All Things McKinley Wright Recruiting Thread

I wonder how many pieces there were, because we only had two scholarships for the 2017 class in the fall, which went to Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris, then a third opened up in the spring when Ahmad Gilbert transferred out, which went to Matz Stockman. Would it have just been McKinley Wright and Theo John? We just wouldn’t have had the scholarships available for Wright to bring a bunch of guys with him. Unless he means like he would have had pull with the 2018 and 2019 classes to bring some of them in, but 2018 was the year we actually got 3 guys from Minnesota. Race Thompson instead of Jarvis Omersa would have probably worked out better for us, but Thompson reclassified to 2017, so idk if we could have swung that anyway, and I thought the staff maybe just preferred Omersa.

I’ve been wrong before. I’ll be wrong again… but I didn’t lose a wink of sleep over what a High School kid decides.

Good strategy. With every recruit, there are three possibilities:

1) He doesn't commit here;

2) He commits here and he is a good player;

3) He commits here but he's not a good player.

2 of those three outcomes are bad and there is a much higher total probability of either #1 or #3. It never pays to fret about recruits. Waste of time and mental energy.

so idk if we could have swung that anyway, and I thought the staff maybe just preferred Omersa.

Did you also think the staff maybe was insane (or just blind)?

How could anyone "prefer" Omersa over Race Thompson (as a basketball player anyway)? Even Pitino said that Omersa was pretty raw at the time he entered the program. As the Rolling Stones said: "You can't always get what you want" and if you try sometimes, you just might find that you don't "get what you need" either.

Last edited:

How could anyone "prefer" Omersa over Race Thompson (as a basketball player anyway)? Even Pitino said that Omersa was pretty raw at the time he entered the program. As the Rolling Stones said: "You can't always get what you want" and if you try sometimes, you just might find that you don't "get what you need" either.
The Stones also said" “There’s one thing baby I don’t understand, you keep on telling me I ain’t your kind of man, ain’t I rough enough, ain’t I tough enough, ain’t I rich enough, in love enough”.....just saying if Omersa would have put up any kind of decent numbers we would put him in the same ilk of undersized rebounders as dad Coffee and Murph. We now have new staff that will be tested not only for their ability to judge apparent talent but also develop that talent. If they fail we will continue to get players that are simply "Tumbling Dice".

Considering a former Minnesota assistant coach (now the head coach of Minnesota) liked this tweet, it would have been fun to be a fly on the wall as this situation was playing out.
Throwing shade at pitino by players and coaches …. 4 years later says more about the player and coach than it does about pitino.

Good strategy. With every recruit, there are three possibilities:

1) He doesn't commit here;

2) He commits here and he is a good player;

3) He commits here but he's not a good player.

2 of those three outcomes are bad and there is a much higher total probability of either #1 or #3. It never pays to fret about recruits. Waste of time and mental energy.
This sounds like Woody Hayes's view on passing.

Race’s senior year he was dealing with knee issues, and there was concern about him from a would he physically hold up perspective, maybe that was a concern that pushed them towards Omersa.

I wonder if Jericho Sims was considering coming too? I don't really ever remember Gophers steam about him, but I saw they were both on the D1 team that year

I wonder if Jericho Sims was considering coming too? I don't really ever remember Gophers steam about him, but I saw they were both on the D1 team that year
Sims committed to Texas august 29th, 2016. IW didn’t commit until September 11th, 2016. Wright was on UofM campus September 2nd, 2016 with a chance to commit.

As others pointed out, the gophers subsequent class (2018) was three local priorities.

I’m not going to get worked up about this one, but I’ll file this along with all the other spin by local players and families who don’t prioritize the gophers but also want to have the glory of being a hometown hero. He clearly had his shot to commit, didn’t take it.

The Stones also said" “There’s one thing baby I don’t understand, you keep on telling me I ain’t your kind of man, ain’t I rough enough, ain’t I tough enough, ain’t I rich enough, in love enough”.....just saying if Omersa would have put up any kind of decent numbers we would put him in the same ilk of undersized rebounders as dad Coffee and Murph. We now have new staff that will be tested not only for their ability to judge apparent talent but also develop that talent. If they fail we will continue to get players that are simply "Tumbling Dice".

Well done! I'm really, really hoping that development part can be improved significantly because that facet of coaching definitely was lacking under the Pitino regime. Apparently Pitino only was capable of coaching players who were good already.

Sims committed to Texas august 29th, 2016. IW didn’t commit until September 11th, 2016. Wright was on UofM campus September 2nd, 2016 with a chance to commit.

As others pointed out, the gophers subsequent class (2018) was three local priorities.

I’m not going to get worked up about this one, but I’ll file this along with all the other spin by local players and families who don’t prioritize the gophers but also want to have the glory of being a hometown hero. He clearly had his shot to commit, didn’t take it.
Suni Lee is going to Auburn.

Well, here is a list of the MND1 alumni that made it in college around the time Wright was on the team. Who do you think it was that was going to join the team? Maybe it was too many of the kids that didn't make it in college ball that wanted to join? I only see 3 players that were worth a MN scholarship.

Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 8.50.43 AM.jpg

Well, here is a list of the MND1 alumni that made it in college around the time Wright was on the team. Who do you think it was that was going to join the team? Maybe it was too many of the kids that didn't make it in college ball that wanted to join? I only see 3 players that were worth a MN scholarship.

View attachment 13596
There were quite a few in 2019 and 2020. I'm not sure how close he was with those players of how serious the discussion was between them. I also know it destroyed the relationship between Pitino and that program. I think he landed one player after that from the program via transfer.

There were quite a few in 2019 and 2020. I'm not sure how close he was with those players of how serious the discussion was between them. I also know it destroyed the relationship between Pitino and that program. I think he landed one player after that from the program via transfer.
They only have 2019 on their website:
Screen Shot 2021-08-08 at 9.33.24 AM.jpg
WE got Battle back and I doubt Hurt was coming to the U.

Top Bottom