I was taking Grandma Husker to the Doctor

husker70

Reaction score
And flipped on the radio. Not wanting to offend her, I was on the FM classical station when she said" what about the news". I flipped over to CCO and was shocked. I heard the pipes of John Hines doing what must be the 10 to 1 slot. As I listened, I thought 10 to1 heck he is a drive time ratings guy. Then I heard it was a fill in gig. Hmmm, I thought. Why not see if he can do Gopher Football. Anyone but Dave Lee.

Agreed,

I've come to the conclusion that Dave Lee has Attention Deficit. That's why he can't
focus long enough to call the plays correctly. He just can't handle all the voices in his
head! Time to bring in a new announcer along with the new stadium.

And flipped on the radio. Not wanting to offend her, I was on the FM classical station when she said" what about the news". I flipped over to CCO and was shocked. I heard the pipes of John Hines doing what must be the 10 to 1 slot. As I listened, I thought 10 to1 heck he is a drive time ratings guy. Then I heard it was a fill in gig. Hmmm, I thought. Why not see if he can do Gopher Football. Anyone but Dave Lee.

John Hines is a music DJ. He probably knows less about football than my 3 year old. Why don't we just have Donna Valentine do Gophers games?

I definitely agree with the second half of your premise. Anyone but Dave Lee. He has to have some juicy blackmail he's lording over a WCCO executive - seriously.

John Hines is a music DJ. He probably knows less about football than my 3 year old. Why don't we just have Donna Valentine do Gophers games?

I definitely agree with the second half of your premise. Anyone but Dave Lee. He has to have some juicy blackmail he's lording over a WCCO executive - seriously.

Not necessarially. Adam Abrams was a music DJ, and now is public address announcer for both the Wild and the Twins....

Not necessarially. Adam Abrams was a music DJ, and now is public address announcer for both the Wild and the Twins....

Adam is also one of the two guys that runs the video boards are Mariucci and Williams. He's a pretty knowledgeable sports guy.

I'm a fan of Mike Grimm when he does basketball. Perhaps a transition to take over both someday?

The worst experience in life is listening to Dave Lee if the Gophers are losing. You're upset about the score already, and it's like pouring gasoline on a fire when Dave Lee is describing the losing to you.

People often times ask the hypothetical question: would you rather be blind or deaf? Chalk a "pro" on the list for rather being deaf because of Dave Lee.

Swing and a miss. I heard Hines talking about the stadium a couple of months ago, turns out he's been a season ticket holder for a long time.

I would be in favor of Grimm doing football and basketball, he describes the game well and gets excited which I like. The only downside is the complaining about officiating, but I can live with that.

Swing and a miss. I heard Hines talking about the stadium a couple of months ago, turns out he's been a season ticket holder for a long time.

What's your point? I've been driving for 15 years - should I call up NASCAR and see if they'll let me enter their next race?

It takes a little bit more than having a good radio voice and being a fan to be a good sportscaster. Dave Lee has both of those qualities, and he still sucks.

If you agree with the second half of his premise than you agree with the first half. John Hines is not Dave Lee.

If you're looking for a WCCO personality to replace Dave Lee what about Michelle Tafoya who now does the drive time slot

What's your point? I've been driving for 15 years - should I call up NASCAR and see if they'll let me enter their next race?

It takes a little bit more than having a good radio voice and being a fan to be a good sportscaster. Dave Lee has both of those qualities, and he still sucks.
My point was that the guy who has had season tickets for several years probably has more football knowledge than a 3-year old. Nothing more. Not advocating Hines for the job.

I agree listening to Dave Lee is excruciating, but we were spoiled by Ray.

I love Dave Lee. Just not as a play by play guy.

I do really like Tafoya tho, but has she done radio play by play, loved her on TV, and I'm sure she's great color on radio, but pbp on radio is a different gig.

I would be in favor of Grimm doing football and basketball, he describes the game well and gets excited which I like. The only downside is the complaining about officiating, but I can live with that.

Personally, I think complaining about officiating should be a REQUIREMENT for a college football radio man and the team that he describes, but that's just me. :)

Al Shaver's best stuff during his North Stars days was when he'd say "Andy, you're killing us here" after another Van Hellemond incorrect judgement.

A. Halsey Hall
B. Ray Christensen
C. Rod Trongard
D. Dave Lee

Which one doesn't belong?

Top Bottom