Column on politics/new stadium

If you are really concerned about what people in Oregon and Vermont think you would not be a Gopher football fan.

In case anybody was wondering, I have been a Gopher football fan and going to games since the last time they one a Big 10 Championship. How long have each of you been a fan?

In case anybody was wondering, I have been a Gopher football fan and going to games since the last time they one a Big 10 Championship. How long have each of you been a fan?

What does the length of time you've been a fan have anything to do with your assertion that caring about the U's national rep means you aren't a Gopher fan?

As for how long I've been a fan...as long as I can remember since I grew up in Detroit Lakes. I moved from supportive to extremely passionate about the Gophers once I got to college and had an opportunity to actually go to games.

Does the fact that you are significantly older than me (I'm only 26) and thus a fan for much longer mean I'm not a true Gopher fan as well?

Dude, enough. We get it. You want alcohol in the stadium. Seriously - 9 out of 10 posts you make on this board are related to this issue.

It's not that your stance is wrong. This is certainly a polarizing issue, and one that has plenty of advocates on both sides.

It's just that your arguments make no sense. Usually, when someone feels so strongly about something, they advance coherent, logical points in favor of their stance. On the other hand, every single post you've made regarding this topic is either horribly misinformed, factually incorrect, or just plain stupid.

The next post you make on this topic that is of any positive value whatsoever will be your first. Perhaps, at that point, someone will consider your posts something more than mindless drivel.

It's not the same. The DECC is essentially the same as the Metrodome. It's not on University property and not owned by the University but happens to have a college team playing there. You were able to drink for the above reasons at the Dome. And people at the DECC can and will do the same.

but, that was not the point i was making. i am not focusing on the on-campus/off-campus portion of the alcohol debate. as i noted above rep. garofalo (r-farmington) said the MAIN reason the legislature forced there way into U of M alcohol policy was because of the state money the school used for parts of the TCF stadium construction costs. the new DECC/UMD facility, st. cloud state's national hockey center renovation and the new hockey facility at bemidji state are all also receipients of state funding.

what i am saying is if rep. garofalo and the other legislators who messed in the U of M's alcohol license main reason (as stated by rep. garofalo himself in an email to me) was because the U of M received state money THEN that same logic should apply to these other sports facilities (again on-campus/off-campus is not what i am talking about here) which plan on a policy of only selling alcohol (within the stadium confines) in premium seating areas, the DECC/UMD hockey facility being one of them. just asking for the legislators to apply their flawed logic fairly across all projects receiving state funds and to not single out the U of M for the sake of more minneapolis media coverage.

In the past eight years, instances I've seen would be in the double digits. Majority would be students, but a few older Wisconsin fans come to mind.

I'm guessing the Iowa mom in the bathroom would be considered "falling down drunk". That only made national headlines.

The overall point of my post is that there have been no lawsuits arising out of underage alcohol consumption during a Gopher FB game. Accordingly, the potential for a lawsuit as a basis for not selling alcohol is not a sound argument. IMO.

With respect to the drunk Iowa mom, I understand they were both standing when they were caught in the act. So I would say that she was NOT falling down drunk.

The overall point of my post is that there have been no lawsuits arising out of underage alcohol consumption during a Gopher FB game. Accordingly, the potential for a lawsuit as a basis for not selling alcohol is not a sound argument. IMO.

I haven't seen too many people advancing an argument re: economic liability. If they have, that is rather tenuous, as you have stated above. It is more an issue of maintaining the academic and athletic intregrity of the school. Again, how would it look if even one student died or was seriously injured as a result of alcohol that was purchased from the University? It's less an issue of underage consumption, as in my opinion, even of-age students should not be able to purchase alcohol from the institution of higher learning that they attend.

With respect to the drunk Iowa mom, I understand they were both standing when they were caught in the act. So I would say that she was NOT falling down drunk.

Like I said, she wasn't falling down drunk...she was bent over drunk.

Top Bottom