Souhan: Proficient passer still on Kill's wish list

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

Kill has built the proverbial strong foundation at Minnesota. He has energized the state. He has made fall Saturdays a reason to hope, rather than a reason to cringe.

Atop that strong foundation is a passing game that couldn’t be any more ’70s if it featured earth tones, shag carpeting, lava lamps and a new video game called Pong.

Leidner is a powerful runner. His teammates call him a leader.

“I like to characterize last year as his freshman year, because it was his first year taking over the quarterback position and honoring that role,” said cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun. “Last year was when he made his big mistakes — and had his big triumphs. I expect him to come back this year and make smart decisions and not turn the ball over so much.”

Leadership is nice. Accuracy is better. Leidner’s 51.5 completion percentage was last among Big Ten starters with at least 200 attempts last year.

Kill has built a physically tough team. The next step in the program’s development is dependent on the Gophers’ adoption of that new trend in football, the reliably completed forward pass.

http://www.startribune.com/proficient-passer-still-on-kill-s-wish-list/322905911/

Go Gophers!!

the fans are aware that Mitcheroo is not good when throwing the ball.

Souhan can take a long walk off a short pier. Never forget.

Even those who admire him most can’t believe that he should keep coaching major college football after his latest episode. Either the stress of the job is further damaging his health, or his health was in such disrepair that he shouldn’t have been hired to coach in the Big Ten in the first place.

The face of your program can’t belong to someone who may be rushed to the hospital at any moment of any game, or practice, or news conference. No one who buys a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium should be rewarded with the sight of a middle-aged man writhing on the ground. This is not how you compete for sought-after players and entertainment dollars.

Kill’s case is sad. He did good work his entire life to reach a position that his system can no longer handle.

Thanks for posting, bleed. Nice to be reminded how worthless soupcan is. Like Kill doesn't know this? A ramshackle team isn't rebuilt over night and Kill is rebuilding/building it brick by brick. Defense and ball control offense first. Passing last because that is a winning route to building a program that is in the dumpster.

Brick by brick.

Can't resist writing about something negative... Forgive and forget becomes harder when we get regular reminders.

Helping Souhan load pack his moving van is on Kill's wish list...

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

There are other writers at the paper to cover the gophers, this isn't in Souhan's wheelhouse. After the article he wrote on how we should ditch Kill because of his health he should stick to related stories like:

People should put their pets to sleep if they get sick instead of going to the vet.

Autistic kids should be institutionalized instead of mainstreamed.

Old people should be put out of their misery.

I really think he can elaborate on those topics with his own special brand of judgment and his disregard of public opinion.

Hey Souhan!

You've been looking for a first date on match.com way longer than Kill's been looking for a QB.

Discredited Journalist spouts drivel

Go cover women's basketball, soccer or lacrosse.

Souhan can take a long walk off a short pier. Never forget.
x2 Says all one needs to know about Souhan. An absolute piece of dirt. What an enlightening column. I'm sure we all learned something from it. Soupcan is an idiot.

I was reluctant to even clicking on this tread. But who the ... does he think he is? We don't need you, you are dead to me. Go back to the Star Tribune who never lifted a finger to suspend or fire you. And a column with no insight and no understanding or the program is superficial at best. The team is built on running the ball, the key will be finding another David Cobb. This team must control the game, must give the defense time to recover. That will not change. What we need is more consistent big plays from the offense. If it comes from the passing game fine. If Mitch can hit at 55% and convert on third down we will be fine.

I think I unwittingly started reading one column of his since the day I vowed to quit reading his stuff. Other than that I have been pretty faithful to my self-promise to cut Souhan out of my reading material. For me, I figure I know a bit about Gopher football and his ill informed slash job on Kill when he was down was so off base, why would I waste my time reading any of his other material considering it may be as ill informed as that piece? I'd rather read a bleacher report 5th grader's take on nuclear fusion.

Long story short... I'll skip this one too.

I believe this is the first thing he has written about Gophs football since the Kill article.

Someone should look to see if he has an Ashley Madison account. I could totally see him having one :clap:

I guess I lack the venom that some people have for this writer.

But I doubt that coach Kill confides in Soupcan about what he wishes for.

Is he incorrect? This article seemed pretty accurate to me. In fact, the article is complimentary to Kill on what he has accomplished on almost every aspect of the team, except the passing game. For people that don't live and breathe Gopher football like the people on this site it is an important angle on the season. To make the next step the passing game must improve and the QB's completion percentage is a good measure of a passing game's efficiency, and the Gophers QB's have been mediocre passers in recent years.

Is he incorrect? This article seemed pretty accurate to me. In fact, the article is complimentary to Kill on what he has accomplished on almost every aspect of the team, except the passing game. For people that don't live and breathe Gopher football like the people on this site it is an important angle on the season. To make the next step the passing game must improve and the QB's completion percentage is a good measure of a passing game's efficiency, and the Gophers QB's have been mediocre passers in recent years.

He cherry-picked a stat that Leidner was last in the conference in rather than use passing efficiency or yards per attempt (which do a better job at judging a QB IMO). Mitch is middle of the pack in the conference using those metrics.

The article is fine by itself, but the fact that it's Souhan finally writing about the Gophers again and he chooses to write about the main weakness on a team filled with strengths, it's just typical.

I think we can have it both ways:
- dislike Souhan's columns
- believe that Leidner needs to take a step forward in the passing game

They are not mutually exclusive.

Who got him the quote from BBC? You can be sure he didn't get over to practice or call him, that would be too much effort for the laziest writer in town.

The passing game has to improve. This is year five of Kill's tenure and I think it's fair to expect better QB play (and a better passing game overall). If you look at the QB's that have been brought in, Roden-McKinzy transferred after reportedly not being able to beat out a preferred walk on and Chris Streveler looks to be changing positions. Now we have Leidner backed up by a true freshman and redshirt walk-on freshman. Time will tell if Leidner, Croft, or (in a few years) Poljian can become a legit upper tier B1G QB. The reports on Leidner haven't been promising, but there does seem to me more optimism about Croft (though that seems standard for backup QB's at most schools).

Two very important bricks are being mudded up in the next two seasons - Passing & pass protection.

Forgiveness is hard to do. I never heard a real apology from you know who.

Nelson was supposed to be the first good passer, but he didn't like to compete for the job, left and messed up his life.

Their plan was to build up the defense and run game first. Those are in place and we now have a crop of talented, very young receivers. Mitch will be fine as they start to change up the play calling. He is not a NFL QB, but we don't need him to be one. Many college programs do just fine without a great passing QB. How many wounded ducks are thrown by the typical Nebraska or Alabama QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom