except at center.

I agree with bga1 here, I think it's detrimental to hand a younger/first year player a starting job until they earn it. Lets hope the younger guys earn more playing time as the season moves along.

I am also to the point where I feel bad for Pitino having to address his raise. He's made a number of very self aware comments about the situation for well over a month now.

per Rand:

Go Gophers!!

Does anyone need two guesses at who that is directed at?

This is standard coaching- declare the veterans starters and motivate the frosh to beat them out. We may not be a great team but we will have good depth except at center.

With 10 active scholarship players (and the comments we heard from Pitino in the summer indicate that Gilbert may have been a little further behind than he thought he might be), I wouldn't say we'll have "good" depth. There are 6 front court players listed on the roster but only King (whose rebounding deficiencies are well known) is an established returning veteran. Murphy definitely showed promise over the summer. Bakary would have to take a giant step forward (that's possible) to be anything more than decent right now. The team has only four guards and that as much as anything probably dictates a three forward lineup most of the time. It's nice to have two potentially starting caliber point guards and another (McBrayer) who purportedly has some point guard skills.

With 10 active scholarship players (and the comments we heard from Pitino in the summer indicate that Gilbert may have been a little further behind than he thought he might be), I wouldn't say we'll have "good" depth. There are 6 front court players listed on the roster but only King (whose rebounding deficiencies are well known) is an established returning veteran. Murphy definitely showed promise over the summer. Bakary would have to take a giant step forward (that's possible) to be anything more than decent right now. The team has only four guards and that as much as anything probably dictates a three forward lineup most of the time. It's nice to have two potentially starting caliber point guards and another (McBrayer) who purportedly has some point guard skills.

You make a good point. If they have injuries my claim of depth won't be true. My thought is that with a healthy squad they have a lot of parts that can be moved around and they can go 9 or 10 deep with good athletes that can run like Pitino wants to.

Top Bottom