All Things McKinley Wright Recruiting Thread

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Champlin Park Junior McKinley Wright Has Offers From Illinois and Kansas State With Gophers Showing Strong Interest
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/552697?referrer_id=388419

McKinley Wright, a 6-foot, 164-pound junior guard from Champlin Park (MN) High, helped lead the Rebels to a 31-1 record as they finished runner-up to Apple Valley in the Class AAAA finals, losing 64-61 this spring.

Wright had 17 points and six rebounds in their opening state tournament win over St. Francis, 10 points versus Shakopee in the semifinals and 17 points and six rebounds in the title game.

Wright averaged 13.8 points and led the Rebels in rebounds and assists as a sophomore. Big 12 school Kansas State offered him this week to go along with an offer from Illinois and Sam Houston State.

Wright, who is considered one of the state's top guards in the Class of 2017, caught up with Gopher Hole at the Hardwood Elite League in Minneapolis.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

McKinley Wright: Two. Illinois and Sam Houston State. (He has since received an offer from Kansas State)

Gopher Hole: How pleased were you with how things turned out for you guys this summer AAU-wise?

McKinley Wright: It was a great season. We are looking to come back even stronger next year. This summer, we did pretty good. We went down to the Under Armour finals and went to the Final Four, so it was a good season. We didn't finish how we wanted, but we had fun.

Gopher Hole: You are starting school this week. What is it going to be like being a junior?

McKinley Wright: It is going to feel good to be an upperclassmen. Time is flying by. I am going to enjoy it while I can. Have another fun high school season and hopefully go back to state and be playing in the state championship again and have a better outcome.

Gopher Hole: Does it sound weird to say that you are a junior, though?

McKinley Wright: No, it doesn't really sound weird. It is shocking, like it is going by fast

Gopher Hole: You got a chance to play with your Champlin Park teammates in the Bracket Buster recently. You are going to have a much different role, a bigger role without some of the graduated seniors. Is that something that you are looking forward to?

McKinley Wright: Yes. I enjoy it. It is a little bit more pressure, but I like pressure, so I am going to have fun with it and take on a bigger role and lead my team.

Gopher Hole: Is that something you have talked to (teammate and fellow junior) Theo (John) about as well?

McKinley Wright: Yes. We talked about it quite often. Me and him have a big role this year. Losing J.T. (Gibson), Marty (Hill), Jeremy (Johnson), Datrice (Mulsumo), Jonathan (Johnson) and Nick (Hayes). A whole bunch of seniors. We lost a lot of good guys, so me and Theo will have a bigger role this year.

Gopher Hole: You had a great season last year, but came up a little bit short, which I know was disappointing after going undefeated into the championship game. Was that something that you carry with you even to this day?

McKinley Wright: I use it as motivation at times. I am kind of past it now, but at the time, it was really tough. Now, going into this high school season, I use it as motivation.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from besides the two offers?

McKinley Wright: Kansas State, Marquette, Virginia Tech, Dayton, Iowa State, DePaul, UNI, Arizona State, Texas Tech, Minnesota, Drake and Miami of Ohio.

Gopher Hole: You also played recently at the Minnesota team camp. What was that experience like?

McKinley Wright: It was fun. I got to play against a lot of people that I know. I played with my AAU team there and my high school team, so we had fun. It was a good experience.

Gopher Hole: Are you hearing much from Minnesota?

McKinley Wright: Yes. I talk to them. I talk to Coach Johnson. Pitino, a few times. Trying to get me down for a football game. It will be fun.

Gopher Hole: I sometimes think that when you get a big-time offer from a power conference school that maybe gets other teams to get involved as well. Is that something that you have noticed that since the Illinois offer, other teams that didn't know about you or were just talking to you, are now stepping it up?

McKinley Wright: Yes. I noticed that a few schools have done that. They were talking to me, but now they are talking to me heavy ever since the Illinois offer.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

McKinley Wright: I am working on my jump shot a lot. My first step is pretty quick and I get to the basket, pretty much at will, but my jump shot can improve and that is what I am working on.

Gopher Hole: You mentioned about possibly going to a Gopher football game. Have you talked to any other coaches about maybe going to some other football games or try to visit some schools?

McKinley Wright: Yes. I am trying to get down to Kansas State and Illinois right now and also Sam Houston State. I have been talking to them about when I can make it down sometime this fall.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to maybe have the opportunity to play Division I basketball?

McKinley Wright: It is a blessing. It is a dream come true. A lot of people want to be able to play Division I basketball and I am blessed to be able to hopefully play there.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to have a chance to play for the hometown school?

McKinley Wright: It would be great. A lot of family would get to watch every game or pretty much every home game, so it would be great to play for my hometown.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Man those programs must want Theo John bad

Who wouldn't. Theo is a beast. If he can develop his post game, he is going to keep shooting up the rankings. Theo should be the number 1 prority for us in 2017.

McKinley Wright deserves those offers. He is going to be really good this year. Played behind one of the best players in the state last year. Should show more this year.

Very much deserving of these offers...one of the better guards on the Under Armour Circuit playing up a year.

Go Gophers!!

I would hope we're offering soon as well. When's the last time there were this many legitimate D1 prospects across the board for MN HS basketball?

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I was at the CP Hopkins game last night. Theo was not impressive, though he just did not seem to get in the flow of the game early, he pouted the remainder of the game and got outrebounded and outworked by Hopkins bigs all night.

Wright looked like a very good future big ten player. He's smooth, great court vision and I like the way he plays. Does not make stupid mistakes and can easily get to the rim or get his shot off. Does all the little things too.

We sat next to Richard Coffey and Jarvis. Brad Davison walked by both, didn't chat with either. Cannot wait to see Amir in a gopher uniform next year!

Hopkins is deep; they have three point guards who can score and run the offense effectively and a 6-10 sophomore coming off the bench. Ishmael El Amin has many of the same mannerisms as his father. Can't say I'd want him at Minnesota but he's a gamer.

Agree with your sentiment on Theo. I've been impressed with El Amin every time I've watched him and would be excited if either he or McKinley Wright ended up being a gopher.

Let's offer this kid now . Time to trim the guys who can't play off the roster.

Let's offer this kid now . Time to trim the guys who can't play off the roster.

Richard might end up doing this sort of thing, but I hate having to do this to kids and it also can backfire at times.

I'm glad we finally offered. Interesting that we have 5 offers out to in-state kids for this class.

Quickest way to win more games and bring fans back! Land the instate kids who are legit D1 guys.

This might have lead to the offer to Wright:

Go Gophers!!

Here is the Tweet that Wright sent out after receiving the offer:

And a congrats from Hurt:

Go Gophers!!

Doogie interviewed Wright on his weekly Podcast. McKinley said all the right things about the Gophers offer, said his family is excited, he and Theo John talk about playing college ball together, but both need to do what is best for them. After the interview Doogie said he feels the Gophers are well positioned in Wright's recruitment.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe it's the Minnesota sports fan in me, but it really sounded like Doogie was trying to bait Wright into talking up the Gophers and he just wasn't having it.

It seems like it could be one of those things where the hometown kid likes the offer and the courtship, but has plans to go elsewhere. Can't blame him if that's the case. Hope its not though.

Maybe it's the Minnesota sports fan in me, but it really sounded like Doogie was trying to bait Wright into talking up the Gophers and he just wasn't having it.

It seems like it could be one of those things where the hometown kid likes the offer and the courtship, but has plans to go elsewhere. Can't blame him if that's the case. Hope its not though.

Interesting. I didn't hear the interview, but Doogie usually pushes players away, or at least plays up the fact the kid is looking to other programs.

I got the same sense. Doogie sounded like he was a U of M recruiter in that interview, and Wright wasn't really having it. I don't think Wright picks the U. Also, he said he wants to pick a school where he can be the PG in 2017 -- we already have a PG for 2017. I'd guess Oklahoma for him. Pitino has the luxury of many good 2017 MN prospects. Something that was rare for the most part prior to the Class of 2014. With so many legit D1 prospects in the state we should be able to turn this thing around easily. Better to spend our energy on the hometown guys more likely to come here. Plenty of good options.

Be great to have him and John headline next year's class. Waste energy on him that is kookie talk? Recruit him hard.

Top Bottom