Shama: Bet on Beth Goetz for U AD Position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Although public speculation regarding candidates for the vacant Gophers athletic director position is a list of almost all males, the prediction here is the next AD will be a woman.

When University president Eric Kaler named Beth Goetz interim athletic director earlier this month the appointment certainly didn’t go unnoticed by federal investigators and others involved with enforcing gender equity. And appointing Goetz, who served as Teague’s No. 1 assistant, is a reminder the University has been proactive in the past regarding hiring opportunities for women and minorities within the athletic department, and is certain to continue on that path.

It’s a good bet Kaler sees the Gophers vacancy as an opportunity to write more history at Minnesota and in the Big Ten. He’s given Goetz, 41, a chance to lead the athletic department for awhile, and perhaps permanently. He told MPR on August 19 he doesn’t anticipate “ramping up” the search for a new AD until late next winter or early spring, with the goal of having a permanent person in the role by July 1. That timeline would certainly provide lengthy evaluation of Goetz who has been at Minnesota since March of 2013.

Kaler knows he’s got a good thing in Kill and while he’s likely to listen to the coach’s input, the decision as to the next AD will probably be mostly his and a couple of astute advisers (hopefully with expertise in business and athletics). Unless something unusual happens with Goetz, I doubt he will turn to Taylor or some other outside candidate. The hope of Kaler will be that Goetz and Kill forge a solid working relationship in the months ahead. That will be an important factor on the path to what could be a permanent Goetz hire.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I've had thoughts along this line for awhile, Goetz and Kill have worked together for sometime and seem to like each other, another factor to consider is that I don't believe any of the prime outside candidates would be that interested.

I have no confidence in Kaler, who falls for all the feminist nonsense, like the sexual consent forms that is bringing on due process lawsuits all over the nation. Goetz would be such a hopelessly PC, Minnesota-nice, affirmative action decision. She doesn't have a fraction of the MN contacts in sports and the business world that a football man would have. She's only been at Minnesota two years - it makes no sense except as a huge PC gesture, of which Minnesota, as a state, has had far too much of in recent decades.

I have no confidence in Kaler, who falls for all the feminist nonsense, like the sexual consent forms that is bringing on due process lawsuits all over the nation. Goetz would be such a hopelessly PC, Minnesota-nice, affirmative action decision. She doesn't have a fraction of the MN contacts in sports and the business world that a football man would have. She's only been at Minnesota two years - it makes no sense except as a huge PC gesture, of which Minnesota, as a state, has had far too much of in recent decades.

Bull****!!!!

If you want contacts, hire a CEO from a local corporation (the Michigan model).

I want someone who can run an athletic department without violations, lawsuits, letting coaches put in a player who had a concussion (Hoke should have been fired after the Gopher game for mishandling Morris). If Goetz can develop the contacts in her year as interim AD, she should keep the job.

I don't think Kaler will be around to make the decision. His clock is ticking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want an AD that is a proven leader who sets goals for programs to improve, holds coaches accountable to those goals (and a code of conduct) and makes moves when people are under performing. Maybe that's Beth, I don't think we've seen enough to know, my fear is that she will be indebted to the board and Kaler for handing her a job she didn't earn or win and will be stuck as an administrator not a leader because she will be looking over her shoulder for input from Kaler and company on all major decisions.

Bull****!!!!

If you want contacts, hire a CEO from a local corporation (the Michigan model).

I want someone who can run an athletic department without violations, lawsuits, letting coaches put in a player who had a concussion (Hoke should have been fired after the Gopher game for mishandling Morris). If Goetz can develop the contacts in her year as interim AD, she should keep the job.

The problem with making a PC hire is that the individual often feels the need to prove themselves, and run things in a different way than they normally would, proving they can stand up to coaches, etc. Also, who are her influences at the U? If she gets it and can help build the football program, great. If she's not, and is influenced by the fairness lobby, she'll be a bad AD.
If she makes contacts you'd hire her? Thank goodness you aren't making the decision.

Yeah I hate this for several reasons, which is why I wouldn't be surprise in least if it actually happened.

Rumor from inside the AD this is Beth's to lose. My guess is she will the next AD.

Wow! That's the best you can come up with?

I just want someone who knows and understands the importance of football and will make it their #1 priority that the program have every available resource to complete in the upper tier of the conference.

This makes no sense. Kaler has been doing a very credible, above-average, job of leading the University overall. Norwood Teague being an idiot is not going to cause him his job. He is in good standing with the regents.

I don't think Kaler will be around to make the decision. His clock is ticking.

Are you kidding?! Have you forgotten about him stonewalling the auditor on the Markingson (spelling) suicide? Not to mention his "overserved" comment, his less than five more people coming forward comment, his unwillingness to take responsibility for Teague's hire until just recently. What is so great about what he's done? He's in hot water!

Part of me thinks this is just the media planting seeds so they can harvest their false outrage when she's not hired.

Note: I have no idea if she would make a good AD or not, and my hunch says the media doesn't either.

The problem with making a PC hire is that the individual often feels the need to prove themselves, and run things in a different way than they normally would, proving they can stand up to coaches, etc. Also, who are her influences at the U? If she gets it and can help build the football program, great. If she's not, and is influenced by the fairness lobby, she'll be a bad AD.
If she makes contacts you'd hire her? Thank goodness you aren't making the decision.

Right. Whatever we do, never make progress. Ever. On anything. We should probably just turn back the clock. Cut all women's sports. For that matter, they shouldn't be wasting their time at a university, anyway. While we're at it, let's fire any coach who isn't white. Because, obviously, they were hired because it's the PC thing to do. Hell, while we're at it, why are we letting anyone but white folk play the sport in the first place? Allowing anyone else to play is just the PC thing to do. It gets us good publicity, but that's it.

Right. Whatever we do, never make progress. Ever. On anything. We should probably just turn back the clock. Cut all women's sports. For that matter, they shouldn't be wasting their time at a university, anyway. While we're at it, let's fire any coach who isn't white. Because, obviously, they were hired because it's the PC thing to do. Hell, while we're at it, why are we letting anyone but white folk play the sport in the first place? Allowing anyone else to play is just the PC thing to do. It gets us good publicity, but that's it.

Lol. I'm in favor of hiring people for one reason- merit. My main problem with PC hiring is that it calls into question any minority hiring and harms minorities. If Beth goetz is the best candidate for the job, hire her. I haven't seen anything that suggests she is, but make that case. I have no problem with female athletics but I have a huge problem with title ix

I love how things like this bring out so many experts on what makes for a qualified AD and a qualified President of the University.

So many armchair quarterbacks.

I love how things like this bring out so many experts on what makes for a qualified AD and a qualified President of the University. So many armchair quarterbacks.
But the view is so clear as I gaze down from my ivory tower!

Reading this thread just makes me see the need more and more for a Trump presidency. Women who are just as qualified as men should have the same opportunity and pay. This one is not qualified. She was right there at the top of the food chain while there was a hostile work environment/sexual harassment issues ongoing. Clean house. She was part of that. There's no way that she didn't know.

Her resume doesn't compare with who we should be looking at. If she wasn't a female no one would be interested.

Is there even a female AD at a D1 school? I don't see how we can hire an AD that hasn't even played high school football. This isn't a commentator job on ESPN2.

Reading this thread just makes me see the need more and more for a Trump presidency. Women who are just as qualified as men should have the same opportunity and pay. This one is not qualified. She was right there at the top of the food chain while there was a hostile work environment/sexual harassment issues ongoing. Clean house. She was part of that. There's no way that she didn't know. Her resume doesn't compare with who we should be looking at. If she wasn't a female no one would be interested. Is there even a female AD at a D1 school? I don't see how we can hire an AD that hasn't even played high school football. This isn't a commentator job on ESPN2.

Hooray! A candidate for a good blocking!

U might as well say that she needs to do a pole dance before being hired, I say sarcastically.

Speculatively speaking, to fit the norm around here, the net AD will be the best candidate hired. Somebody who was well enough qualified to be the nest associate AD two years ago is probably smart enough, well spoken enough, and connected enough to understand the global needs of the department. We are not talking about recruiting athletes only from Minnesota but from Kenya, the Baltics, and Asia. Maybe she will even understand the alumni exist outside the state as well. And, as U alum reside globally, and work for corporations all over the globe that revenue can come from anywhere as well. In terms of donation , how hard is it to to shake the hands of the donor and develop a message and a vision to get things moving? It isn't a mysterious process. In fact, if she telecommuted from Rochester, New York she could work the position just fine, third millennium speaking.

I have a feeling she would be a Jerry Kill type hire. She has about six more months to show she has it. If rumors are even remotely true that Teague got the job because no one wanted it, then why not Goetz?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reading this thread just makes me see the need more and more for a Trump presidency. Women who are just as qualified as men should have the same opportunity and pay. This one is not qualified. She was right there at the top of the food chain while there was a hostile work environment/sexual harassment issues ongoing. Clean house. She was part of that. There's no way that she didn't know.

Her resume doesn't compare with who we should be looking at. If she wasn't a female no one would be interested.

Is there even a female AD at a D1 school? I don't see how we can hire an AD that hasn't even played high school football. This isn't a commentator job on ESPN2.

The end of this has some of the dumbest ****ing logic I have read on here.

Wow. The experts sure are displaying their stupidity in this thread.

None of you know how Goetz will handle the job, but so many assume she can't handle it and is only being considered because of PC. Who do you think was handling many of the day to day responsibilities of the AD office over the last couple of years?

Just stop jumping to conclusions that fit your pre-conceived biases and let the situation play out. The U will not hire Goetz unless she can handle the job.

Wow, some very interesting opinions on Beth's potential candidacy. I've only met her once and know nothing about her other than reports that she's quite highly regarded by those who work with her. Sounds like she'll have an opportunity to actually prove her competence during her interim stint. I'd like to see her do well. But I can certainly understand some of your stated concerns, like the fact that she's a woman and probably never even played high school football.

Top Bottom