2015 Gophers Volleyball Thread!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per GopherSports:

The University of Minnesota volleyball team earned a 3-0 win over No. 18 North Carolina, today, in conjunction with the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, held in Louisville, Ky. With the win, the Golden Gophers improve to 2-2 on the season as they earned a 3-2 last night over host Louisville.

Hannah Tapp had 10 kills in 18 swings to hit a team-best .389. Daly Santana had 13 kills in 45 attempts, while Alyssa Goehner had 10 kills in 28 swings. Dalianliz Rosado added a career-high 27 digs. She broke her previous best of 21, set last year vs. Nebraska. Katie Schau also had 11 digs, followed by Goehner with eight. Samantha Seliger-Swenson have a match-high 36 assists, while Paige Tapp led the Gophers with three total blocks. As a team, the Gophers out hit UNC .221 to .176 and had 59 digs to the Tar Heels’ 55. UNC outblocked Minnesota, 12-5.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/090515aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

I thought last year some people where being way to down on this team. We only had one senior and two juniors as upperclassmen, what do you suspect. Even after Our Gopher ladies lost there first two games this year, I still thought they would be much improved over last year. Next year we will be back to being one of the best teams in the Big teams.

I'm still waiting until Hugh can beat Penn St. Once he can do that, get back to me.

Hugh certainly needs his team to turn the corner against Penn State, but last year some people were acting like its the end of the world when this team only had 3 upperclassmen.

Well I'm certainly not in favor of switching coaches any time soon. Hugh's credentials are impeccable. You absolutely couldn't find someone that has better credentials for volleyball. Some small argument can be made about the differences between Olympic and College but that's about it. I'm willing to give him 10 years to see if he can find us a Big Ten title...

Gophers looked pretty dominant sweeping NDSU this morning -16, -15, -12. Play UCF tonight to finish the Diet Coke Classic.

per GopherSports:

The University of Minnesota volleyball program is ranked 23rd in the recent American Volleyball Coaches Association poll, announced today by the organization. The ranking marks the first time since Oct. 27, 2014 the Golden Gophers have been ranked.

Minnesota, who received votes in the preseason poll as well as last week’s poll, received 147 votes for the 23rd spot this week. After dropping the opening season contests against Texas A&M and then-No. 2 Stanford, Minnesota has won the last five straight. In fact, the Gophers have swept its last four opponents, including then-No. 18 North Carolina. The Gophers are one of eight teams ranked within the Big Ten Conference. Penn State holds the overall No. 1 spot, followed by Nebraska (4), Illinois (6), Wisconsin (11), Ohio State (13), Michigan (20) and Purdue (22).

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/091415aad.html

Go Gophers!!

Congrats to the Gopher Ladies with their big win over Ohio St in Columbus. Very tough one in Happy Valley (I'll be happy if we don't get swept), but a good start to the year. Especially since we started 0-2 out in California. Let's shock the world and beat Penn St. at Penn St.

Gophers lose to #1 Penn State 3-2 - 25-22, 25-16, 19-25, 20-25, 15-12

Minnesota is the first team to take them to five sets during their 32 match win streak. Penn State had lost two sets in its previous 31 matches. First time this season PSU has lost a set.

Gophers home on wednesday vs. Northwestern.

Rematch with Penn State on November 14

Gophers lose to #1 Penn State 3-2 - 25-22, 25-16, 19-25, 20-25, 15-12

Minnesota is the first team to take them to five sets during their 32 match win streak. Penn State had lost two sets in its previous 31 matches. First time this season PSU has lost a set.

Terrific match. There were more extended exciting rallies in this match than there were all last season (okay, a slight exaggeration). Anyway, Rosado and Selinger-Swenson have really stepped into their roles.

Minnesota defeated Northwestern at the Pav, 16, 23, and 21, It was a tidy first set, a less tidy second and a bloody third (with the score 6-4 NW, Katie Schau took a laser shot to the nose. The nose was packed, the bleeding stopped and Schau returned later to finish the match).

Of note: Both coaches used their challenges tonight. I think both McCutcheon and Chan were 1-1. And no, I didn't realize there was a challenge system.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...-instant-replay-challenges-women-s-volleyball

I couldn't find a Big Ten release regarding the challenge system but here is the February NCAA release. (I've watched various B1G matches on line and either I wasn't paying attention or it is being used in some venues and not others. It is the down ref who reviews the play and makes the decision).

[I"]The Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved an instant replay challenge rule for the 2015 season during a conference call on Wednesday. The Big 12, Big Ten and Pac-12 conferences will be allowed to use the experimental rule in conference matches only, provided that a school has the necessary equipment and personnel to utilize the rule.

Schools in the participating conferences will not be required to purchase new equipment, and there will not be a minimum requirement for the number of cameras used during each match.

Coaches will be permitted three challenges per match, and those challenges will have no effect on the number of allowed timeouts a team has remaining. The challenge must be lodged immediately following the rally and before the first referee’s arm is extended to start the service for the next point".[/I]

On a warm night in a packed PAV, Minnesota defeated the 7th ranked Illini 26-24, 22-25, 22-25, 25-10 and 15-6. After splitting the first two sets Illinois sprinted to a big lead in the third. Hugh replaced Seliger-Swenson (who was struggling with location) with Erica Handley and the Gophers made the Illini work to win the set. SSS returned to start the fourth, the momentum continue and the Gophers ran the Illini off the court. Santana (terrific match), Hannah Tapp and Wilhite provided the power.

I'm not sure who most enjoyed the win-the coaches or the players.

Some stats from the Illinois match:

In the last 2 sets, Illinois only scored 1 point on their own serve. The Gophers sided out on 16 out of the Illini's 18 serves.

Santana is playing some good defense with her usually sterling offense adding 11 digs to her 26 kills.

The Gophers outblocked Illinois 16-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant 17 serves for Illinois in the last 2 sets. The Gophers sided out 9/10 in the 4th and 7/7 in the 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both matches were 3 game sweeps. Just what we needed, easy wins. Penn St loses a shocker to Northwestern.

Big win for the Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Another big road win as Minnesota took out the Badgers 11=25, 26-24, 25-16, 24-26 and 15-11. After sleep walking through the first set, Minnesota were kick started by Santana and Paige Tapp. The power came up and the UW Fieldhouse calmed down. However, the Gophers failed on match points in the fourth set as the Badgers took advantage of miss hits to send it to five. In the fifth, Rosado got Minnesota on an early 5-0 run and the Gophers maintained the gap sending everyone to Minneapolis for round two.

One more time, Santana was a tough matchup for the Badgers.

Top Bottom