ESPN: NCAA bans SMU from 2016 postseason, Larry Brown for nine games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per ESPN:

The NCAA has banned SMU from 2016 postseason play and has suspended Larry Brown for 30 percent of the team's games this season because of a lack of head coach control, a source close to the situation said.

The 30 percent ban for Brown means he will miss nine games total. The school also will be hit with nine scholarship losses over the next three years, a source said, although it was two below the limit this past season so can count those toward the nine. SMU also has been placed on three years' probation.

This marks the third time a Brown-coached program has been sanctioned by the NCAA, with the others happening at Kansas and UCLA.

Part of the investigation at SMU stemmed from whether a former basketball administrator and ex-assistant coach Ulric Maligi helped Keith Frazier to become eligible to play there, a source previously told ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...on-suspends-larry-brown-10-percent-team-games

Go Gophers!

Seems like a quick and fair investigation/punishment. Why is it taking so long for UNC which was 100 times worse?

I always admired Larry Brown, especially at the pro level, for how he could raise the performances of struggling teams. Sorry to hear that he muffed his re-entry into the college ranks and blew his chance for a career revival. I expect that he departs SMU before too long and this will be the last stop of his accomplished but checkered career.

Seth Davis tweet

Agree with Davis 100% on this one. What Brown did is far worse than what Bruce Pearl did. Pearl's mistake -- yes, I know he's no saint -- was lying to the NCAA about something that was really pretty minor, but did he really deserve that long of a show-cause? And Brown, a golly-gee-aw-shucks habitual cheater, only gets 9 games?

https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/648905906508460033

Agreed.

Now, about UNC SS........

BB, I think we're both anxious to hear about that one, as are a lot of (non-Carolina) fans across the country. It's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

At the very minimum UNC should receive a 1-year postseason ban (preferably this season). I doubt UNC will self-impose a postseason ban for the 2015-16 season because they know they have the goods to win it all, so if they don't self-impose for 2015-16 the NCAA needs to do it for them. Scholarship reductions & coach suspensions mean nothing to me if there's no postseason ban to go along with it.

Brown reminds me of Tarkanian. Good coaches, but willing to cut corners. How long before Calipari gets caught?

Like a few others, gotta wonder how UNC is avoiding the hammer.

Brown reminds me of Tarkanian. Good coaches, but willing to cut corners. How long before Calipari gets caught?

Like a few others, gotta wonder how UNC is avoiding the hammer.

Never, because he's at Kentucky now. As others stated, the NCAA is a fraud and will punish SMU, Memphis, UMass, but not the blue bloods - UNC, Kentucky.

Good for her. She's one of the best college basketball writers out there, along with Mike DeCourcy.

Right about now I'd like to hear what Good Ole' Roy has to say about his Carolina friend Larry Brown.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...all-coach-larry-brown-gets-punished-yet-again

Nice column. "Detritus" had me pulling out Webster's. At some point, she needs to do a UNC analysis too. Maybe we can get Myron on the case as well. Then we'll know ESPN is taking it real seriously.

Nice column. "Detritus" had me pulling out Webster's. At some point, she needs to do a UNC analysis too. Maybe we can get Myron on the case as well. Then we'll know ESPN is taking it real seriously.

The only thing Myron would do anything is if is something bad happens to the Gophers.

Never, because he's at Kentucky now. As others stated, the NCAA is a fraud and will punish SMU, Memphis, UMass, but not the blue bloods - UNC, Kentucky.

Syracuse got a very similar to penalty to SMU.

Kentucky got nailed in the late 80s which led to Eddie Sutton resigning - three years probation, two year postseason ban - and eventually leading Pitino there.

Kansas another blueblood that received a postseason ban. NCAA punished them for Brown's previous misdeeds. It's a myth that bluebloods don't get punished. Michigan is another one. They got hit pretty hard post Fab 5. Ohio State not quite a hoops blueblood but got postseason ban after O'Brien era. Myth.

The North Carolina decision will have everyone's attention, certainly.

UConn, owner of multiple national titles, was banned just 1 season ago because of poor academic performance/progress. Another example.

BB, I think we're both anxious to hear about that one, as are a lot of (non-Carolina) fans across the country. It's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

At the very minimum UNC should receive a 1-year postseason ban (preferably this season). I doubt UNC will self-impose a postseason ban for the 2015-16 season because they know they have the goods to win it all, so if they don't self-impose for 2015-16 the NCAA needs to do it for them. Scholarship reductions & coach suspensions mean nothing to me if there's no postseason ban to go along with it.

Anxious, yes. Expecting ncaa to be consistent? Not a chance.

UNC cheating appears to be far, far worse than anything we have seen. Penalties should align with the crime.

Multiple year post season ban, loss of scholarships, recruiting restrictions, all of it should be assessed.

I don't have a good feeling about the UNC situation, but if the NCAA in fact fails to hand out appropriate sanctions that case, it will raise serious questions in my mind as to its integrity and credibility.

Kansas another blueblood that received a postseason ban. NCAA punished them for Brown's previous misdeeds. It's a myth that bluebloods don't get punished. Michigan is another one. They got hit pretty hard post Fab 5. Ohio State not quite a hoops blueblood but got postseason ban after O'Brien era. Myth.

The North Carolina decision will have everyone's attention, certainly.

When I think college basketball blue bloods I think of these teams: Duke, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA

You have a point on Kansas/Kentucky but that was the late 80s, almost 30 years ago. Indiana obviously was slammed with the Kelvin Sampson violations, but you could also argue they haven't deserved blue blood status since Bob Knight left.

Multiple year post season ban. ...

Agreed. This is the main one I'd like to see. ... postseason ban for this season and 2016-17. Taking NCAA Tournament carrot out of the equation is the penalty with the most bite.

Agreed. This is the main one I'd like to see. ... postseason ban for this season and 2016-17. Taking NCAA Tournament carrot out of the equation is the penalty with the most bite.

I'd like to see it destroy at least one recruiting cycle, too. Too often the post season bans are pretty late in the game and don;t affect recruiting. If they announced now for 2016-2017, it would hammer their recruiting at least one and maybe two cycles.

I'd like to see it destroy at least one recruiting cycle, too. Too often the post season bans are pretty late in the game and don;t affect recruiting. If they announced now for 2016-2017, it would hammer their recruiting at least one and maybe two cycles.

Yes.......

Top Bottom