STrib: Richard Pitino, Marlene Stollings among Gophers coaches to get raises

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Gophers men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino was one of six university head coaches to receive raises or contract extensions Tuesday.

Pitino’s annual raise of $400,000 was reported in the Star Tribune earlier this summer but made official with Tuesday’s announcement. The contract extension added two more seasons, through April 2021, to Pitino’s deal.

Women’s basketball coach Marlene Stollings and softball coach Jessica Allister also received raises. Stollings received an annual raise of $75,000. Allister will receive an annual average of about $36,000 more the next two seasons.

The university declined to make the coaches or interim athletic director Beth Goetz available for comment Tuesday after announcing the deals.

“We’re excited to announce new contract agreements for Richard, Marlene and Jess,” Goetz said in a news release. “All three are leading programs on the rise and developing their student-athletes both academically and athletically. We are proud to have them represent Gopher Athletics and the University of Minnesota and look forward to having them in maroon and gold for many years to come.”

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...mong-gophers-coaches-to-get-raises/322870761/

Go Gophers!!

56412779.jpg

"Hey guys... sorry about the Mega-Tongue stuff. Here's thousands of dollars 4 u!"

Wow!

I'm on Pitino's side. He has proven to me he can coach a basketball. He has not proven to me he can recruit or manage a roster and those are pretty important elements to success.
Why would he need or deserve a guaranteed six year contract with raises? Let's say three more guys leave this year? Let's say the season is a surprise to me and we finish 17 and 15?
I think, he might be good but the roster he created in year two had two guys leave the team and one was removed in a year he was sitting out. The season did not meet expectations.
It was year two of an unproven coach. What logic warrants a six year contract?

And know for those of you like to bash, you don't care what I think, I know. I'm just asking what logical administration does that?

Stollings is in year two...she inherited Borton's best roster since the Final Four and had a nice season with Banham hurt....not amazing. Could we see what happens in year two at least? Are they going forward or backwards after Banham graduates or even in year two? Can she coach defense? Etc

Just not understanding. Enlighten me.

Allister certainly deserves the raise and extension. Amazing what she's done in a short amount of time.

Timing tells all from my vantage point. We cannot afford to have more turnover in this department in the next year. Would kill booster funding as well as put the program in a complete tailspin. If we think Pitino was our 6th choice, imagine where we would be fishing with a bran new AD and a stalled facility program?

I'm on Pitino's side. He has proven to me he can coach a basketball. He has not proven to me he can recruit or manage a roster and those are pretty important elements to success.
Why would he need or deserve a guaranteed six year contract with raises? Let's say three more guys leave this year? Let's say the season is a surprise to me and we finish 17 and 15?
I think, he might be good but the roster he created in year two had two guys leave the team and one was removed in a year he was sitting out. The season did not meet expectations.

And know for those of you like to bash, you don't care what I think, I know. I'm just asking what logical administration does that?

Stollings is in year two...she inherited Borton's best roster since the Final Four and had a nice season with Banham hurt....not amazing. Could we see what happens in year two at least? Are they going forward or backwards after Banham graduates or even in year two? Can she coach defense? Etc

In short recruiting tough for a coach to recruit with one or two years on his deal. Six sets up a perception the coach will be there during a recruits prospective four years. As for the money 1.6 mill is still in the bottom tier of the conference so were hardly overpaying.

Reusse is having a conniption over this. Says Gophers have major Title IX issues.

In short recruiting tough for a coach to recruit with one or two years on his deal. Six sets up a perception the coach will be there during a recruits prospective four years. As for the money 1.6 mill is still in the bottom tier of the conference so were hardly overpaying.

I get the recruiting angle...nobody is not coming because he has 3 or 4 years on his deal. Nobody is coming because he has 6 years on his deal. There are other factors far more important...like which way are we trending?

We don't have an AD....I'm guessing we'll get the courage to hire one at some point. The job is now less attractive to candidates. All athletic directors want their own coaches or to inherit a proven coach at minimum. If Pitino has two bad years and we have a new AD who wants a new coach we now have a buyout of $6.4 million. That is beyond dumb!

Guys, just quit whining. He is still a low payed B1G coach, get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, just quit whining. He is still a low payed B1G coach, get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No shiit.

And Reusse complaining about Kill ....who everyone agrees is the best thing since a long time....and he is now what, 8th or 9th highest in Big Ten?

Then Reusse and others keep saying they shouldn't be giving out all this money during the Teague scandal.

Lot of stupid people in the world.

No shiit.

And Reusse complaining about Kill ....who everyone agrees is the best thing since a long time....and he is now what, 8th or 9th highest in Big Ten?

Then Reusse and others keep saying they shouldn't be giving out all this money during the Teague scandal.

Lot of stupid people in the world.

Kill is highly comp'd. It's amazing. And not everyone agrees "he's the best thing since a long time"...

...Pitino's new comp - no problem with it. It's within a reasonable range.

All the others.. I don't know. It just looks goofy to hand out a ton of raises right after the AD gets canned. It makes it seem like, "hey we have problems here... we recognize that and need to give you more money to stay and be happy"... and that's because it's the reality.

Ideally raises are handed out for exceptional performance... here, they are partly being handed out for x-rated performance... courtesy of Mega Tongue.

But a standalone analysis of Pitino's pay leaves me with one comment: Looks reasonable.

If you compare Kill's pay to his B1G peers (ie, the market) and then look at their relative finishes in the standings the last 2 years, along with Minnesota's APR and the positive off-field image of the players and program ... I don't know how anyone could suggest that Kill is paid too much or doesn't deserve what he's getting.

If you compare Kill's pay to his B1G peers (ie, the market) and then look at their relative finishes in the standings the last 2 years, along with Minnesota's APR and the positive off-field image of the players and program ... I don't know how anyone could suggest that Kill is paid too much or doesn't deserve what he's getting.

wat

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Titans-RBs-Coach-Sylvester-Croom-Breaks-Down-his-Backs/96ba7e54-2834-4c1f-8af7-c507aa4b8fc0

That's a fun game.

Georgia’s Mark Richt and Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops tied as the top choice as the coach the other FBS coaches would want their son to play for. Minnesota’s Jerry Kill and Stanford’s David Shaw tied for third, each receiving 7 percent of the votes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/98683/coaches-want-sons-to-play-for-richt-stoops

'No joke': Minnesota tough enough to win Big Ten West in 2015

“You play Minnesota; you know you are going to get power, power, power," Nebraska safety Nate Gerry said at Big Ten Media Days.

“My dad has always said that Jerry Kill is one of the best coaches that he's ever coached against,” Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh added.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2015-08-13/minnesota-gophers-jerry-kill-big-ten-west-sleeper-pick

During that time, between 2007 and 2010, Minnesota only sent four players to the NFL Draft. That number has been matched by the Gophers 2015 draft class alone, with four players being selected this past year.

The school with the largest draft class, the national champion Ohio State Buckeyes, led the way with five. Minnesota was tied for second with Michigan State at four.

The 2016 class already has another four players projected to be NFL draft picks and there should be even more as the season plays out.

http://isportsweb.com/2015/05/09/minnesota-football-the-emergence-of-the-gophers/

My point is not that Pitino makes $1.6 million. It's the going rate because he coaches in the Big Ten. Perfectly acceptable. It's the 6 years...he's not quite earned a lifetime contract yet. I'd like to see him get his team IN the NCCA Tournament at a minimum before we decide we want him for six years. There are a lot of dang good coaches who make less. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Kill is highly comp'd. It's amazing. And not everyone agrees "he's the best thing since a long time"...

...Pitino's new comp - no problem with it. It's within a reasonable range.

All the others.. I don't know. It just looks goofy to hand out a ton of raises right after the AD gets canned. It makes it seem like, "hey we have problems here... we recognize that and need to give you more money to stay and be happy"... and that's because it's the reality.

Ideally raises are handed out for exceptional performance... here, they are partly being handed out for x-rated performance... courtesy of Mega Tongue.

But a standalone analysis of Pitino's pay leaves me with one comment: Looks reasonable.

If those raises were already in the works(which it seems they were), then why should Teague's screw ups prevent those coaches getting what they were supposed to get.

For someone who is all too eager to put down anything Gophers, you will always find something to rip about.

Reusse is having a conniption over this. Says Gophers have major Title IX issues.

Reusse doesn't understand Title IX, because every school does it almost exactly the same way.

Reusse doesn't understand Title IX, because every school does it almost exactly the same way.
Not many people do. It was never designed for equality purposes, it was designed for opportunity. The irony is the biggest losers when it comes to Title IX are male non revenue sports within an athletic department, not women's athletics. Non revenue sports will never be on par with the big two at a functional University, it just doesn't make economical sense.

Actually he does understand it. He only admits it when someone else brings it up. Why he has this agenda...I don't know.

Not many people do. It was never designed for equality purposes, it was designed for opportunity. The irony is the biggest losers when it comes to Title IX are male non revenue sports within an athletic department, not women's athletics. Non revenue sports will never be on par with the big two at a functional University, it just doesn't make economical sense.

If all the 'extra' money goes to men's non-revenue sports, and then title IX comes along.....of course the men's non-revenue sports will suffer.

Really? That was the best Pam Borton could do since the Final Four? There was absolutely no depth on that team, if Stollings doesn't bring in Shea Kelley, they are maybe a 15 win team with Banham going down and teams could easily triple team Zahui B. I went to just a couple of games and it was a much better game to watch then Borton's slow, plodding gameplan. Stollings only had about 7 players at most who could play at a decent level. As far as Pitino, the jury is still out and he better produce an NCAA birth this year or next or the seat will be very hot.

Yet this same guy broke the team record for rushing yards in a season. Your opinion is already made up about Kill and it really doesn't matter what happens this year or in the future. You'll try to find ways to downplay him and team's success.

I'm not saying anything. That's an NFL coach speaking, not me.

Top Bottom