Gophers Commit Eric Curry Described by Coach as a Great Teammate With Strong Upside

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
New Gophers Commit Eric Curry Described by Coach as a Great Teammate With Strong Upside
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/557052?referrer_id=

Eric Curry, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound senior forward from Little Rock (AK) Southwest Christian Academy, announced that he will attend Minnesota Wednesday morning. Curry visited Minnesota September 3rd for the TCU-Minnesota football game along with Amir Coffey of Hopkins, who committed Monday.

Curry averaged 15.4 points and 8.6 rebounds per game as a junior for Southwest Christian Academy last season. The school plays as an independent with a national schedule that includes powerhouses like Oak Hill Academy of Virginia, Huntington Prep from West Virginia.

Curry played for the Arkansas Wings in the Nike EYBL circuit, leading them to a 12-5 mark. He averaged 10.1 points, second on the team and a team-best 6.6 rebounds per game. Curry shot 52.9% from the field and 76.2% from the line.

Curry is considered a three-star recruit by ESPN and Rivals and a four-star by Scout.

Arkansas Wings head man Ron Crawford feels that Minnesota got an excellent addition.

"Minnesota gets a very solid player with strong up side. He is a good student and a great teammate."

Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino did an outstanding job of recruiting Curry and his mother, Audrea Phipps, who became a Twitter favorite that many basketball fans began following during the recruiting process.

"Mother Audrea Phipps is truly dedicated to her kids, she organized and supervised the recruiting process. Coach Pitino and his staff did a great job recruiting and connecting with Eric and His Mother."

Amir Coffey, who committed Monday, told KSTP that he had been working on getting Curry to join him at Minnesota.

"We talked a lot with the players and the coaches. I am going to give him a call after I get home. I do like their chances. He told me that he likes it a lot. He took three or four other visits, but I have been in his ear ever since I made my decision, so I do like the Gophers' chances."

Curry is the third commitment to join Minnesota along with Curry and forward Michael Hurt of Rochester John Marshall.

This most likely signals the end of the Gophers' recruiting for the Class of 2016. Minnesota will lose seniors Joey King and Carlos Morris to graduation after the 2015-16 season. Jarvis Johnson, a 6-foot-1 guard from Minneapolis (MN) DeLaSalle, will sit out the upcoming season, due to a heart condition and his future is uncertain.

6-foot-9 Reed Nikko, a 2016 big man from Maple Grove, received an offer from Minnesota this summer and many Gopher fans expected him to commit shortly afterwards. However, it looks like the two sides will go separate ways and Nikko has an official visit planned to Kansas State October 10th.

Sounds like we are blessed to have Eric Curry play for the Gophers...or at least that's how I feel.

Excited about the height (just can't joins the talking heads who use "length" to try to sound cool) and athleticism joining this team. A few years back we had a bunch of guards 6'-0"- 6'4" and some 6'10" or taller. We seem to be adding wings and forwards that have been missing. I expect a lot of roster versatility.

Excited about the height (just can't joins the talking heads who use "length" to try to sound cool) and athleticism joining this team. A few years back we had a bunch of guards 6'-0"- 6'4" and some 6'10" or taller. We seem to be adding wings and forwards that have been missing. I expect a lot of roster versatility.
I agree - it will be amazing to have the height in these positions.

Wingspan and reach are more important than height. This is what people are referring to when they say length. Not just a different word for height.

Wingspan and reach are more important than height. This is what people are referring to when they say length. Not just a different word for height.

Yes, but people throw that BS around for players without wingspan/reach all the time. After McNeil was long gone and the season turned sour I recall some article referencing that we lost a "Lengthy 6'-3" guard"... That woman beater was anything but long.

Yes, but people throw that BS around for players without wingspan/reach all the time. After McNeil was long gone and the season turned sour I recall some article referencing that we lost a "Lengthy 6'-3" guard"... That woman beater was anything but long.

Some people use words improperly, doesn't make it a stupid word. I think long is a logical way of describing a player with long arms for his height. Maybe that's just me. To each his own, I guess.

Some people use words improperly, doesn't make it a stupid word. I think long is a logical way of describing a player with long arms for his height. Maybe that's just me. To each his own, I guess.

I agree that long arms for a given height could benefit from the "length" descriptor. The thing is that most posters (and even sports "journalists") have no idea if a player does, in fact, have long arms. The see a height listing and describe that as "length" even if the player truly has T-Rex arms. It's so over-used it's a meaningless word typically used as jargon to sound like a know-it-all.

When I veg-out on the couch or when I hit the sack, I'm all about length. When I stand up...we're talking height.

Mom Curry: just FYI - this is the kind of deterioration of insight you can expect on the gopherhole...

Super excited to have Eric aboard. This season will be challenging as we will be young and not very deep. But the following year the Gophers will begin what will become an annual deep run in the NCCA tournament.

I agree that long arms for a given height could benefit from the "length" descriptor. The thing is that most posters (and even sports "journalists") have no idea if a player does, in fact, have long arms. The see a height listing and describe that as "length" even if the player truly has T-Rex arms. It's so over-used it's a meaningless word typically used as jargon to sound like a know-it-all.

Length is usually used (or at least I think it should be used) to describe effective use of size away from the basket, where a player's arms aren't always vertical. Length, as I read it, is the disruption of passing lanes and potentially clogging up driving lanes while in a perimeter zone. A player doesn't use his vertical dimension (height) when his is sticking out his arms horizontally (length) to make a play. It's a trendy word, but it doesn't make it meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom