Bloggin' Scoggins: Five observations from Gophers camp

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

I still shake my head when I watch practice at the night-and-day difference in talent and speed in the secondary from a few years ago.

The Gophers could have three defensive backs selected in the NFL Draft next spring, a crazy thought given what we’ve witnessed from Gophers pass defenses in the past.

Their starting group of Murray, Boddy-Calhoun, Travis and Johnson ranks among the best in the Big Ten, if not nationally.

They also have some depth behind them.

Jerry Kill’s staff has done a good job of recruiting to that position and developing players once they join the program. They have a specific idea of what they want in a defensive back. Eric Murray is a perfect example.

Jay Sawvel is a terrific defensive backs coach who likely will get his shot as a defensive coordinator somewhere before long. He’s ready for it.

http://www.startribune.com/five-observations-from-gophers-camp/323046801/

Go Gophers!!

The fact that we had four players drafted in 2015 is a testament to Kill & Co's ability to coach and develop players in all facets.

Jay Sawvel is a terrific defensive backs coach who likely will get his shot as a defensive coordinator somewhere before long. He’s ready for it.

No thank you. I'd like to see him in his position for the next 20 years or so.

That's not gonna happen- Claeys is gonna have to become the HC in waiting or full time asst HC to allow Jay to assume the DC position or he's likely gone in a couple years. He's too young to tolerate being a position coach forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tolerate

That's not gonna happen- Claeys is gonna have to become the HC in waiting or full time asst HC to allow Jay to assume the DC position or he's likely gone in a couple years. He's too young to tolerate being a position coach forever.

The goal of some coaches isn't to be a head coach. Kill has said many times some of his coaches have no desire to be a head coach, seeing what the job responsibilities entail for Jerry.
No idea of Jay's mindset but he is described as "crazy" when it comes to his recruiting travel schedule. That could make an argument in any direction, just as most signals.

We know this: he is a really good defensive backs coach that is able to find and develop players at the top levels of his profession. We also know he has been with Jerry Kill for 14 or 15 years and he makes a very nice living, living in a great area to raise a family.

I don't think it's a given he leaves to be a head coach or at all but what about adding an NFL defensive backs coach opportunity to the list of things to worry about?

Selfishly, hope he stays...the job he has done is amazing!

My take on Sawvel is that in addition to being a great recruiter, evaluator, and coach - he is incredibly driven. Everything you hear about his recruiting is about how driven he is. Those characteristics and his track record virtually guarantee he will have opportunities to move up sooner rather than later. If that is of interest to him, he's gone. My guess is someone that driven has dreams of bigger/better things.

To add to this, any insight on how this would unfold? If Claeys was to become headcoach, what would have to happen first? Obviosuly the U would have to sign off on it, and the team would have to be doing well under JK. But, how would it transpire that he would be offered a "coach in waiting" job, and how/when would the fans find out about it? I think this is a real possibility, and am curious as to how it would work. I'm thinking about the Bowden/Fisher situation where EVERYONE knew that Fisher was the next guy years before Bowden left.

The best thing about our young receivers might be the fact that they get to practice against our secondary every day. It must be a great feeling to know that on game day you will often be facing easier opposition than you do in practice.

the kids love JS.

sawvel is the players favorite coach and its not even close. The staff needs to maintain that touchstone coach for numerous reasons.

My take on Sawvel is that in addition to being a great recruiter, evaluator, and coach - he is incredibly driven. Everything you hear about his recruiting is about how driven he is. Those characteristics and his track record virtually guarantee he will have opportunities to move up sooner rather than later. If that is of interest to him, he's gone. My guess is someone that driven has dreams of bigger/better things.

I feel the same way about Sawvel. With the number of DB's that are likely to get drafted he will get a lot of attention this year, it won't surprise me at all if some nice offers start to come his way this off-season. I could be totally wrong on his career aspirations but he strikes me as a future head coach and in order to get there he needs to move up the ranks some. It would not shock me if he is running a defense as early as next season and as much as I would love to see him stay the only way I really see that happening is if Claeys moves on to a HC role somewhere else.

I think much of Kill's staff is content to stay at the position coach role but Sawvel has always struck me as one who was destined for bigger and better things.

I feel the same way about Sawvel. With the number of DB's that are likely to get drafted he will get a lot of attention this year, it won't surprise me at all if some nice offers start to come his way this off-season. I could be totally wrong on his career aspirations but he strikes me as a future head coach and in order to get there he needs to move up the ranks some. It would not shock me if he is running a defense as early as next season and as much as I would love to see him stay the only way I really see that happening is if Claeys moves on to a HC role somewhere else.

I think much of Kill's staff is content to stay at the position coach role but Sawvel has always struck me as one who was destined for bigger and better things.

Agreed. We're going to have to make Sawvel one of the highest paid assistants in the conference (maybe the country) soon and even that might not be enough eventually. Enjoy him while he's here. Let's hope he's one of those guys that just absolutely loves to be a DB coach and doesn't want anything else, but I don't think that's the case.

If Sawvel leaves would that open the door for Tyrone Carter to take his spot? Those 2 Super Bowl rings would look even better on a recruiting visit.

College coaches bounce around all the time. The fact that Jay has stayed with Kill this long says something. Maybe he leaves, maybe he doesn't.

Top Bottom