Will the band go to an away game this year?

dannygopher9100

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything so I am going to assume they are not. But I could be wrong.

:pig:I had a post for this when I misread the title as "Will the band go away this year?"

trolling.... trolling... trolling... just kidding . Need a troll Emoji :)

Until the band is funded by the athletic department like other B1G schools, they probably won't be at away games.

Until the band is funded by the athletic department like other B1G schools, they probably won't be at away games.

How many others in the B1G are funded? Sounds like you would know the answer to this.

So one other school in the B1G funds band and that's it? When you get 100K people to show up to every game, I'm guessing there is more money in the budget for just about everything.

So one other school in the B1G funds band and that's it? When you get 100K people to show up to every game, I'm guessing there is more money in the budget for just about everything.

From the article he posted:

Band Director Jon Waters said he gave school officials a list detailing the funding that other Big Ten Conference universities provided their bands. Waters said the $220,000 placed Ohio State ninth out of 11 schools (he could not find figures for Northwestern).

Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska were atop the list at about $350,000 to $375,000, Waters said.

I doubt there will be any away games in the future until the uniform campaign is fully funded. I would expect all dollars above normal operations to go to that project.

Do they get separate funding to go to a bowl game? If there is one away game that makes sense it would be the bowl game.

Do they get separate funding to go to a bowl game? If there is one away game that makes sense it would be the bowl game.

Yes. This comes out of the money the school gets for appearing in the bowl.

I think the U of M marching band is funded by the School of Music, whose pockets aren't quite as deep as the Athletic Dept. I couldn't dig up the actual figures, but saw statements that alluded to the fact that MOST B1G bands are funded through their Athletic Dept.

I think the U of M marching band is funded by the School of Music, whose pockets aren't quite as deep as the Athletic Dept. I couldn't dig up the actual figures, but saw statements that alluded to the fact that MOST B1G bands are funded through their Athletic Dept.
It would make sense to treat the band similar to how Goldy and the cheer/dance teams are, as parts of the Athletic Dept. The School of Music doesn't have the financial power to fully support the marching band, and while the marching band furthers the PR and marketing of the University as a whole, it isn't a great draw in terms of bringing in talent to the School of Music. I always thought it was interesting (at least a decade ago when I was around the U) that music education majors weren't required to spend a season in the band as marching bands are a huge part of many high school's music departments.

It would make sense to treat the band similar to how Goldy and the cheer/dance teams are, as parts of the Athletic Dept. The School of Music doesn't have the financial power to fully support the marching band, and while the marching band furthers the PR and marketing of the University as a whole, it isn't a great draw in terms of bringing in talent to the School of Music. I always thought it was interesting (at least a decade ago when I was around the U) that music education majors weren't required to spend a season in the band as marching bands are a huge part of many high school's music departments.

TCU requires music majors to spend time in the band and it killed the membership numbers, because not all music majors want to AND then people think you have to be a music major to join the band.

Also I don't think becoming part of the athletics department will actually help finding at all, since their reason for not funding us isn't "You're not in our department", just my opinion though.

Other bands like Wisconsinhave a huge donor base that funnels through the university, so I think it skews the numbers a bit.

I just do not understand why the band cannot at least appear in Iowa City every other year. I cannot cost that much to get the band to Iowa City and promote the U of M Brand for a TV audience and for those in Iowa City.

My recollection is that the band has not travelled since they went to Iowa City in one of the early Mason years. Maybe I'll get to see the band in a Big Ten stadium before I die, if am lucky, since we cannot fund four Motorcoach buses for a 500 mile round trip and a few box lunches. I think the band can handle a bare bones trip to Iowa City. My god, the Ohio State band rode on a bus for 10-12hours each way with one night in a hotel to play at TCF in 2010. Our band does not even need a hotel night to play at Iowa City, and I doubt if any of the members care, they would just like to have a road trip.

Hotel costs are not in play here, just gasoline and some food.

Iowa City is a 4 hour plus, 70 MPH bus ride from MSP with no traffic in the early AM, and the band members could deal with sleeping and studying on the buses. The U of M had no problem putting the band on a 15 hour bus ride to Nashville twice, so the Iowa City thing should happen.

I could say the same thing about Madison, but apparently the U of Wis. makes it almost impossible for a visiting band to go to Camp Randall, and no, it is not the drunken UW fans that are the problem. The UW is hostile to even entertaining the appearance of a visiting band. Until the U of M band plays on the field at Camp Randall, the UW Badger Band should never be allowed to return to Minneapolis.
We
The band promotes the image of the U of M very well and should appear on ESPN or the BTN and prop up the team and fans on the road once every year. The cost would be tiny compared to other expenditures. We are not talking about Airbus 320s and multiple nights in hotels.

P.S. Where has the Iowa Band been? They have not been to Minneapolis since the infamous 2002 game which is very strange.

IMO we should send a pep band. It would only include a balanced band of our best instrumentalists. It's fairly cheap and effective but will require donors. By the time you get done with the cost of the directors, the care of the uniforms (only a cleaning once a year for most after sweating their asses off ever pregame), instrument care, new instruments, facility care, etc. they've exhausted their budget. Anything you usually give these fine folks goes to things they have been neglecting for decades like new instruments.

I just do not understand why the band cannot at least appear in Iowa City every other year. I cannot cost that much to get the band to Iowa City and promote the U of M Brand for a TV audience and for those in Iowa City.

My recollection is that the band has not travelled since they went to Iowa City in one of the early Mason years. Maybe I'll get to see the band in a Big Ten stadium before I die, if am lucky, since we cannot fund four Motorcoach buses for a 500 mile round trip and a few box lunches. I think the band can handle a bare bones trip to Iowa City. My god, the Ohio State band rode on a bus for 10-12hours each way with one night in a hotel to play at TCF in 2010. Our band does not even need a hotel night to play at Iowa City, and I doubt if any of the members care, they would just like to have a road trip.

Hotel costs are not in play here, just gasoline and some food.

Iowa City is a 4 hour plus, 70 MPH bus ride from MSP with no traffic in the early AM, and the band members could deal with sleeping and studying on the buses. The U of M had no problem putting the band on a 15 hour bus ride to Nashville twice, so the Iowa City thing should happen.

I could say the same thing about Madison, but apparently the U of Wis. makes it almost impossible for a visiting band to go to Camp Randall, and no, it is not the drunken UW fans that are the problem. The UW is hostile to even entertaining the appearance of a visiting band. Until the U of M band plays on the field at Camp Randall, the UW Badger Band should never be allowed to return to Minneapolis.
We
The band promotes the image of the U of M very well and should appear on ESPN or the BTN and prop up the team and fans on the road once every year. The cost would be tiny compared to other expenditures. We are not talking about Airbus 320s and multiple nights in hotels.

P.S. Where has the Iowa Band been? They have not been to Minneapolis since the infamous 2002 game which is very strange.

One of the other costs that is often not thought about is that a band may have to buy tickets for each person (I know this is the case with Wisconsin, not sure about elsewhere)

The ticket purchasing situation is simple. If we have been collecting money from teams like Ohio State, Nebraska, NDSU, and South Dakota for their bands to sit in their seats, then we just need to pay the freight for the band to sit in Kinnick, since that is the price of poker, and the money already was collected and our band has not traveled for 18 years.

If schools like Wisconsin are charging for the band to sit in the stadium, and we are not doing the same, then the Badger band, and the Big Ten schools that want to charge for visiting band seating should not be allowed to have their band in TCF ever again until they stop this policy. This problem may be why we have not seen the UW band or the Iowa band in person for many years, which is a shame since visiting bands are great and add a lot of energy. The OSU and Nebraska bands (twice) were great, and we need to find some low rise bleachers to they can be on the field next time and not in the upper deck.

Iowa State always takes their very large band to Kinnick and even brought it to the Metrodome in 1999. It is total BS that our top half the Big Ten band never gets to play on the road in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom