My Leidner expectations for the TCU game

wait!what?

Reaction score
6-17 for 82 yds. 3 sacks and 2 ints. I'll leave the rushing yds a blank space but my hope is he runs for about 125 yds.

That's essentially what he did against Ohio State (7-19 for 85 yards, 2 interceptions) and Wisconsin (5-18 for 95 yards, 0 interceptions) so it may not be that far off, if he hasn't improved much in the offseason. Would be nice if it was closer to the Nebraska stat line (8-17 for 135, added 111 yards on the ground).

I gotta balance this out a little

6-17 for 82 yds. 3 sacks and 2 ints. I'll leave the rushing yds a blank space but my hope is he runs for about 125 yds.

16 for 27, 221 yards, 0 INT, 72 yards Rushing ---- Gopher Victory We got several candidates to bust at least one.

My prediction is that you will surpass Gopher Warrior after the game as the worst prognosticator since he predicted the demise of Jerry Kill. Congratulations, I know you have worked hard to achieve this honor.:rolleyes:

14-16, 225 TDS, 2-TDs, 0-INTs, enters the Heisman race. Gophers Win.

11-17 for 170 yards, 1TD, 1 INT. 56 yards rushing on 13 attempts 1 TD.
70 yards will come on a YAC quick screen.
It won't matter because our rushing game will run the ball 50 times en route to an exciting finish.

Honestly he could go 35-36 500 yards 5 TD 0 INT with 150 yards rushing and 3 TDS and someone would still be complaining Perra is better.

My only hope, and coach limegrover I hope you're reading, is to not run that worthless empty backfield obvious QB draw. It never works. What they should do, and I would be thrilled if they did, is take a page from OSU and fake the QB draw in that situation and throw the ball downfield.

Can he hit the deep ball?

When given a clean pocket and time to throw, yes. He can be inconsistent but I would say passing the ball down field is probably his biggest strength if we're talking strictly passing.

My only hope, and coach limegrover I hope you're reading, is to not run that worthless empty backfield obvious QB draw. It never works. What they should do, and I would be thrilled if they did, is take a page from OSU and fake the QB draw in that situation and throw the ball downfield.

Like this? 1:53:55. http://youtu.be/2ed_GAEAQlM

Any play where we spread out their defense is going to increase our chances of positive yardage. Run and pass.

Like this? 1:53:55. http://youtu.be/2ed_GAEAQlM

Any play where we spread out their defense is going to increase our chances of positive yardage. Run and pass.

That was Streveler not Mitch, in garbage time. I've rewatched a lot of games this summer and it is incredibly obvious to me what the play is going to be when the rb sprints wide. It doesn't work. I haven't seen us ever pass out of it or do something different, and Mitch never fakes the run and throws.

14-16, 225 TDS, 2-TDs, 0-INTs, enters the Heisman race. Gophers Win.

Heisman race cemented when he gets a receiving touchdown on a trick play lateral to Streveler in the flat, pass back to Leidner at the 5 who then hurdles 4 guys to dagger TCU 21-7. :) WOOOTTT!!!!

My expectation is that Leidner have zero turnovers, no INT's no fumbles. Gophers have to be plus in the turnover battle in order to win the game. This means Mitch above anyone else must protect the football. The five turnovers by the team last year killed them in Fort Worth.

When given a clean pocket and time to throw, yes. He can be inconsistent but I would say passing the ball down field is probably his biggest strength if we're talking strictly passing.

I see, that could change the game if he has the time.

That was Streveler not Mitch, in garbage time. I've rewatched a lot of games this summer and it is incredibly obvious to me what the play is going to be when the rb sprints wide. It doesn't work. I haven't seen us ever pass out of it or do something different, and Mitch never fakes the run and throws.

That was Streveler?? Oh man, thank you! /s

It may be true that play has been garbage on other occasions, but so is every play if the execution isnt there. He could have thrown a swing pass to Berkeley, but he saw a gap and ran. It doesn't matter if it was garbage time. You think Patterson would allow his D to go soft with 11 something minutes in that game? There was still time for anything to happen in that game. Garbage time my ass. Those were starters out there and he would have kicked their butts all over the field if they weren't showing maximum effort.

Gophers win on a Leidner jump pass touchdown to Jeff Jones.

That was Streveler?? Oh man, thank you! /s

It may be true that play has been garbage on other occasions, but so is every play if the execution isnt there. He could have thrown a swing pass to Berkeley, but he saw a gap and ran. It doesn't matter if it was garbage time. You think Patterson would allow his D to go soft with 11 something minutes in that game? There was still time for anything to happen in that game. Garbage time my ass. Those were starters out there and he would have kicked their butts all over the field if they weren't showing maximum effort.

Streveler is a little better runner than Mitch.
Here's my point. If I can predict the play before it happens, it's a bad play. And that play is very easy to predict. And it doesn't work.
I'm real glad you combed through a season to find a 9 yard run, but it doesn't prove the point wrong.

It proved your point wrong.

My only hope, and coach limegrover I hope you're reading, is to not run that worthless empty backfield obvious QB draw. It never works.

0 turnovers, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles, for Matt Leidner.

Leidner 0-0, 0 yards. Croft 14-18 180 yards 2 TDs; 1 running, 1 passing

I haven't seen us ever pass out of it or do something different, and Mitch never fakes the run and throws.

Go to 1:02:20 of the same game. Now you've seen us pass out of it.

Go to 1:02:20 of the same game. Now you've seen us pass out of it.

That proved my point wrong, but it was slightly different.

I'm surprised so many people think the mitch qb draw is a winner, but ok, the angry mob has spoken.

Not trying to be angry, I'm just real worried we are going to be stubborn and trot out power and zone running plays with 10 defenders in/near the box like last year. TCU has the speed to close on those plays in great numbers and disrupt the blocking. Our horses weren't as quick or strong as theirs last year. Hoping for more variety from Limegrover, and hoping to utilize our new toys at WR a little more, Berkeley's speed, etc.

First game of the season against the #2 team in the nation. Leidner, if he's like the past, will be so nervous and over-pumped that he'll be tossing screen passes into the third row seats. If he hasn't learned how to secure the ball as a runner, he'll have two or three fumbles by half-time.

I have no faith in Mitch Leidner until I actually see him provide positive yardage for the Gophers next Thursday night. Until then, he's still the guy who ranked as one of the worst passers in the B1G last season.

Now, hopefully Mitch will show us all how much he's improved and I'll be thrilled to say he's the QB of the Minnesota Gophers. I can't say that until I see it happen in a meaningful game.

Top Bottom