Analysis of Darnell Kirkwood

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from SuperPrep.com:

Darnell Kirkwood recently committed to Minnesota so lets take a closer look at what he's like as a prospect.

What to like: Kirkwood emerged as one of the leading runners in south Florida last season. He plays against some of the best competition in the state, week in and week out. And he ran hard, finishing the season with over 1,000 yards. He gets it done when it counts the most -- on Friday nights. He's a gamer who's producing at the highest prep level. He runs pretty well, too. While he might not be a 4.3 kid, he outran the entire opposing defense on several occasions last season so you know he'll bring a lot of speed to the table.

What may concern you: While they're trying to always add more speed to the mix, the Big 10 has always been known as a power running conference. At 5-foot-9 and 180 pounds, Kirkwood doesn't have ideal size to run out of the power I and so he'll probably need to bulk up some before being able to effectively run between the tackles at the Big 10 level. He also doesn't have much experience catching the ball from the backfield so that'll be something to watch this fall, especially since he seems to have the hands and playmaking ability to do it.

Bottom Line: Minnesota's getting a very productive player from one of the top prep programs in the state of Florida. That's a huge pickup no matter how you slice it. He's a gamer, too, and knows when those lights go on. He should be one of the fastest kids in their entire recruiting class this year.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=878705

Go Gophers!!

A case of premutre adjudication....

per this update from SuperPrep.com:

"He should be one of the fastest kids in their entire recruiting class this year."

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=878705

Go Gophers!!

How can they possibly make this claim In July? Does Superpreps have a crystal ball? This is what drives me insane about these recruiting sites. Wild-A*& claims with no way to support them, and a star system bassed on who recruits them versus actual talent.
Bleedgopher, this in no way is meant to reflect upon you, I just wanted to give proper documentation.
I also did not post this in an attempt to stir up the inevitable star system debate, which will be forth coming if Gjere is not moved up to a 5-star at some point, just my observations .

Top Bottom