"have fun in November"

I thought that Minnesota did promote the image of Minnesota as being especially cold. Never seemed like all that great a marketing angle. Wisconsin promotes their cheese (which is no better than Minnesota cheese), we promote cold. Great.

I chose to come to the U over UW, and the nice crisp fall weather I experienced during my November tour played heavily on that decision. Having had my mother pursue a grad degree from Madison for several years of my youth, I had strong memory of ugly concrete buildings and shitty rainy fall afternoons. One look at our red brick clad campus on a brisk November morning sealed the deal. I can honestly say that I am a Gopher for life because of the strong seasonal shifts of Minnesota.

And I cannot wait for crisp Saturday mornings that soon will herald football in November in Minnesota.

And having just hung up the phone with my Sun Devil sister who now resides in the hills surrounding Phoenix, I could not be happier to be in Saint Paul, because it is 100 degrees right now (1 am for them) with a 115+ degree day threatening and that is just silly.

I thought that Minnesota did promote the image of Minnesota as being especially cold. Never seemed like all that great a marketing angle. Wisconsin promotes their cheese (which is no better than Minnesota cheese), we promote cold. Great.

I love Minnesota, but great cheese is much harder to find here. Two weeks ago I ventured into North East Wisconsin for a funeral, and stopped at a couple of dairy co-ops, and brother I cannot tell you how nice it was to have cheese curds on a Saturday morning that were still in a gland on Wendesday. Squeaky and delicious. And the Gruyere I picked up is beyond compare and if you found it here it would be thrice as expensive.

Um...Go Gophers. :p

You may want to take another crack at composing this sentence so it reads more clearly.

Gotta love when people turn into grammar police on a message board (another insecurity issue that we don't need to go into).

And you don't have to call me a Nazi, that doesn't make you sound too intelligent, we just want to make sure your life is going in the right direction. I mean if I was on a Badger message board at 10 pm on a Friday night I would be crying for help. So hey, if I try to get the rest of the people on the board behind you, its only because we are trying to help. This seems more pathetic and desperate than annoying to us. Take the right steps little buddy, you'll be glad you did :D.

There are a lot of people who seem to think that Minnesota is as cold as the North Pole. They don't think the same thing about Wisconsin, which makes you imagine permafrost on one side of the border, and palm trees on the other. No one remarks on any of the other teams playing outside in November, despite the temperatures being quite similar.

It's funny, people know all about the famous Ice Bowl game in Green Bay, but don't then question why Wisconsin plays outside. We aren't playing in January, November in Minnesota is fine football weather. If it is a little chilly for some, new technology exists to deal with it. It's called long johns, a sweater and a hat.

You nailed it! Gophers outside no big deal. Vikings outside, a completely different story.

I love Minnesota, but great cheese is much harder to find here. Two weeks ago I ventured into North East Wisconsin for a funeral, and stopped at a couple of dairy co-ops, and brother I cannot tell you how nice it was to have cheese curds on a Saturday morning that were still in a gland on Wendesday. Squeaky and delicious. And the Gruyere I picked up is beyond compare and if you found it here it would be thrice as expensive.

Um...Go Gophers. :p

ummmm......i don't take advice from people who use the word "thrice" in their sentences. just sayin'! ;)

I have also had this argument regarding the Twins ballpark. "I won't go to a game until July." Or.. "April and May will be so cold, not to mention October." Give me a break. Detroit, CWS, CHN, NYY, NYM, Philly, Pittsburgh, and Boston all have outdoor stadiums. People still go. Do less people go when it is cold? Yes. In all those places, save maybe Boston or Wrigley. TCF and Twins will be the same way.

Have to disagree with you here. Mpls in April is still cold, much colder than Chicago is during that month (the first two weeks of May are cold as well). The Sox park doesn't really fill until May because we get so much rain during that time. As far as an outdoor park in Mpls however, the cold of April/early May coupled with the cool temps on a Sept night and September rain not having a roof will prove to be a huge dissapointment. A retractable roof will eventually have to be installed.

Regarding Target Field weather you are completely

incorrect.

There will not be ticket sales probelms in May and October, and the watching a game will be in no meaningful way any different thatn Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, NY, or Pittsburgh. Unless less cold rain is part of the discussion.

No $150 million dollar roof will ever be added to deal with 4 or 5 rainouts a year.

There would have been 0 or 1 rainout so far this year.

Why people fixate on this roof issue is a one of the great mysteries. Does anyone ever ask why the Mets or Yankees do not have roof??????

Have to disagree with you here. Mpls in April is still cold, much colder than Chicago is during that month (the first two weeks of May are cold as well). The Sox park doesn't really fill until May because we get so much rain during that time. As far as an outdoor park in Mpls however, the cold of April/early May coupled with the cool temps on a Sept night and September rain not having a roof will prove to be a huge dissapointment. A retractable roof will eventually have to be installed.

gopherdeuce - you sound like the typical arrogant chicago tool in this post. i have been to chicago many, many times and have family there as well. it is only marginally warmer there in april, not even enough to make a noticeable difference. once you get to may chicago and minneapolis weather is practically the exact same. i notice people from chicago always want outsiders to think it is not cold there in april/may. well, it is. just about as cold as minneapolis. deal with it.

that being said there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why there can be an open-air ballpark in chicago, but not in minneapolis. please! get over youself cubs fan. i guess rooting for a futile franchise like the cubs can warp the minds of people.

and with that i just took a "deuce" all over your post. :rolleyes:

incorrect.

There will not be ticket sales probelms in May and October, and the watching a game will be in no meaningful way any different thatn Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, NY, or Pittsburgh. Unless less cold rain is part of the discussion.

No $150 million dollar roof will ever be added to deal with 4 or 5 rainouts a year.

There would have been 0 or 1 rainout so far this year.

Why people fixate on this roof issue is a one of the great mysteries. Does anyone ever ask why the Mets or Yankees do not have roof??????

EXACTLY! gopherdeuce sounded like a rather uninformed deuce in that post regarding target field.

You poor guys have been drinking the ESPN/SEC Kool aid. Look at head to head action over the last 10 years and you'll wonder where is that speed difference. The Big 10 stacks up well.

Um, yea...since they're building the stadium with a design that can't support a roof this isn't gonna happen. No roof now means no roof forever. And the Twins will be just fine without it.

Um, yea...since they're building the stadium with a design that can't support a roof this isn't gonna happen. No roof now means no roof forever. And the Twins will be just fine without it.

That's a little final, isn't it? I mean, technology is always evolving and improving.

Someday they'll thaw out Ted Williams head and he'll be fielding balls off the Green Monster again.

Speaking of thawing out

Too bad they can't thaw out Jeffrey Dahmer so he can go after sfbadger so he won't bother us anymore with his wit and wisdom.
By the way, that goofy crooked W that becky uses looks like someone painted it in a hurry and the paint ran.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wisconsucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else on the board said this before so I can't take credit but it's so true.

Bucky Badger = Skunk in a popcorn box.

Rail Baron brings up an excellent point about precipitation. Check out these stats from the weather channel on NOVEMBER AVERAGE PRECIP (in inches):

Minneapolis: 1.94
Iowa City: 2.41
Madison: 2.57
East Lansing: 2.58
West Lafayette: 2.81
Ann Arbor: 2.99
Evanston: 3.22
Columbus: 3.30
State College: 3.37
Champaign: 3.45
Bloomington: 3.95

So, My original question was "Would you dress differently for a gametime forecast of 37 degrees vs 43 degrees?" Let me revise that to this: Would you rather be in weather that was 37 degrees and dry, or 45 degrees and wet?

This is what makes an outdoor stadium so critical in Minnesota. It's not that it's HOT here in the Fall; it's that it is usually a good temp, clear/sunny and dry. Perfect weather for college football. And, I have to think, one of the reasons why the game has so much history in this part of the country.

When I get the "have fun in November"...

B.S. from johnnny come lately Fadger fans from Superior who have never been to Camp Randle, let alone TCF, I say either "Thanks, Pu**y." Or "enjoy the game at U.W.S. Saturday." Inside joke, U.W.S. dropped football almost 20 years ago because, Like Wisconsin's Baseball program, it had sucked for as long as anyone could remember and they were tired of hearing about it and it was easy to blame the cut on Title IX.

Too bad they can't thaw out Jeffrey Dahmer so he can go after sfbadger so he won't bother us anymore with his wit and wisdom.

Jeffrey Dahmer may be gone, but don't worry, Wisconsin is the nation's leader in cannibalism and zoonecrophilia, so they will probably produce another sooner or later.

On the other hand, Dahmer probably would have said "Eat a badger fan? That's gross!"

It reminds me of an old joke. I guy goes into a cannibal meat market, and he sees the prices:

Gopher fan: $2.30/lb
Wolverine fan: $2.20/lb
Spartan fan: $1.95/lb
Badger fan: $15.95/lb

He asks "why is Badger fan so expensive?" The butcher replies "Have you ever tried to clean one?"

I looked at the new stadium pix and it appears that the new stadium has aluminum benches? I was at UMass for grad school, which has a very breezy stadium with aluminum benches. New England autumns are glorious beyond words, but I didn't go to as many games in November because sitting on those frigid aluminum benches for 3 hours in the wind was agony. (N.E. is much wetter than MN, as well) I advise everyone to bring a good thick seat cushion! ;)

As a buddy of mine as always said...the one thing that the Gophers need is for fans that to get angry at games and therefore spur a more hostile environment. Now his ideas was for un-sanded wooden bleachers to get the fans going via splinters in their rears. Cold metal seats may just be the trick. That means people will have to stand to avoid the cold metal. Section 231 will not be sitting on their seats anyways.

You know that much like lambeau field, TCF has heated seats...

I mean of course they're heated after sitting in them for 2 and a half hours. The way it's supposed to be

Football outside is going to be sweet!

Well, i live in north florida and I can tell you that college football in September sucks down here...it can be 95 degrees with 60-70 percent humidity during day games...a pain to watch and very physically exhausting for the players. I'll take the cooler weather particularly during Sept/October

Top Bottom