GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 8/30/15

DL65

Reaction score
Today’s Sports Huddle was at the Minnesota State Fair. There were several questions for Jerry Kill that were related to the opening game (Thursday night) with TCU.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/548849?referrer_id=

1) Sid asked about the Horned Frogs:

Jerry Kill spoke highly of the visiting opponent: “They’re number two (in the nation) for a reason . . . speed . . . great defense.” Kill also said TCU has a lot of returning players on offense.

Kill briefly referenced last year’s game in Fort Worth and the five turnovers that the Gophers committed in the game. But he then sounded upbeat with this year’s game at home: “It’s a lot easier to play at home than on the road.”

2) Sid asked about TCU’s quarterback, Trevonne Boykin:

“You’ll see the guy who (at this time) is the leading candidate for the Heisman . . . (Gopher) secondary looking forward to the challenge . . . fastest wide receivers we’ll face,” Kill answered.

Sid interjected that TCU has lost a lot on defense. Kill, however, quickly responded: “They’ll always be good on defense as long as he’s (Patterson) there.”

3) Sid opined that it’s important that the stadium be loud. He wanted the people to be standing during the game and being loud when TCU has the ball:

Kill responded, “No doubt. Louder the stadium is better for us.”

4) Talking about Thursday’s night game against TCU, Sid said Minnesota is on the national football map:

“We’ll find out where we’re at,” Kill said.

Coach Kill finished the question saying, “We play number 1 (Ohio State) and number two (TCU).”

5) Sid opined that Minnesota has a tough schedule this year:

Kill said they play (an away game) Colorado State – a twelve win team - after playing the Horned Frogs. He also acknowledged the Gophers have a tough conference schedule, including crossover games with Michigan and Ohio State.

Nevertheless, Kill sounded accepting of the challenging schedule, which is similar to last year’s schedule: “You worry about what you can control.”

6) Sid said Mitch Leidner has to have a solid game against TCU’s defense , if the Gophers hope to win the game:

Coach Kill sounded very positive in his response: “Mitch has looked great . . . two great weeks of practice.”

Kill finished the question sounding upbeat when he said the TCU game is good for the fans.

7) Dave Mona asked what the practice schedule looks like because of a Thursday night game:

Kill said today is like its Wednesday. Today is the last day of contact.

8) Sid brought up the topic of Jerry’s longtime friendship with TCU’s head coach, Gary Patterson:

“Coach Patterson comes from a small town in Kansas as I do . . . I was in his wedding . . . We’re both competitors . . . Game on,” Kill responded.

Kill also talked at length about the many coaching stops that Coach Patterson has had, including some with Coach Kill.

Although they’re close friends, especially after the season, IMO, Kill is looking forward to Thursday’s game and doesn’t just want to look good competitively; he wants to win. A win would mean a lot personally to Coach Kill but also would be helpful to the start of a successful season.

9) Sid asked what freshmen could play this year:

Coach Kill was quick in his response and sounded excited in giving the following names, with the exception of one player that I’m not sure of:

“Rashad Still has had a good camp . . . 6-6, 205 pounds . . . can run.”
“Shannon Brooks’ – outstanding.”
“Melvin Holland, redshirt freshman, playing outside receiver.”

10) Coach Kill was asked about Shannon Brooks being a top back from the state of Georgia and how he was able to get a commitment from Shannon:

Kill said Brooks was a leading player in class 4A (there are six classes in Georgia). As how he was able to land a top running back from Georgia, Kill said, “It’s all about relationships.” He said wide receiver coach Brian Anderson had developed a good relationship with Shannon’s high school coach.

Additionally, Kill said Brooks’ visit to Minnesota, with his mother, played an instrumental part in his commitment.

11) Sid asked about the team’s running backs and how they can replace David Cobb:

In his response, Kill said you don’t replace a player like David Cobb or Maxx Williams. However, Kill sounded very positive and pleased with current running backs: Rodney Smith, Berkley Edwards, and Roderick Williams.

12) Sid asked about Jeff Jones:

“Playing inside slot receiver . . . He’s looked good . . . He’s a true freshman, has a lot to learn.” Kill replied.

Kill also said Jeff Jones suffered a concussion in fall camp, which has slowed him.

Seeing the depth at running back, according to Kill, Jeff Jones was open to the move to wide receiver.

13) Dave Mona asked a two-part question – game day uniforms for Thursday’s game and the first play on offense:

The decision of the uniforms that will be worn is left up to “the players and equipment guys,” Kill said.

As to the second question, (laughing) Kill said, “No comment!”

14) A question was raised related to the team’s kicking game:

Kill, once again, sounded very positive and upbeat. “Punting (Peter Mortell) and Kicking (Ryan Santoso) is in good hands.”

He also talked about the long-snapper position, which will be handled by a red shirt freshman. I believe the name given was Peyton Jordahl from Perham, Minnesota. In any case, He’s been working with the player the past two weeks getting him ready for his game as a collegian.

15) Sid asked about the offensive line:

“We feel good about it,” Kill replied.

Kill, once again, talked about TCU’s strength and speed, and that it’s paramount that the offensive line protects Leidner.

He also said that they can’t give up big plays and that they must make plays. I suspect he was thinking about last year’s five turnovers as well as containing Trevonne Boykin.

16) Sid opined the Gophers had a good second-half against TCU last year:

Kill said, “We didn’t play well.” He went onto say TCU's athleticism and speed were big factors in last year’s loss.

17) Kill was asked about his success in getting quarterbacks from Chicago:

Kill said his coaching in Illinois has been a big help because of coaching relationships developed, having had stops at Northern Illinois and at Southern Illinois University. Two of the team’s quarterbacks are from the Chicago area: Chris Streveler and Demry Croft.

During his response, Kill said, “Jacques Perra has had a good camp.”

18) Dave Mona mentioned that Thursday’s game is a sell-out:

Kill said, “Our home schedule is good for our fans . . . Having sold out games helps in revenue and all sports.”

19) Sid asked about the team’s health going into Thursday’s game:

Kill said, “We’ll know today . . . We have to get a couple that need to get healthy and get them back today or tomorrow . . . I’ll feel better if we get them back.”

Go Gophers!!

The White Mountains of Arizona sincerely THANK YOU!!!

GO GOPHERS!!!

18) Dave Mona mentioned that Thursday’s game is a sell-out:

Kill said, “Our home schedule is good for our fans . . . Having sold out games helps in revenue and all sports.

Great report as always DL!
I love the bolded part that Kill made sure to add. Now if everyone else in the athletic department would actually start understanding that.

Anyone have legit info on who the two may be that need to get healthy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report as always DL!
I love the bolded part that Kill made sure to add. Now if everyone else in the athletic department would actually start understanding that.

First: Thanks again DL, love that you do this.

Also, that quote serves double purpose. He's also saying "Get the damn facilities project going".

Thanks, DL. You and Nadine are Gopher Blessings to me. Love your report and what Jerry is saying. Good comments above as well. This is a huge game for us. Not the end of the season, the beginning. If we don't turn the ball over, I like our chances.

Thanks, DL. You and Nadine are Gopher Blessings to me. Love your report and what Jerry is saying. Good comments above as well. This is a huge game for us. Not the end of the season, the beginning. If we don't turn the ball over, I like our chances.

I was out of town so greatly appreciate your report. Sounds like Sid asked some good questions

Thanks, guys, for your kind remarks. It's good to be back transcribing the Sports Huddle.

Being listed with Nadine, with her many contributions to GopherHole, is a very, very good compliment!

Go Gophers!!

I was surprised when Coach Kill mentioned that we should beat TCU by 30 points, but I think the coaches confidence is a good thing.

Top Bottom