TCU Newcomers Need To Fill Holes on Defense

Iceland12

Reaction score
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...newcomers-need-to-fill-holes-on-defense.html/

1. Mike Freeze, LB, Graham. TCU’s going to need a pair of true freshmen to have a big impact at linebacker from opening night. That starts with Mike Freeze. The Graham native never played linebacker before arriving at TCU, but has drawn a ton of praise from coach Gary Patterson and members of the defense. He enrolled early to learn the position and found himself atop the depth chart at middle linebacker when the spring ended. Freeze is a gamble at linebacker, and if things don’t work out, the Frogs are going to be in trouble.

2. Alec Dunham, LB, Coldspring-Oakhurst. With the Frogs needing to replace their top three linebackers, it can’t just be Freeze that steps up immediately. Alec Dunham also enrolled early and is in position to get a good amount of playing time this season. He isn’t slated to start just yet, but the three-star recruit will be just as important as Freeze as the game and season wears on.

3. DeShawn Raymond, CB, East Jefferson (Metairie, La.) The Horned Frogs’ secondary will have just as many issues as the linebackers, but TCU’s top recruit from 2015 may be able to patch up a few holes. DeShawn Raymond enrolled in the spring and will be a nice young compliment to an older group of cornerbacks trying to play opposite Ranthony Texada. Raymond was a four-star recruit from Louisiana and will be a great weapon in a pass-heavy Big 12

Well it seems that the writers down in Texas have the same issues with youth on defense that I've been pointing out. The TCU fans keep saying that it's nothing to worry about.

Considering they run a 4-2-5 defense, they only need 2 guys to step up

I think this is our biggest opportunity to move the ball against TCU. They have some newcomers in the back 7. If Limegrover can come up with some things that confuse them we could capitalize with some big plays in the passing game or with some misdirection in the run game. I don't think a power running game up the middle with the occasional play-action is going to get the job done.

We have to run well enough to make their SS/LB play more as a linebacker and defend the run. If you don't you're throwing against nickel all the time.

I think this is our biggest opportunity to move the ball against TCU. They have some newcomers in the back 7. If Limegrover can come up with some things that confuse them we could capitalize with some big plays in the passing game or with some misdirection in the run game. I don't think a power running game up the middle with the occasional play-action is going to get the job done.
We strove for an identity in 2013, established it pretty well last year, and now, I hope, we can add another layer/threat to the offense and stress any defense we play. I'm sure TCU is talented, but also hope we can exploit their inexperience with motion and formation variety.

I Agree

What was the game we shifted and motioned people non stop? Very effective that day...seems like TCU is an inexperienced group that it might cause problems for.

What was the game we shifted and motioned people non stop? Very effective that day...seems like TCU is an inexperienced group that it might cause problems for.
Nebraska, I believe.

I think you're thinking of Nebraska 2013. They seriously didn't know what hit them.

Top Bottom