Hayo Carpenter is on his way with transcripts in hand!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this blog update from Marcus:

Star JC receiver on his way?
By Marcus Fuller on July 10, 2009

Gophers fans have been eagerly waiting for the arrival of the team's top incoming recruit, Hayo Carpenter, a junior college All-American wide receiver.

Carpenter's coach at the College of the Canyons, Garrett Tujague, said today Carpenter should be in the Twin Cities very soon. I told him people here will be excited when he finally makes it to campus. His response was, "I'm sure."

"He's on his way, (junior college) transcripts in hand," said Tujague, who watched Carpenter break all but one of the school's receiving records with 3,079 yards and 28 touchdowns on 173 receptions.

Tujague said when summer school started that Carpenter was "good to go," so I was a bit surprised it took him this long to get to Minnesota. It's not unusual though. Former junior college standout and current Gophers starting cornerback Traye Simmons didn't make it here until the fall.

If Carpenter arrives this summer, the only 2009 recruits left to join the team will be Houston Cypress Ridge running back Hasan Lipscomb, Fergus Falls (Minn.) offensive lineman Josh Campion, South Grand Prairie (Texas) defensive tackle Joey Searcy. Obviously, Lipscomb is the most anticipated of the three, because he is sure to compete for carries at tailback with redshirt sophomore Duane Bennett. Campion and Searcy likely would redshirt.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/07/star-junior-college-wr-on-his.html

Go Gophers!!

where is Lipscomb, wouldn't the coaches pretty much make him be there (with everyone else) if he could? whats the hold up?

All along there has been talk about complicated issues with Lipscomb's transcripts (not really grade related though). I believe they stemmed from his family moving around alot because of Hurricane Katrina. I imagine its just a complicated process to nail down all of those issues prior to admission.

What is the delay with Searcy? I understand Campion's back issues and can appreciate Lipscombs continued moving situation.

The Lipscomb thing is a bit bothersome as he verballed 14 months ago. One would think that Brewster & Co would have been proactive and on top of the transcript issues knowing that both the UM and the Clearinghouse would be looking closely. Getting a transcript should be a quick process now days. Me thinks its all about required core classes. Just a guess. Prep school maybe? or JUCO?

The Lipscomb thing is a bit bothersome as he verballed 14 months ago. One would think that Brewster & Co would have been proactive and on top of the transcript issues knowing that both the UM and the Clearinghouse would be looking closely. Getting a transcript should be a quick process now days. Me thinks its all about required core classes. Just a guess. Prep school maybe? or JUCO?

You are assuming the records are readily available. He moved because of a hurricane. It is possible part of the deal is reconstructing lost or missing records. I remember part of the reason Lipscomb committed in the first place was that we were going to help him through the process. It didn't sound like it was going to be easy.

There is always a finger pointed at the NCAA Clearing House, and hardly ever at the U of M admissions offfice. You cannot tell me certain programs have the recuring Clearing House/Admission problems we have had and do have. There has to be either a person in the athletic department or a liason assigned to the players the coaches are recruiting. Letting a recruit know the requirements and what the U can do for them. Think back to how shabbley the NCAA and U handled one Thomas Tapeh. His scores on the verbal ACT were not to their liking.

On a second front, I remembr posting what a benefit it would be for a High School senior to graduate and enroll immediately. If he could graduate in January all the better. In that earlier incarnation I was laughed at with comments about a senior should take the summer off to be with friends and party. But that was then. Now if you are not enrolled during the summer you are at risk.

Campion and Rangel are taking basically a medical year now known as a grayshirt. It holds the clock till they enroll and they have 5 years. Don't get me started on medical red shirts. Too many Gophers were injured, lost a year and they, the staff, or University did nothing to help filing the paperwork for the added year. Two players who come to mind were Ryan Roth, he of the greatest block I have ever seen, and Jimmy Wyrick.

So, who is the liason or person assigned to the team for these eligiblity issues?

Agree, This Has Been a Problem in the Past

There is always a finger pointed at the NCAA Clearing House, and hardly ever at the U of M admissions offfice. You cannot tell me certain programs have the recuring Clearing House/Admission problems we have had and do have. There has to be either a person in the athletic department or a liason assigned to the players the coaches are recruiting. Letting a recruit know the requirements and what the U can do for them. Think back to how shabbley the NCAA and U handled one Thomas Tapeh. His scores on the verbal ACT were not to their liking.

On a second front, I remembr posting what a benefit it would be for a High School senior to graduate and enroll immediately. If he could graduate in January all the better. In that earlier incarnation I was laughed at with comments about a senior should take the summer off to be with friends and party. But that was then. Now if you are not enrolled during the summer you are at risk.

Campion and Rangel are taking basically a medical year now known as a grayshirt. It holds the clock till they enroll and they have 5 years. Don't get me started on medical red shirts. Too many Gophers were injured, lost a year and they, the staff, or University did nothing to help filing the paperwork for the added year. Two players who come to mind were Ryan Roth, he of the greatest block I have ever seen, and Jimmy Wyrick.

So, who is the liason or person assigned to the team for these eligiblity issues?

You are absolutely right on this one. The administrivia of gray shirting, medical red shirting and enrollment/HS transcript reconciliation has been handled poorly in the past. My impression is that Brewster is doing a pretty good job of managing this stuff. Just because we hear nothing about what is going on with particular players/recruits, nor should we based on student privacy, does not mean things are not progressing. You don't hear publicly about arguments with admissions. That is a good sign. My gut feel is Brewster and company work this stuff well.

Right on. This is D1, BCS conference football. No guy on the team has anywhere more important to be over the summer than in Minneapolis working out with their teammates and taking a few classes. It is a huge red-flag if they are doing anything else.

It's not like this is some college town out in the sticks that shuts down in the summer.

it does seem like Coach Brew gets these guys here ASAP, which is good.
Alot of good offseason work can be done in the summer, and it does seem like guys who workout together gain the all important chemistry factor all great teams need.( See for example, Weber to Decker, and actually Weber to Bennett was clicking great before the injury last year.)

Right on. This is D1, BCS conference football. No guy on the team has anywhere more important to be over the summer than in Minneapolis working out with their teammates and taking a few classes. It is a huge red-flag if they are doing anything else.

It's not like this is some college town out in the sticks that shuts down in the summer.

This is Division I football. IT AIN'T INTRAMURALS!:D

Top Bottom