USC/Minnesota

gophersfan

Reaction score
i know it not even 2010. but i pose this question to you. what are the chances that this game get the 7 pm central time slot and on primetime on abc. with Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit and Lisa Salters doing the game. thought. i know it a long way away. but it alway fun to predict.

anyway. lets have a 10 win season.

i know it not even 2010. but i pose this question to you. what are the chances that this game get the 7 pm central time slot and on primetime on abc. with Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit and Lisa Salters doing the game. thought. i know it a long way away. but it alway fun to predict.

i think there is a very good chance it gets a prime-time evening slot on the network.

There is a good shot at it since it's a fairly big time non-conference game which will be early in the season...Also a first time game, plus gophers should be coming off another good season, USC is always good as hell, and there would be quite a draw I believe...

I love this because EVERYONE expects us to get blown out of the water. If we somehow manage to make it a close game (I'd be willing to bet my entire life savings that we lose) it will help our team image...are you ready for this...tremendously.

Depends on how well we do next season and if there are any other big non conference games that day. That being said, I think our game with USC will be during prime time. And hopefully we will turn some heads!

USC vs Arkansas and USC vs Virgina are comparable matchups that the Trojans have had in the past few years and neither one was broadcast nationally on ABC. The Arkansas game was on ESPN.

USC vs Arkansas and USC vs Virgina are comparable matchups that the Trojans have had in the past few years and neither one was broadcast nationally on ABC. The Arkansas game was on ESPN.

Good comparisons. I was planning to post the same thing.

We'll only get primetime billing if we are seen as a contender for the Big Ten title and it is expected that the game will be competitive.

arkansas and virginia are not comparable match-ups in terms of media market size that can be captured. i say a tv exec is more compelled to put a team from a larger tv market like minneapolis and from the big ten on tv against usc than they are to put a team from arkansas or a school in virginia whose most successful sport seems to be lacrosse.

arkansas and virginia are not comparable match-ups in terms of media market size that can be captured. i say a tv exec is more compelled to put a team from a larger tv market like minneapolis and from the big ten on tv against usc than they are to put a team from arkansas or a school in virginia whose most successful sport seems to be lacrosse.

I disagree, I think that UVA and Arkansas are fair comparisons. UVA can pull the media market of DC and Arkansas has tons of great fan support and are have tons of alumni and support in Texas especially in the Dallas Fort Worth market.

Also a first time game.

USC and Minnesota have played six times, with USC leading the series 4-1-1. The two teams last met in 1980 at Memorial Stadium (USC won 24-7). The only Gopher victory in the series was in the 1955 Homecoming game (25-19). As part of my Gopher memorabilia collection, I actually have that pin.

n13924722_46932166_2572.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised either way. A lot will depend on how the Gophers do this year to set up interest (national TV) for that game next year. Also don't forget that just because it is USC it will be on national TV. The national media tends to forget about the Pac 10 schools (even USC) and it really pisses off our friends on the west coast. USC does get some coverage because their success is obvious enough to cut through the BS. But, the east coast media (especially ESPN) tends to focus on the SEC in football and the ACC in basketball regardless of how the rest of the country is doing.

If I were to bet... I'd guess it would be an ESPN game.

Stiff competition from other games that day

So games of national prominence for 9/18/10:

Arizona State @ Wisconsin
Clemson @ Auburn
BYU @ Florida State
Hawaii @ Colorado
Iowa @ Arizona
Notre Dame @ Michigan State
Nebraska @ Washington
Air Force @ Oklahoma
South Carolina @ North Carolina
Florida @ Tennessee
UCLA @ Texas
TCU @ Texas Tech
East Carolina @ Virginia Tech

Of those I could see ESPN / ABC showcasing Notre Dame / MSU game as a prime time game. CBS will have dibs on the Florida /Tennessee tilt but whether they show it at prime time is another question however. The Texas / UCLA game is another one that could be national exposure although since it is at Texas (Big 12)that may be a game that Fox Sports can showcase.

UVA - USC

fyi - That was an ABC game down here in the Southeastern part of the country.

gooooooophers 50, USC 0.

I like we're you're going with this! However it may seem agressive I do have a good vibe on this one unlike some of my buddies. Hey Stanford, Oregon State, & UCLA have been able to pull off a W in the past few years.- why not us? A "W" here would catapault this program in the national spotlight in a heartbeat. Visualize it and see it happen! Crap now I gotta get back to work.

Erin Andrews already contacted me (via Twitter) and told me she is bringing the whole crew to Minneapolis for the game. Big time event apparently.

Also disagree. They can put it on ABC in the Cities while making it ESPN everywhere else if they really want to. But we have to have a good season this year and be primed to finish in the top of the B10 next year to be a fully national game.

Erin Andrews already contacted me (via Twitter) and told me she is bringing the whole crew to Minneapolis for the game. Big time event apparently.

The "whole crew" can stay at home as far as I'm concerned. Just send Erin. And her sister too.

I hate to say it, but I don't think we want anyone around the country watching this game. I hope the Gophers prove me wrong.

So games of national prominence for 9/18/10:

Arizona State @ Wisconsin
Clemson @ Auburn
BYU @ Florida State
Hawaii @ Colorado
Iowa @ Arizona
Notre Dame @ Michigan State
Nebraska @ Washington
Air Force @ Oklahoma
South Carolina @ North Carolina
Florida @ Tennessee
UCLA @ Texas
TCU @ Texas Tech
East Carolina @ Virginia Tech

Of those I could see ESPN / ABC showcasing Notre Dame / MSU game as a prime time game. CBS will have dibs on the Florida /Tennessee tilt but whether they show it at prime time is another question however. The Texas / UCLA game is another one that could be national exposure although since it is at Texas (Big 12)that may be a game that Fox Sports can showcase.

i would see notre dame/michigan state as the only real mid-west ABC competition to a Minnesota/USC match-up. for all we know notre-dame/michigan state could still be an NBC game. i like our chances on ABC for this game. as mentioned FL/TN will be on CBS.

This is gonna be a huge game, can't wait. I know for fact that the grounds crew at TCF is able to bring down the goalposts in like 5-15 seconds, they are ready for big time games like this.
I have to say one of the most memorable college FB games lately for me has to be the Texas Tech game this last year, the dramatic catch by crabtree,when those fans stormed that field, with the sea of black. Imagine that very scene with say Weber to Green, and a sea of gold.
Up until the last few years that program has been just so so, kinda like ours has been lately. A win, even as unbelievable as it would be, would catapult our program into the national spotlight like it hasn't been for years.

i would see notre dame/michigan state as the only real mid-west ABC competition to a Minnesota/USC match-up. for all we know notre-dame/michigan state could still be an NBC game. i like our chances on ABC for this game. as mentioned FL/TN will be on CBS.

No NBC does not carry any Notre Dame road game. only home games for Notre Dame on NBC.

Top Bottom