What I won't miss

Reaction score
Things I won't miss at the Dome.
The only bar near the Dome (Huberts) being completely full of Buckeye or Hawkeye fans.
Being told to sit down by the Gopher fans 3 rows behind us so they can watch the game. (They might make the trip to the new stadium, but hopefully sit nowhere near us.)
The gold plastic banners hung all over to "honor" our championship teams.
Metrodome vendors telling me the Gophers suck.
Empty blue seats.

Things I won't miss:

The dome dog. I hope they don't bring it back under a different name.
The dull grey light from the roof on a wonderful fall afternoon.
The band being muffles by roof echoes.
Being rescheduled around Twins games
Cheap plastic banners

The Dome dog is about all that was good about the dome - agreed

I won't miss the feeling that the gophers were just another event among many.

I will miss the feeling that everyone was trying to make the best of a bad situation. I hope the fans appreciate the splendid new gopher stadium.

I won't miss the generic feel.
I won't miss watching the band after a game, while workers in the background brought down velcro banners.
I won't miss tiny concourses.
I won't miss the feeling that this wasn't a home stadium.
I won't miss the bad parking situtation.
I won't miss being off campus.
I won't miss being twice the distance in a straight line to Coffman.
I won't miss students needing to bus to the stadium.

I won't miss drunk Hawkeyes fans sitting next to me, puking
I won't miss the sound from the band being echoed and drowned out by the teflon
I won't miss the tiny scoreboards
I won't miss the blue seats
I won't miss the staleness
I won't miss the lack of bars around the stadium
I won't miss the lack of a college feel.
I won't miss the lack of students in the student section.
I won't miss all the Hawkeyes and Badgers fans crowding up the light rail on the way to the dump.
I won't miss not tailgating for three ours before the game
I will miss the dome dogs, but I can still get one at the Vikings games.
I will miss having a Summit Extra Pale Ale during the game
I will still miss the band marching down University

Won't miss:

Being surrounded by concrete and plastic
Depressing lighting
Horrible sound
Cramped concourses
Terrible endzone and logo painting
Not enjoying the sun on nice days and not being able to welcome the rain the way football should be.
Being razzed by opposing fans about a crappy stadium
Not being on campus
Iowa/Wisconsin games

Will Miss:
Dome dog
Light rail connectivity

I'm not even gonna get started on this one.....:)

I won't miss the make shift sidelines and funky endzones.
Being third among equals.
Thursday Night Games
All those blue seats
Blue and Concrete, now thats an energizing combination.
That awful stale light
The echos
I wonder when I will no longer have nightmares about that place.

Won't miss:

Being surrounded by concrete and plastic
Depressing lighting
Horrible sound
Cramped concourses
Terrible endzone and logo painting
Not enjoying the sun on nice days and not being able to welcome the rain the way football should be.
Being razzed by opposing fans about a crappy stadium
Not being on campus
Iowa/Wisconsin games

Will Miss:
Dome dog
Light rail connectivity

Agreed! Iowa/Wisconsin games were always circled on my calendar but I always knew it'd be a stressful day of having to deal with 15-25k opposing fans making equal noise to the 40-50k Gopher fans because the oldtimers refuse to cheer.

What I will miss from the dome is the people I sat next to. I sat next to the same couple for the past 10 years but they travel a lot in the offseason so I couldn't connect with them and arrange to sit together anymore. :( I'll miss them dearly but I'm sure I'll find some good people in section 212.

I am really looking forward to having light rail back.

On the plus side, you get this back in a few years. ;)

Will not miss: Huge swastika over field.
The fact that scoreboards were small and in terrible locations.
The worst sound system ever.
Plastic seats not lined up with field for any sport.
The banners that looked like they were a last second afterthought.

Will miss: The Dome dogs, I did like those and the Old Dutch chips that came with them.
Having the Summit Beer and Beers of the World stands next to each other, but not the prices.
I had buying two beers at a time down to an art form.
The fact that my Father didn't live long enough to see Gopher Football returned to Campus. He worked as a Boy Scout with a fishing net, trying to keep the ball out of the parking lot when he was a teen during the late 40's and early 50's, and had a chance to walk on in the mid 50's, but hurt his knee and went to work instead. My love of Gopher football comes from him. He passed in January.

Won't miss:
- The crush of students entering on the upper level and walking through the concourse to get downstairs
- The overflow vendors set up in the concourse, narrowing the already narrow concourse
- Most of the stadium art dedicated to the Twins and Vikings
- Inadequate bathrooms without TV monitors (do they have these in TCF? I think Best Buy would pay for them for some signage)
- Losing EVERY home game to Michigan and Ohio State
Will miss:
- Having a Summit while I watch the game

Well, the Dome Dog is large. I will give it that. I just think it would be better if it was actually good.

I've said this elsewhere on GH but to contribute to this thread:

I will miss:
Dome Dog (like it a lot)
Having a beer at the game
bare midrifts on cheerleaders at November games

Glad to say goodbye to...
Drunken throngs of Iowconsin fans
cheap plastic sinage
echo filled-band music destroying interior
Tiny concourses
BLUE seats
empty seats
empty BLUE seats
empty student section by midway through the 3rd quarter
open dirt patches left on the field when quick changeovers from baseball were necessary
quick and simple field painting
Baseball or Viking themed sinage, or exterior food vendors
Disconnect from Alumni who had no nostalgia to look forward to being off of campus on game day (I'm not even a UofM alumni but I know how that must have sucked, and cut down on attendance)

Dome Dogs

I give an enthusiastic thumbs up to the Dome Dog, especially the onions, kraut, and relish stand by the doors.
The only other thing I will miss at the Dome is Huberts, which is alot of fun when it is not full of the other teams fans.

The Dome Dog was not good. The bun was always dried out and crumbly. The regular dog was usually much better because the bun was steamed. The Dome Dog bun always came right out of the bag. But you did get chips.

I would think TCF Stadium could do much better.

Having to process images in a 40 x 10 foot "cave" under the seats with 25 other people and three powerstrips with room for only 18 plugs.

The Dome Dog requires you to put on all the condiments to cover the taste - or to give it some taste. And the bun is dry. I usually got the bratwurst.

I took my dad to a basketball game at NDSU, they had a fantastic hot dog. I didn't feel like standing in line so I ate it without condiments. It was still really, really good.

THe absolute #1 thing I won't miss is:
- 10,000 Badgers, Hawkeyes or NDSU Bison fans!

I absolutely hated going into those games and I'm sure that the players hated that as well.

Yes I have.

Ever been to Mariucci?? The dome is way better than mariucci.
I've been to Mariucci, both new and old, and I still stand by my statement. The dome was way worse. I could make things out at Mariucci, the dome is just white noise.

I've been to Mariucci, both new and old, and I still stand by my statement. The dome was way worse. I could make things out at Mariucci, the dome is just white noise.

I agree. The Metrodome sucks regardless of where you sit, Mariucci has its bad spots and good spots. I've never had trouble with the sound system at Mariucci when I sit in my family's seats.

i'm talking about the new mariucci, never been to the old one
the reason i brought up mariucci, is because this past year, there were three incidents where the 'intermission interview' (a taped recording of a short q and a with one of the players) started so loud that people seriously covered their ears and dove for the ground. then they couldnt stabilize the volume.
Twice, there was a feedback screech so loud that im sure some of those super old people gopher fans (bless their never standing, really quiet hearts) had minor strokes.
And i have no idea about the saturday home games, because i only have friday tickets.

The microphone part of the system is fine, it's the taped commercials and such, as well as the piped in music. The band plays about 97% of the music there, which is great, and i hope translates to the football stadium.

To get back on point for the thread:

I won't miss going inside to watch the game.....no matter what mother nature has in store!

:clap:

What I will miss: My seats. I will take a hit with the new stadium seats. I'm not complaining mind you, but I did move from the 37 yard line to the 25.

What I won't miss: Everything else. The Dome is a horrible place period. I will never go back under any circumstances.

The dome does have one thing going for it, it allows Gopher baseball games to be played at home early in the season. But it's an awfully sterile environment, especially when there's only a couple thousand at best in the stadium.

Above anything else, I won't miss hearing the UW fight song when their band isn't even there to play it.

Top Bottom