Beckman Fired?

Beckman may not even make it to the season if there is anything to the recent allegations on coercing kids to play hurt.

Bling, Bling, Bling. We have a winner. This was from the 5/19/2015 poll on first coach to get fired.

By the way, Tim Brewster ready, willing, and able to coach his Alma Mater

So is Beckman the first coach fired in the 2015 season or really just the last coach fired from the 2014 season?

How ****ing stupid do you have to be to run a program like that in this day and age?

So Beckman will be replaced as HC by his OC, Bill Cubit.

I'm supposed to believe his top level coordinators didn't know what was going on with pushing players to play thru injury?

I'm supposed to believe his top level coordinators didn't know what was going on with pushing players to play thru injury?

Cubit used to coach at W. Michigan so the admins probably figured they could ride out the year with a former head coach as that's the best they could probably do.

Totally agree with that GBG. How are we supposed to accept that the other coaches or coordinators had no idea?

Cubit used to coach at W. Michigan so the admins probably figured they could ride out the year with a former head coach as that's the best they could probably do.

Probably so. I don't envy Illinois' choice on picking who to lead a lame-duck season moving forward. I hope that the players had some say in this appointment, because if Cubit was complicit or silent on what ultimately got Beckman fired, it is even more unfortunate.

It would be kind of scary if IL got a good HC. There's a lot of talent there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Totally agree with that GBG. How are we supposed to accept that the other coaches or coordinators had no idea?

You can't totally clean house this close to the start of the season....obviously they found enough evidence to get rid of Beckman now, the rest of the staff will follow after the season but with a week to go until the first game you just can't get rid of the whole staff. Think it is pretty safe to assume it is going to be a dumpster fire in Champaign this season. And this will crush them in recruiting as well because the lame duck staff is going to have little to no desire to go out and recruit athletes they won't be coaching next year anyway. This is the kind of mess that sets a program back multiple years.

Probably, but how do you do an entire year of recruiting with coaches that will be gone? I mean, they obviously felt he had to be gone, today. Which is fair enough. But it is going to sting that program for years...

Ever been to Champaign-Urbana? Dump with dumpy facilties. No worries.

You can't totally clean house this close to the start of the season....obviously they found enough evidence to get rid of Beckman now, the rest of the staff will follow after the season but with a week to go until the first game you just can't get rid of the whole staff. Think it is pretty safe to assume it is going to be a dumpster fire in Champaign this season. And this will crush them in recruiting as well because the lame duck staff is going to have little to no desire to go out and recruit athletes they won't be coaching next year anyway. This is the kind of mess that sets a program back multiple years.

I realize that. But, one has to expect that some of the other staff had to know what was transpiring or were a small part of it. I find it hard to believe this is just all on Beckman alone.

And, wasn't Illinois already set back multiple years when they hired Beckman? :cool:

I realize that. But, one has to expect that some of the other staff had to know what was transpiring or were a small part of it. I find it hard to believe this is just all on Beckman alone.

And, wasn't Illinois already set back multiple years when they hired Beckman? :cool:

There is no doubt that the majority of the staff knew what was going on and played a role in it. But there is no way you could get someone hired and in place in a week so you need to keep the remainder of the staff on board until the end of the season. They will all probably be fired the moment the final second ticks off the clock in their final game of the season. It is going to be a complete disaster out there this year because the entire staff will be focusing more about where they are going next year as opposed to worrying about this year.

Weird timing, but there's no such thing as too soon with Beckman. From the moment I saw him speak, I knew he was a fraud. This is bad - only because Illinois will have no choice but be better in a couple of years.

Indiana you are on the clock.

I like their coach and I think he's doing as well he can in the division he found himself in. I'd give him more time if it was me. They could be doing a lot worse (and have for most of the last 50 years, just like us).

If I recall correctly, at the end of the season, Cubit was openly stating at press conferences that he did not agree with Beckman's offensive game-planning and would be calling the plays on offense as he saw fit despite Beckman's instructions.

Beckman was like a mean version of Tim Brewster.

Will Illinois look for an offensive coach, defensive coach, maybe look for coach who has experience in the big 5, or look to a young MAC coach? They have taken one of each and no results. My tip find someone who can shut the door in Chicago and St Louis areas They must dominate in state recruiting.

Kill's name will come up after all the time he coached in the state. The Regents better not f-up the practice facility/

ZZZ. Going to Illinois would be trading your Hyundai for a Kia. An older damaged Kia that needs major repairs.

Weird timing, but there's no such thing as too soon with Beckman. From the moment I saw him speak, I knew he was a fraud. This is bad - only because Illinois will have no choice but be better in a couple of years.

Any Gopher fan that paid attention during the Brewster era knew it....

What if Bielema gets hammered at a frat party this fall and Arkansas lets him go?

What if Bielema gets hammered at a frat party this fall and Arkansas lets him go?

The sad thing about Bielema, is that as unlikeable as he seems to be, he would be an absolute home run hire for Iowa or Illinois.

The guy knows how to recruit, build a staff, and create stability in the program. BB is from Illinois, and could build a monster program there or even at Iowa. I still think Iowa is going to regress below the mean, in the post Ferentz era. Hayden Fry was one of a kind, and the main reason Iowa rose up for 30 plus years Iowa is due to fall hard, and take a 25 year dump.

Back to BB,. I still think he will get it done at Arkansas.

Top Bottom