I was in Hutchinson and was amazed at those wearing Gopher Gear

husker70

Reaction score
While waiting for Mrs. Husker I noticed a 10 year old with his grandpa wearing a Jersey with number 5. They were at a picnic table eating at Lions Club stand, and I could not help myself. I asked him where he had got that jersey, and how he chose number 5? Grandpa jumped in said it was the one on the rack that fit him best. I said to the kid, do you know you are wearing the number of one of the greatest Gophers who came from right here in Hutchinson? His eyes got wider, his smile increased. That player was Stan Sytsma. He went to U to play QB, and switched to Defensive End. He was on the team that shut out Michigan. Grandpa said him you know that's right he was from here. How about that. They finished and as they left I swear that kid was floating on air.

Just fanastic! Loved it. You may have cemented a young man's Gopher fandom, for life.

That shut out over Michigan happened on my 21st birthday. I was unable to break away from studies for the game, but listened on the radio and as the 4th quarter wound down, it became clear we were going to topple #1 Michigan that day at Memorial Stadium. I hustled over to the stadium from my Dinkytown apartment, getting there in time for the last couple of plays, and then hearing the players singing the Rouser right beneath me as they headed for the locker room. What a special memory on a special day.

That's a great story! I'm from Hutchinson myself and mr. Stysma is in the Hutchinson athletic hall of fame here. If you were ever to go to the high school they have a small award listing all of his accomplishments.

Top Bottom