STrib: Gophers say no to the no-huddle offense

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

he Gophers spent spring practice experimenting heavily with a no-huddle offense, but this month they’ve been huddling regularly again.

“To be honest with you, we haven’t done near as much no-huddle as we did in the spring,” coach Jerry Kill said Saturday. “We experimented with it a little bit, and we’ve been a huddle team. That’s who we are.”

Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said Kill wanted to use the no-huddle offense to help prepare the defense for TCU’s no-huddle attack in Thursday’s opener, along with other no-huddle teams such as Northwestern and Purdue.

“That’s hard to simulate with your true freshmen work team,” Limegrover said.

Quarterback Mitch Leidner said the two-minute offense should benefit from the time the team spent practicing the up-tempo, no-huddle stuff.

“That’s a thing that can win you games,” he said.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-say-no-to-the-no-huddle-offense/323328001/

Go Gophers!!

It was a stupid idea. The entire program is built around shortening games, why would we lengthen them.

Glad they had second thoughts.

Likewise, I think going more no huddle will hurt Alabama. I think it did last year. If you're good at what you do, don't try to do something else.

Sometimes it works (2014 TCU), more often it doesn't (rich rod Michigan, power run game Florida, power run Brewster after he recruited spread people)

It was a stupid idea. The entire program is built around shortening games, why would we lengthen them.

Glad they had second thoughts.

Likewise, I think going more no huddle will hurt Alabama. I think it did last year. If you're good at what you do, don't try to do something else.

Sometimes it works (2014 TCU), more often it doesn't (rich rod Michigan, power run game Florida, power run Brewster after he recruited spread people)
Do you think the no huddle was ever seriously considered? We lost a couple of games because didn't even try the two minute drill. Spring is for experimenting, practicing the no huddle has three advantages, you prepare the defense, you rep more kids and your able to execute the two minute offense. I never thought it was anything more.

FTR - they never had a plan of becoming a no-huddle team. As Limegrover says, they did it with the idea of helping the defense prepare and to maybe help them be more comfortable in the 2-minute drill. At the end of the day, this is not a story now - everyone made too much of it in the Spring.

I just wanted it to be something that could be used once in awhile. Like in a game when our OL is playing well and our defense is pretty well rested. Come out and run 3 or 4 no huddle plays to start a drive and see how it goes. I think it will still be used at some point.

Do you think the no huddle was ever seriously considered? We lost a couple of games because didn't even try the two minute drill. Spring is for experimenting, practicing the no huddle has three advantages, you prepare the defense, you rep more kids and your able to execute the two minute offense. I never thought it was anything more.
I don't think they considered going to it exclusively. Even as a change of pace it doesn't make sense for our style. Your tempo should match your overall defensive and offensive strategy.

I give them credit for not going to it exclusively.

I do not give them credit for merely using it to work on two minute situations. If they didn't work on two minute situations before last spring that would be a huge indictment of the staffX they definitely had done some no huddle before this spring. So they clearly were thinking of something, but I don't know what.

It is a sign of a good coaching staff to cut their losses though. So kudos.

I don't think they considered going to it exclusively. Even as a change of pace it doesn't make sense for our style. Your tempo should match your overall defensive and offensive strategy.

I give them credit for not going to it exclusively.

I do not give them credit for merely using it to work on two minute situations. If they didn't work on two minute situations before last spring that would be a huge indictment of the staffX they definitely had done some no huddle before this spring. So they clearly were thinking of something, but I don't know what.

It is a sign of a good coaching staff to cut their losses though. So kudos.

We have not had a recognizable two minute drill to this point. The popular theory has been because our QBs can't be trusted to make good decisions with the ball.

We have not had a recognizable two minute drill to this point. The popular theory has been because our QBs can't be trusted to make good decisions with the ball.

Yeah that is one thing I really hope we see this year, a reliable 2 minute offense. It has been a joke to this point when we get in those situations and it is clear the team has no clue how to execute. Been a number of times where a capable 2 minute offense would have been able to potentially get some points on the board heading into halftime.

I just wanted it to be something that could be used once in awhile. Like in a game when our OL is playing well and our defense is pretty well rested. Come out and run 3 or 4 no huddle plays to start a drive and see how it goes. I think it will still be used at some point.

This is kind of how I thought of it too. Was thinking they might pull it out in the middle of a drive after the other team substituted some of their Dline giving our Oline an advantage. By doing the no huddle we could keep their defense on the field and take advantage of the matchup. In practice when they ran the no huddle it didn't really speed their offense up, most times the play clock was under 10 seconds by the time they snapped the ball. It wasn't a hurry up, just a no huddle.

Does anyone think Kill is really going to tell people if he is or isn't going to use it?

Does anyone think Kill is really going to tell people if he is or isn't going to use it?

If they were going to use it more than occasionally I would think they would be practicing it a lot more.

Hopefully we can at least play with a little urgency once in a while so we don't end up getting the ball back with 4 minutes left in the half and be thinking field goal.

Have you been to all the practices?

Some of the public ones and the scrimmage. I know what you are saying, and I agree with you. I still think we are going to use it, but more in specific situations (like the one I stated above). They are not going to run a no huddle offense for the majority of the season.

Some of the public ones and the scrimmage. I know what you are saying, and I agree with you. I still think we are going to use it, but more in specific situations (like the one I stated above). They are not going to run a no huddle offense for the majority of the season.

Oh I agree with that totally. Just saying it might pop up when people least expect it.

Oh I agree with that totally. Just saying it might pop up when people least expect it.

Yeah that's what I was saying above. I think it would work well in a 2nd half drive when our Oline has worn down the Dline. Keep the same guys on the field and just pound them. Or maybe after a turnover by the other team, go out and try to surprise them when they weren't ready to be back on the field anyway.

Also what Limegrover said is what I first thought when I saw it at spring practice last year. Looked like they were just trying to get the D ready for the first game against TCU. They have to practice some against a hurry up offense or that first half could be real ugly.

Top Bottom