All Things McKinley Wright Recruiting Thread

Nice, good to see him go outside the B1G. I'd also rather live in Boulder than Dayton, that's for damn sure. Great landing spot.

Tad Boyle is a pretty good coach. He has had Colorado in the tourney 4/6 years he has been there. Good landing spot for McKinley.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

I have season tickets to watch Tad Boyle and company and I prefer Pitino big time over Tad....also BTW it's University of Colorado...not Colorado University. The Buffs have been such a disappointment that many of us aren't renewing. I hope the best for McKinley and certainly hopes he is part of the turn around here....but I will tell you that Boyle is one of the most overrated coaches around. Hope he proves me wrong someday.

I have season tickets to watch Tad Boyle and company and I prefer Pitino big time over Tad....also BTW it's University of Colorado...not Colorado University. The Buffs have been such a disappointment that many of us aren't renewing. I hope the best for McKinley and certainly hopes he is part of the turn around here....but I will tell you that Boyle is one of the most overrated coaches around. Hope he proves me wrong someday.

Re: the colorado university thing: embarrassing but given that all the locals call it "CU", somewhat understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: the colorado university thing: embarrassing but given that all the locals call it "CU", somewhat understandable.

CO resident here, yes that's embarrassing. We do call it CU (which confused me coming from CA originally) but come on, he should know the school he is attending is called the University of Colorado. Good luck to him and I hope he has a great career. IMO solid upgrade from Dayton.

Congrats to Wright, glad to see him on the wolfies. But Hurt went to Duke ("blue blood"), of course they will make him a first round draft pick and an NBA all time great:sneaky:.
That is why you go to the Blue Bloods!

Everybody knows that.

Better coaching and player development……

That is why you go to the Blue Bloods!

Everybody knows that.

Better coaching and player development……
Well there are programs that whle not blue bloods are elite and players are picking them is development and winning and of course professional futures. Kids do follow what coaches are putting guys in the league, especially when there is a track record of 3-4 stars making it.

Well there are programs that whle not blue bloods are elite and players are picking them is development and winning and of course professional futures. Kids do follow what coaches are putting guys in the league, especially when there is a track record of 3-4 stars making it.

A few examples of programs without much recent success who have a surprising number of players in the NBA:

Vanderbilt - had 5 NBA players last season
Washington (has been good in the past but not lately) - 8 NBA players last season
Stanford (not very accomplished in recent years) - 6 NBA players last season

yes, and 5-stars not making it.

A few examples of programs without much recent success who have a surprising number of players in the NBA:

Vanderbilt - had 5 NBA players last season
Washington (has been good in the past but not lately) - 8 NBA players last season
Stanford (not very accomplished in recent years) - 6 NBA players last season
They did not build a winning team but are attracting NBA talent.

They did not build a winning team but are attracting NBA talent.

Indeed. Washington has been particularly remarkable lately for underachieving given the level of its recruited talent. The 20-21 team finished 5-21 despite having 5 RSCI Top 100 players on its roster. The 19-20 team also had 5 Top 100 players including #2 and #7 (both first round NBA picks) but finished 15-17. The 2017 team had 2 Top 100 players and another who wasn't Top 100 but was drafted in the first round; that team finished 9-22. Sandwiched between those failures was the 2019 team that did have 27 wins and was the regular season Pac 12 champion.

In the last four seasons, Vanderbilt had an overall winning percentage of 34% and 17% in the SEC but they've had 3 players drafted from those teams (in fairness, one of them played only five games for them before getting hurt and going pro).

I guess given the right comparison context even Pitino's record of underachievement doesn't look so bad.

I know many will disagree with me but I've watched Wright play 8-10 times and if he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Sims and John are the prizes in this recruiting class.

did you end up losing sleep over it? pitino more or less lost his job over it.

My boy Pitino sure did miss on some local talent. It is as tho him and his assistants did not have the ability to assess basketball Talent. Was Ben an assistant here at the U during the Wright miss?

My boy Pitino sure did miss on some local talent. It is as tho him and his assistants did not have the ability to assess basketball Talent. Was Ben an assistant here at the U during the Wright miss?
If Pitino had sided with Ben’s eval over Kimani, Wright would’ve been here. Story’s been told numerous times and you know this. You’re getting worse and worse at your trolling.

If Pitino had sided with Ben’s eval over Kimani, Wright would’ve been here. Story’s been told numerous times and you know this. You’re getting worse and worse at your trolling.
so wright didn't have a gopher offer, even though he tweeted so? or, as soon as the offer was extended, wright couldn't have accepted it? seems like shame of old Coach for underestimating Wright and shame on Wright for giving old coach that extra time to underestimate him
if you want to be a gopher, accept the offer

so wright didn't have a gopher offer, even though he tweeted so? or, as soon as the offer was extended, wright couldn't have accepted it? seems like shame of old Coach for underestimating Wright and shame on Wright for giving old coach that extra time to underestimate him
if you want to be a gopher, accept the offer
Wright wanted to commit but honor his Dayton visit the next week. Pitino told him no for this and because he knew he had IW coming for a visit. Wright went to Dayton for his visit and. Pitino had IW two weeks later and took his commitment. If he liked Wright more, he wouldn’t have taken IWs commitment or visit for that matter and called Wright and given him one last chance. He liked IW more as many others who relied on rankings did. It was on both parties, but Ben was Wrights primary recruiter and wasn’t the reason he wasn’t here. Pitino valued Kimani’s eval of IW more.

Wright wanted to commit but honor his Dayton visit the next week. Pitino told him no for this and because he knew he had IW coming for a visit. Wright went to Dayton for his visit and. Pitino had IW two weeks later and took his commitment. If he liked Wright more, he wouldn’t have taken IWs commitment or visit for that matter and called Wright and given him one last chance. He liked IW more as many others who relied on rankings did. It was on both parties, but Ben was Wrights primary recruiter and wasn’t the reason he wasn’t here. Pitino valued Kimani’s eval of IW more.
there's only 182 total spots if you want to be in the big ten. Maybe 40 each year for freshmen? if you screw around too long, someone else will take that spot. thinking we may revisit that this year.

I didn't know that story as I prefer not to follow recruiting drama very much (much easier to wait until they come here or don't and I don't think it pays to get invested in any particular recruit).

Now that I read those details, I'm even more disgusted with Pitino. It's one thing to make the wrong decision but at least Pitino could have been more dedicated to the decision he made. Over the latter part of his freshman season, Washington was one of the better players on a bad team after Lynch and Coffey were out. He never would have been as good as Wright (simply not a good enough shooter and a below average athlete for the Big Ten level) but he was a well above average ball handler and a willing passer and could have been valuable if Pitino stuck with him. It's possible that Carr and Washington could have played together with Carr being more of a combo/off guard. Instead, Pitino was determined to run Washington out of town during his sophomore year.

On the other hand, there's a fair chance that Wright wouldn't have been as good of a college player as he was if he had played for Pitino.

I didn't know that story as I prefer not to follow recruiting drama very much (much easier to wait until they come here or don't and I don't think it pays to get invested in any particular recruit).

Now that I read those details, I'm even more disgusted with Pitino. It's one thing to make the wrong decision but at least Pitino could have been more dedicated to the decision he made. Over the latter part of his freshman season, Washington was one of the better players on a bad team after Lynch and Coffey were out. He never would have been as good as Wright (simply not a good enough shooter and a below average athlete for the Big Ten level) but he was a well above average ball handler and a willing passer and could have been valuable if Pitino stuck with him. It's possible that Carr and Washington could have played together with Carr being more of a combo/off guard. Instead, Pitino was determined to run Washington out of town during his sophomore year.

On the other hand, there's a fair chance that Wright wouldn't have been as good of a college player as he was if he had played for Pitino.
Great points. We never have Carr if Wright is here. The fallout with Wright just led to the D1MN/Pitino angst. All of this is hindsight anyway and Pitino is gone so it doesn’t matter anymore. Good call on focusing on who is here.

Love the idea of not following recruiting closely.

did you end up losing sleep over it? pitino more or less lost his job over it.
I’ve been wrong before. I’ll be wrong again… but I didn’t lose a wink of sleep over what a High School kid decides.

Top Bottom