Athlons: Ranking the Big Ten Basketball Coaches for 2015-16 (#11. Richard Pitino)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlons:

11. Richard Pitino, Minnesota
Record at Minnesota: 43-28, 14-22 Big Ten
NCAA record: 0-0
Number to note: Of Minnesota’s 13 Big Ten losses last season (including the tournament), nine were by six points or fewer.
Why he’s ranked here: Last year’s 18-15 campaign has dimmed some of the optimism around Pitino. His name has come up around other jobs, but he has yet to prove he can win with the one he has.

http://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/ranking-big-ten-basketball-coaches-2015-16

Go Gophers!!

1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State
2. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin
3. John Beilein, Michigan
4. Thad Matta, Ohio State
5. Mark Turgeon, Maryland
6. Fran McCaffery, Iowa
7. Tom Crean, Indiana
8. Matt Painter, Purdue
9. Tim Miles, Nebraska
10. John Groce, Illinois
12. Chris Collins, Northwestern
13. Patrick Chambers, Penn State
14. Eddie Jordan, Rutgers

Here is the entire list from the article. Not sure I agree with the order. Groce, Miles, and Mcaffrey seem overrated.

But then again I've always said no one could do less with more than Dean Smith at North Carolina.

Top 3

1. Tom Izzo, Michigan State
2. Bo Ryan, Wisconsin
3. John Beilein, Michigan
4. Thad Matta, Ohio State
5. Mark Turgeon, Maryland
6. Fran McCaffery, Iowa
7. Tom Crean, Indiana
8. Matt Painter, Purdue
9. Tim Miles, Nebraska
10. John Groce, Illinois
12. Chris Collins, Northwestern
13. Patrick Chambers, Penn State
14. Eddie Jordan, Rutgers

Here is the entire list from the article. Not sure I agree with the order. Groce, Miles, and Mcaffrey seem overrated.

But then again I've always said no one could do less than more than Dean Smith at North Carolina.

I don't think anybody would argue with the top 3...depending on the day we might all scramble the 1,2,3 positions but those are clearly the top 3 coaches to me. It's impossible to predict the future but with Coffey, Curry, and Hurt added to the present nucleus I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to see Pitino at number 4 sometime soon? There is no way in the whole wide world, that out of those 14 guys, I hire Pitino in the 11th slot given those choices. Definitely higher for me, even today. Pitino and Collins are at a distinct disadvantage because their track record is shorter but we also somewhat know the ceiling of some of the more experienced coaches.

I don't think anybody would argue with the top 3...depending on the day we might all scramble the 1,2,3 positions but those are clearly the top 3 coaches to me. It's impossible to predict the future but with Coffey, Curry, and Hurt added to the present nucleus I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility to see Pitino at number 4 sometime soon? There is no way in the whole wide world, that out of those 14 guys, I hire Pitino in the 11th slot given those choices. Definitely higher for me, even today. Pitino and Collins are at a distinct disadvantage because their track record is shorter but we also somewhat know the ceiling of some of the more experienced coaches.

I think the ranking is pretty accurate right now. The guys ahead of him have all accomplished more as a head coach. Groce has a S16 appearance with Ohio. Tim Miles has made the tourney 2 out of the last 4 years.

I don't think it would take a lot for Pitino to move up, but right now I think it is hard to argue he should be higher at this point.

4????!? No way will he be #4 on this list. Even if he wins the national championship next year he would still require some conversation.

I agree with this list, except i'd switch McCaffery and Painter around.

I think the ranking is pretty accurate right now. The guys ahead of him have all accomplished more as a head coach. Groce has a S16 appearance with Ohio. Tim Miles has made the tourney 2 out of the last 4 years.

I don't think it would take a lot for Pitino to move up, but right now I think it is hard to argue he should be higher at this point.

+1

Richard is finding out what the big time looks like from the perspective of a head coach, and that's a good thing. After leaving here, Tubby remarked how difficult it is going up against top-shelf coaches every game. The Big Ten is a meat grinder.

Richard is finding out what the big time looks like from the perspective of a head coach, and that's a good thing. After leaving here, Tubby remarked how difficult it is going up against top-shelf coaches every game. The Big Ten is a meat grinder.

+1

Crean is one of the worst coaches I've ever seen.

That was the biggest error I saw with the list too. Looks like it was just a ranking of career accomplishments.

Not sure how a guy who's likely to be fired very soon could be the 7th best coach in the conference.

Top Bottom