lot 86 Tailgating

gophers94

Reaction score
Usually we tailgate in the fairgrounds but plans must change for the TCU game with the fair going on. What is the tailgating atmosphere like in lot 86. Have some feelers out for a lot 37 pass but if lots 86 is okay we will stay there. Is the light rail pretty easy to navigate from there?

Getting to the light rail involves a two block walk and then descending the stairs to the median on washington/3rd. Would then take it either one stop east to east bank or two stops to stadium village. Would take about 20-25 minutes to go from boarding the train to reaching the stadium entrance.

No information on the tailgating experience. Haven't been there on game day.

We've been in 86 from day one (actually started in 88 when it still existed as a separate entity). The tailgating is a little more subdued than it is in the lots right by the stadium, but we like it. The spots on the perimeter go fast since there is plenty of grass and space to throw a ball around or play bags, etc. I like the walk to the stadium. It's a great way to see campus. The best part is getting in/out. By the time you get back to the lot after the game, you can pretty much drive right out with not much traffic if you take the right routes.

The Billds have been at Lot 86 from day 1. If you're coming from the west side of town and don't mind the walk (1.1 miles), or the wait for the train, it's a great location. There's also a large public ramp nearby for guests to park and easily get to you.

Tailgating is pretty strong most games. Probably half those in the lot tailgate and the atmosphere is fine. We've not been to the Fairgrounds lots so can't compare.

One little note is that the lot is on a very slight but still modest slope. Because tailgating often includes portable tables, you want them to be stable.

Finally, like anywhere the earlier the better for positions. There are opportunities to tailgate on grass, sidewalks, or the lot paved surface proper.

Because of kids we only get to tailgate 1 or 2 games a year. But every time we have it's been fine.

Welcome aboard if you pull the trigger for TCU!

TCU fan coming up here...what is the tailgating like down at the River Flats lot?

TCU fan coming up here...what is the tailgating like down at the River Flats lot?

River flats is nice, not super pumped up, but lots of room to move around. Plus the place is very scenic. Kind of cool to watch the ice chunks float down the Mississippi...

River flats is nice, not super pumped up, but lots of room to move around. Plus the place is very scenic. Kind of cool to watch the ice chunks float down the Mississippi...

Are there polar bears on the ice chunks?

It's where my buddies and I always park. $10 last year. It can get pretty full for later starts but still plenty of room to toss a ball around or set up some other games.

Are there polar bears on the ice chunks?

The problem is real.

tOAGLzA.png

Appreciate the info...one more question...for the late kickoff what time will the lot start filling up on a Thursday?

The lots open at 2. Might as well start then.

The lots open at 2. Might as well start then.

You read my mind, but at ISU the lots open at 2 for the late games and the people start showing up at 11 am and sometimes earlier to get in line for them.

Can't wait to set up the table, break out the food, the beer, talk some football with some Gopher fans and relax on my vacation up North...can't get here quick enough.

You read my mind, but at ISU the lots open at 2 for the late games and the people start showing up at 11 am and sometimes earlier to get in line for them.

Can't wait to set up the table, break out the food, the beer, talk some football with some Gopher fans and relax on my vacation up North...can't get here quick enough.

It would be nice if we had that problem, but alas, we do not. Roughly half of our group will be arriving to tailgate when the lots open at 2, others will trickle in around 4-5. That's probably reflective of Gopher fans in general.

It would be nice if we had that problem, but alas, we do not. Roughly half of our group will be arriving to tailgate when the lots open at 2, others will trickle in around 4-5. That's probably reflective of Gopher fans in general.

It's probably also relective of there being more to do in MSP than in Ames, Iowa to be honest lol.

Top Bottom