Funny at TCU's boards

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
Some TCU fans seem convinced that the weather is going to play a part in this game.

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?/topic/193388-interesting-forecast-for-minneapolis/

Everywhere I have looked has next Thursday as one of the warmest days there in over a week. If it holds, the temp will be in the 80's at kickoff. Second half in the 70's. But it looks to be humid, though. That should help a little.

Somebody explain why normal weather would help TCU. Do they still think we live in igloos?

I can't get over the guy who thinks it'll be upper 80s at kickoff! It's going to be a very comfortable temp to watch a game and without sun it's not going to be overly hot. And of course weather predictions are worthless this far out.

I can't get over the guy who thinks it'll be upper 80s at kickoff! It's going to be a very comfortable temp to watch a game and without sun it's not going to be overly hot. And of course weather predictions are worthless this far out.

Not true. We are 8 days out and all the models are in good consensus showing a dominant ridge of high pressure over the eastern half of the U.S. It's going to be warm and humid, book it.

Teams and fans of Southern teams always seem to have the same misconception. They are convinced that since Minnesota plays many games in the cold, and their teams always play badly in the cold because they are use to the heat, that the Gophers will always wilt in the heat. You know, because they never play in the heat.

Odd that they never seem to notice that training camp is in August. When it's usually very hot and humid. Must think that it's below zero then too..

Advantage TCU: No knife-wielding polar bears.

Not true. We are 8 days out and all the models are in good consensus showing a dominant ridge of high pressure over the eastern half of the U.S. It's going to be warm and humid, book it.

Youd know better than me, I'm just relying on experience. We'll see.

Yes! I lived in Texas for 2 years, and there really are some people there who think Minneapolis is frozen year-round!

I lived in Ohio for two years. People would ask me if Mn was all mountains.

I was on hold with Dish Network the other day. The woman was trying to make small talk while we waited for something. I asked where the call station was, to which she said El Paso, TX. She noticed I live in MN and says, "Has it snowed up there yet?" To which I reply, "Yes, all the time, but it melts before it hits the ground because it's 90 degrees outside." She was very quiet after that. Still trying to decide if she got that I was poking fun at her and she was pissed, if she was confused with my response, or if she believed me as if that's what the weather does in our foreign world of the North!!

If this was a Saturday afternoon game with high temps in the upper 80's to lower 90's and dews in the 67-70°, that would be a solid factor in TCU's favor. However with a 8pm kickoff time the advantage should be mitigated.

People down here don't realize that when the sun goes down, the temps fall pretty quickly as well. I've been seeing the low that night around 68, if I'm right, sounds about perfect to me. I've been telling my TCU friends to bring a long sleeve to put under their tshirts because by halftime they will be chilly...no one wants to believe me. OK, go ahead and be cold then, don't listen to the guy who grew up in Iowa (Iowa State, not eastern iowa university), we'll be leaving here Wednesday at 97 degrees...I may pack five or six long sleeves and sell them to the whiners when they want one.

There continues to be a very common opinion over there that last year's game involved TCU pulling back in the second half as not to embarrass the Gophers. No mention of 5 turnovers, but plenty of opinions suggesting the score was something TCU chose.

There continues to be a very common opinion over there that last year's game involved TCU pulling back in the second half as not to embarrass the Gophers. No mention of 5 turnovers, but plenty of opinions suggesting the score was something TCU chose.

I noticed that too. I suggest they re-watch the 2nd half.

I always laugh at this statement after they played their starting quarterback the entire game. I can just see Patterson taking Boykin aside at half-time and saying, "Jerry Kill is my buddy. He stood up for me at my wedding. Let's let up a little on this guy so we don't embarrass him. How about running half speed and on the passing plays, close your eyes and put it up for grabs. Jerry is such a nice guy, we need to do this for him." /sarcasm

Having coached, this is the last thing you want to do. You're taught that wearing your school's jersey and playing football for them is a privilege not to be taken lightly. Giving anything less than 100% is an ideal way to get injured and it sets a bad precedence for the team. Those that say that they let up have most likely never played competitive football.

I'm not sure how the weather gives TCU an advantage. It's not like Fort Worth is more humid than the Twin Cities. It's hotter but if the game temps are in the 70s to low 80s I don't see it as a factor. Do they sweat less?

People down here don't realize that when the sun goes down, the temps fall pretty quickly as well. I've been seeing the low that night around 68, if I'm right, sounds about perfect to me. I've been telling my TCU friends to bring a long sleeve to put under their tshirts because by halftime they will be chilly...no one wants to believe me. OK, go ahead and be cold then, don't listen to the guy who grew up in Iowa (Iowa State, not eastern iowa university), we'll be leaving here Wednesday at 97 degrees...I may pack five or six long sleeves and sell them to the whiners when they want one.

Do Texans get chilly in 70-degree weather? Overnight lows are usually around 4 or 5am, my guess is if we're high in the upper 80s and low in the upper 60s the coldest it will get during the game would be around 75 or so, with temps closer to mid-80s at kickoff. It's gonna be warm.

I'm not sure how the weather gives TCU an advantage. It's not like Fort Worth is more humid than the Twin Cities. It's hotter but if the game temps are in the 70s to low 80s I don't see it as a factor. Do they sweat less?

Is this sarcasm? Dallas is more humid than the Twin Cities. You realize how much closer Dallas is to the Gulf of Mexico right? Game time temperature should be around 82, with a dewpoint around 65. That is close to a typical morning low at Dallas during the summer months.

People around the country are clueless on Minnesota weather. Only people in Moscow can truly appreciate the average temperature change from summer to winter we have in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Just make 'em buy one at the souvenir stands. But to be fair, it does not cool off significantly at night during a typical TX summer ( at least the 4 years I lived down there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this sarcasm? Dallas is more humid than the Twin Cities. You realize how much closer Dallas is to the Gulf of Mexico right? Game time temperature should be around 82, with a dewpoint around 65. That is close to a typical morning low at Dallas during the summer months.
While I will agree with everyone else around here saying that people don't know about our weather up here it must be said that we aren't completely familiar with other locations as well.

When my wife moved up here from Houston her new co-workers were warning her about the heat and humidity we have here in the summer. :)
If you haven't been down to Texas or the South in the summer (and I still haven't) you don't know what it's like. Sure, we have our one week/weekend/day that it might be just as brutal but it's not for weeks/months at a time.

Opponent over confidence is usually a good thing, and, in my opinion, to be encouraged. By and large, though, I have found the TCU fans to be respectful. Our Badger friends could learn from them.

The biggest issue in my life right now is the lack of a knife wielding polar bear icon on my phone.

Posted in another thread, but worthy of this one too.

tOAGLzA.png

I just looked at charts of average humidity and dewpoint and they're pretty close.

Ft Worth
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30045/Dallas-Fort-Worth-Texas-United-States

Minneapolis
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30956/Minneapolis-Minnesota-United-States

This is your area of expertise so I will cede the point.

I'm still trying to figure out why they think that normal Minnesota weather favors TCU.

I just looked at charts of average humidity and dewpoint and they're pretty close.

Ft Worth
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30045/Dallas-Fort-Worth-Texas-United-States

Minneapolis
https://weatherspark.com/averages/30956/Minneapolis-Minnesota-United-States

This is your area of expertise so I will cede the point.

Ignore humidity, and focus on dew point which is the main driver of how it 'feels' outside. It starts to feel less comfortable when the dew point rises above 60, and it becomes tropical when the dew point reaches 70+. DFW averages 70+ dew point for all 3 summer months, while temperatures average in the mid-upper 90s. DFW also averages a 60+ dew point for nearly 6 months.

Meanwhile MSP never averages a 70+ dew point, and only averages a 60+ dew point for 2 1/2 months. That's a HUGE difference.

I'm still trying to figure out why they think that normal Minnesota weather favors TCU.

The forecast calls for temperatures typical of mid July in MN, not early September. Whereas the same temperature would be typical for DFW in mid September, so that's probably why TCU fans feel they have an advantage. Overall, I don't think weather will play a role in this game whatsoever.

Top Bottom