Non Traditional Running Game Aspect to the O?

Ole

Reaction score
With all this O-line and runningback talk, I was thinking that some of the big plays in the running game might not even come directly from the runningbacks. I guess we don't know what Fisch has in store yet.
Granted Bennett,Whaley, Eskridge etc will get the up the gut, grind it out carries that are so important to an offense, but will there be more of an emphasis on end arounds, WR reverses, Qb sweeps or pass/run options?

I know the big highlight run from the spring game was Stoudemire breaking off a big reverse for a TD, and I would think Gray will have an impact running the ball, causing the D to respect the LOS more and play the pass a bit less. Misdirection and PA can definitely play into a running game as much as a classic off tackle or iso running play.

Any thoughts?

I don't have any inside info, but all I know is that your offense is in deep sh*t if you plan on running reverses, end arounds, etc. more than once or twice per game.

POUND THE ROCK!

Do that well then the rinky-dink stuff will be more effective.

I don't have any inside info, but all I know is that your offense is in deep sh*t if you plan on running reverses, end arounds, etc. more than once or twice per game.

Florida disagrees

Get stoudemire the ball in space. coming out of the slot, shovel passes, quick pitch. whatever. the kid is a playmaker.

oh yeah, and POUND THE ROCK!

I have been wondering if we aren't going to do some practice on defending the option before AFA comes to town.

If so, the offense (at least the scout offense) will have to put some work into learning the option. Once learned, couldn't we use the option ourselves from time to time throughout the season? IMO we have the personnel for it with either Weber or Gray taking the snap and choosing to pitch it to Stoudermire and/or Bennett.

This makes me think of Pittman depending on his health. If he is fully recovered he has serious implications lined up in a slot, to take a reverse, pass, drag for an option pitch, or pass the ball himself. Brewster was very high on him last preseason as a slashback type player and if he is back to health I think this wrinkle has to be considered despite the more traditional offense. And yes Florida would definitely disagree with not running end arounds and reverses more than a play or two a game :D

The biggest change I think you will see is the effect of man blocking over the course of a game. Compared to zone. Early in games, early in the year we had great success with zone blocking. But when push came to shove we couldn't convert 3rd and 3. And were less than confident 4 and 2.
Zone has no man assigned, there is contact, sliding, and passing a man down the line. It relys on team work, great footwork, and the ability of the back to find a crease inside or out. With the man scheme it is assignment blocking. You have a specific block, a specific assignment. Be drive, cutoff, trap, double team, etc. You are a hammer. If you have great line play, it takes great timing, teamwork, and back must hit The hole. Watch closely, how many times a back runs around the hole, it drives me crazy. A good clue to see this is watch the lineman's butt it will point the direction to run. You need running backs who can take it fearlessly up into the hole. You may get hit, but you will probably gain 3-5 yards initially. Sticking with run, and continuing to hammer, play smash mouth whatever you want to call it, takes discipline, determination, and trust. You hammer 35 to 40 times and I will guarantee those 3-5 yard runs will become 7-10 yard bursts in the 4th quarter. And what goes best with a power running game? Play Action Bombs. At least 1 per quarter. And when I say bomb, I am talking a throw of over 20 yards, preferably not a fade.

Now then if we are in the I the options are endless. But it begins by making the defense honor or protect the center of the field. Hoese is a huge part of this. I blast and isolation are huge. From this you have speed or triple option to either side. You have counter steps, counter option. And of course you have both deep and inside reverse. And reverse pass. But these are all progressions from the base offense. And should be used sparingly, if not in progression. If there was one thing the former Coach did, was he put on tape early oftern the opener, most often the first series the hand off, pitch back and post heave. That has no place in the opener. If you cannot beat a non conference opponent with your base offense, then you need to go back and practice, practice, practice.

In the spring game, they ran a play where Gray took the snap, handed off to Weber and ran a wheel route.

That play worked really well. I think they should run that play at least 10-12 times a game. Maybe Gray could even fake a handoff - really the possibilities are endless.

Opposing defenses won't know what to do when they lined up against so many explosive playmakers.

Florida disagrees

And yes Florida would definitely disagree with not running end arounds and reverses more than a play or two a game :D

When Brewster recruits the likes of Percy Harvin, Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey, Deonte Thompson, Louis Murphy, etc., then your point will be relevant.

Any one of those five is faster and more agile than anyone on our roster, and Urban had all of them (and more) at his disposal in 2008.

The biggest change I think you will see is the effect of man blocking over the course of a game. Compared to zone. Early in games, early in the year we had great success with zone blocking. But when push came to shove we couldn't convert 3rd and 3. And were less than confident 4 and 2.
Zone has no man assigned, there is contact, sliding, and passing a man down the line. It relys on team work, great footwork, and the ability of the back to find a crease inside or out. With the man scheme it is assignment blocking. You have a specific block, a specific assignment. Be drive, cutoff, trap, double team, etc. You are a hammer. If you have great line play, it takes great timing, teamwork, and back must hit The hole. Watch closely, how many times a back runs around the hole, it drives me crazy. A good clue to see this is watch the lineman's butt it will point the direction to run. You need running backs who can take it fearlessly up into the hole. You may get hit, but you will probably gain 3-5 yards initially. Sticking with run, and continuing to hammer, play smash mouth whatever you want to call it, takes discipline, determination, and trust. You hammer 35 to 40 times and I will guarantee those 3-5 yard runs will become 7-10 yard bursts in the 4th quarter. And what goes best with a power running game? Play Action Bombs. At least 1 per quarter. And when I say bomb, I am talking a throw of over 20 yards, preferably not a fade.

Now then if we are in the I the options are endless. But it begins by making the defense honor or protect the center of the field. Hoese is a huge part of this. I blast and isolation are huge. From this you have speed or triple option to either side. You have counter steps, counter option. And of course you have both deep and inside reverse. And reverse pass. But these are all progressions from the base offense. And should be used sparingly, if not in progression. If there was one thing the former Coach did, was he put on tape early oftern the opener, most often the first series the hand off, pitch back and post heave. That has no place in the opener. If you cannot beat a non conference opponent with your base offense, then you need to go back and practice, practice, practice.

Great post. Thank you Husker.

Top Bottom