Sid Hartman: Regents expected to approve U sports facilities plan next week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Look for the University of Minnesota Board of Regents to give their stamp of approval on a plan to build athletic facilities and upgrade others when they meet Oct. 8-9.

The project will cost more than $100 million. Close to $80 million has been raised for the project, a lot of it by Gophers football coach Jerry Kill. The balance will be raised by floating bonds that the administration might have to back, but will be paid for by revenue earned by the Gophers men’s and women’s athletic department. The full “athletics village” project has been projected to cost $190 million, but the actual total cost could be lower when new bids come in.

The plan will need the backing of University of Minnesota Vice President and Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer Richard Pfutzenreuter, who in the past has rejected some financial plans that would improve the facilities of the athletic department.

However, for once the university has a president in Eric Kaler who has proved he will go out of his way to make sure the Gophers athletes can compete with those at other schools.

In addition to approving the facilities package, the Board of Regents will vote in favor of building a Gophers baseball building. The money for that building, some $1.325 million, has been raised by baseball coach John Anderson and former Gophers players such as Paul Molitor, Glen Perkins, Dick McCullough and others. The building is to be erected on the land near the current baseball stadium and will cover 6,000 square feet.

As for the plans for the new and remodeled facilities, the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex and the Bierman Field Athletic Building will be remodeled. The football practice facility, men’s and women’s basketball practice facility, and academic structures all will be new and will include a new building housing all offices for football and the same for men’s and women’s basketball.

The coaches with the most to gain are Kill and the football staff, who I understand have been promised groundbreaking of the football facilities this fall, and both men’s and women’s basketball coaches.

http://www.startribune.com/u-of-m-r...acilities-plan-in-oct-8-9-meetings/330199891/

Go Gophers!!

looks like sid was right. last year when he reported we'd break ground before December he was right! unless he meant last December.

I knew all along that Sid would be right............................eventually.:rolleyes:

Listening to Doogie and his 'Scoops' today on espn1500. Something about a soon to be announced major donation for the basketball practice facility.

That's all I know.....hope I got it right.

Listening to Doogie and his 'Scoops' today on espn1500. Something about a soon to be announced major donation for the basketball practice facility.

That's all I know.....hope I got it right.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Shama:

Gophers interim athletic director Beth Goetz told Sports Headliners the University of Minnesota Board of Regents will be presented the final design and plan details next week for the proposed $190 million athletic facilities project. “We feel good about where we are with that presentation and are hopeful we will get approval,” Goetz said.

Approval could come next Thursday as the regents gather for two days to review University matters. The project will include an Athletes Village to benefit the more than 700 Gopher athletes, and new practice facilities for the football and basketball teams. Goetz said groundbreaking details could be announced next week.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I never thought this would get done. Looks like Jerry Kill coming to the "U" was a game changer.

Top Bottom