Shama: Bet on Beth Goetz for U AD Position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Although public speculation regarding candidates for the vacant Gophers athletic director position is a list of almost all males, the prediction here is the next AD will be a woman.

When University president Eric Kaler named Beth Goetz interim athletic director earlier this month the appointment certainly didn’t go unnoticed by federal investigators and others involved with enforcing gender equity. And appointing Goetz, who served as Teague’s No. 1 assistant, is a reminder the University has been proactive in the past regarding hiring opportunities for women and minorities within the athletic department, and is certain to continue on that path.

It’s a good bet Kaler sees the Gophers vacancy as an opportunity to write more history at Minnesota and in the Big Ten. He’s given Goetz, 41, a chance to lead the athletic department for awhile, and perhaps permanently. He told MPR on August 19 he doesn’t anticipate “ramping up” the search for a new AD until late next winter or early spring, with the goal of having a permanent person in the role by July 1. That timeline would certainly provide lengthy evaluation of Goetz who has been at Minnesota since March of 2013.

Kaler knows he’s got a good thing in Kill and while he’s likely to listen to the coach’s input, the decision as to the next AD will probably be mostly his and a couple of astute advisers (hopefully with expertise in business and athletics). Unless something unusual happens with Goetz, I doubt he will turn to Taylor or some other outside candidate. The hope of Kaler will be that Goetz and Kill forge a solid working relationship in the months ahead. That will be an important factor on the path to what could be a permanent Goetz hire.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

This was my thought from the day she was named the "interim" AD. I hope she's good, because I think all of this "stuff" going on makes it likely the hire will be a woman.

I hope she proves to be great and the U keeps her. Stability at the top might be an important factor in the facilities upgrades. If it also helps make the U more conscious of potential Title 9 issues, it would be a big plus as well. Let's hope she's the answer.

per Jason Gonzalez:

It appears patience will be the theme of what is expected to be a long hiring process.

“As far as a new athletic director, hardly any discussion has been held,” said Dean Johnson, chair of the Board of Regents. “I’ve hardly talked to the president and board members about it. We’re in the ‘cleaning the porch’ mode right now.”

Three weeks have passed since Teague resigned following two complaints of sexual harassment at the university, admitting then to “inappropriate” and “offensive behavior.”

Multiple sources told the Star Tribune the process is likely to extend through the football and basketball seasons, leaving interim athletic director Beth Goetz at the helm until at least the spring. The timing of the search runs against the high-profile fall and winter sports seasons, when current athletic directors and top administrators often don’t switch schools.

In the past three weeks, the school has begun the process of hiring outside investigators to look into Teague’s behavior, announced over $1 million in raises for four coaches, and once again delayed the proposed $190 million athletics village. Two fall sports have kicked off their seasons, and a prime-time football opener looms Thursday.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-a-d-search-not-yet-off-the-ground/323170971/

Go Gophers!!

From the Gonzalez article (the last 2 paragraphs):

'Several donors said they’d prefer someone with Minnesota connections, selected without the help of an external search firm. Kaler told WCCO Radio (830-AM) this week that hiring someone with Minnesota ties would be a consideration, but not the deciding factor. He said that a search firm would likely be used in some fashion.

“The guy they lost is not a big deal to any of us [donors],” said major donor Dick Ames, founder of Ames Construction. “The big deal to us who they replace him with, and we know that’s going to take time. I might [give more] if I had more to give and [once we see] who they hire, maybe. That will be a big deal to the boosters.”'

Barreiro jokes about him being here for 29 years and still being an outsider. How long do you have to be here until you are considered having connections?

Goetz is not a Jenny come lately, she has been here for almost 2.5 years running the department's day to day duties. If an executive can't get the lay of the land in that time, he or she won't be effective. In her interviews on local TV & BTN it seems she has a plan and the in booster meetings today she will be able to lay those plans on the table.

From the Gonzalez article (the last 2 paragraphs):

'Several donors said they’d prefer someone with Minnesota connections, selected without the help of an external search firm. Kaler told WCCO Radio (830-AM) this week that hiring someone with Minnesota ties would be a consideration, but not the deciding factor. He said that a search firm would likely be used in some fashion.

“The guy they lost is not a big deal to any of us [donors],” said major donor Dick Ames, founder of Ames Construction. “The big deal to us who they replace him with, and we know that’s going to take time. I might [give more] if I had more to give and [once we see] who they hire, maybe. That will be a big deal to the boosters.”'

Barreiro jokes about him being here for 29 years and still being an outsider. How long do you have to be here until you are considered having connections?

Goetz is not a Jenny come lately, she has been here for almost 2.5 years running the department's day to day duties. If an executive can't get the lay of the land in that time, he or she won't be effective. In her interviews on local TV & BTN it seems she has a plan and the in booster meetings today she will be able to lay those plans on the table.

Barreiro is still an outsider because he fashions himself as one. It's a self-fulfilling thing. There are people who come to live here who become like natives very quickly.

Barreiro is still an outsider because he fashions himself as one. It's a self-fulfilling thing. There are people who come to live here who become like natives very quickly.

I think Barreiro plays up the "outsider" thing as a jab at the Dick Ameses of the world.

Top Bottom